Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Textbook confirmation bias. "Any view that disagrees with me is irrelevant."

And by the by, Eisenhower's letter was in response to a private letter he received from a New York dentist complaining about him having Lee's portrait in his office (I even posted that letter in this thread); not even remotely "pandering to southern white racists."

And Ford's speech came after signing a bill that passed the house 407 votes to 10, and the Senate unanimously. So no pandering there.
    I'm sorry, but what does any of that have to do with the Confederacy being a regime built on slavery, treason, and white supremacy? Those Robert E Lee statues were erected because he led the Confederate army, not because he was a nice guy after he got beaten by the US army.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    I'm sorry, but what does any of that have to do with the Confederacy being a regime built on slavery, treason, and white supremacy? Those Robert E Lee statues were erected because he led the Confederate army, not because he was a nice guy after he got beaten by the US army.
    If several different Presidents of the United States paying honor to him doesn't get through to you, nothing will.

Hopefully it did to somebody reading this who is actually open to reason, though.

If several different Presidents of the United States paying honor to him doesn't get through to you, nothing will.

Hopefully it did to somebody reading this who is actually open to reason, though.
    We've decided that the "outstanding moral fiber" of Robert E. Lee is no longer relevant in light of the cause he supported.

Like I said; pandering to southern racists is no longer a necessary way to hold sway in politics. There's no reason to pay lip service to them by "honoring" their traitorous so-called heroes.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

What does that matter? Does that change the fact that the Confederacy was a regime whose foundation was built on White supremacy and the subjugation of minority groups? Does that change the 100 years of brutal apartheid and terrorism committed by ex-Confederates when the war was over? Robert E. Lee led those forces knowing full well what they were. If he was truly an honorable man who disagreed with it and turned a blind eye to it, then that makes him complicit. If he agreed with those deplorable principles, that makes him just as evil as the regime itself.

Those facts don't change just because a couple of U.S. Presidents thought he was a hero.