Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What Happened to Jewelcrafting?

(Edit: I should preface this with the fact that I do not currently have a max JC character (my highest is still in Draenor, I think) so I do not exactly know where JC stands in the current incarnation)

The profession is still in the game, I know!

No, my question is what happened to the original purpose of JC? I've been playing through Outland lately and acquiring all sorts of gear with every color of gems just loaded onto a single piece. It's been fun finding gem vendors and JCs to help me enhance my armor while leveling. Always seemed like a neat additional feature, but on all my high levels, I have maybe a helmet that randomly procs titanforged and comes with a meta gem socket (and there is no gameplay to a meta, just fill it with your BiS gem).
    The same goes for inscription, the gameplay systems that these professions respectively introduced seem to have been more or less shoved under the proverbial rug.

Does anyone miss the original function of Jewelcrafting (or inscription for that matter) and would you like to see a return to the old style? Or are you comfortable letting it retain only minor functions?
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

7+ Year Old Account
    I can ask the same thing regarding Blacksmithing. It crafted some darn amazing gear, but nowadays that gear is pretty darn pointless since you can so very easily get gear better than them. They used to serve a purpose to also fix sharpening stones to increase your damage a litte bit for an hour, but that was removed. Another thing it did later on to still make it useful at max, was that it could create socket slots for yourself in certain equipment - and one or two items that were BoE to allow others to use them. Which was, of course, removed.

So yeah, regarding ANY profession like these: Would be nice if they added in SOMETHING to make them serve some kind of end-game purpose. As for now, I've only created equipment for the sake of transmog.

I still have no idea why this was removed. Blizzard claims they want you to be able to equip gear right away when you loot it but gutting jewelcrafting and limiting enchanting to a few slots with generic enchants seems excessive.
    With the sheer amount of gear we get on a daily basis and these changes on top of the titanforging along with the streamlining of stats gear have never felt so bland, unrewarding and meaningless.

They've made them such niche professions, especially Inscription... JC sucks now ever since they made sockets a proc instead of a static part of gear.

The only professions that seems to actually serve a purpose this expansion seems to be alchemy, enchanting and engineering. All other professions don't really seem worth the effort. Inscription has tomes and I guess the trinkets are decent but the glyph system is now complete trash.

I feel most professions have been extremely watered down. I mean most of them serve little purpose outside of the first few weeks of an expansion and if you are luck one or two things that continue to have purpose.

JC got thrown under the bus with every other element of non-cosmetic character customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I don't miss days when i had to gem, enchant and reforge every piece of gear. Double this for every alt you have.

I'm doing milllions thanks to all my professions, so no you can still do A LOT of gold. Apparently people are more concerned with reaching 800 points in profession than profits it provides. I can agree that it would be good to have one of two HC ilvl items to wear.

Also i can't be happy enough about everyone thinking professions are shit, pls keep spreading that information while people like me are rolling in gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Professions are the end of an expansion tends to go dull. Though, with 7.3 and 7.3.5 coming, seems more updated gear will appear.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Except for Alchemy and Enchanting there's really no useful profession anymore. And Level/Rep gating ruins them all. I don't like Legion's rework.

I think a return of the extra socket would be nice. It sucks so hard when all your gear has no socket. Atleast let ppl with bad luck get a socket to get their main stat gem.

Well at least legendary rings and necks always come with a socket... and the useless crafted legendaries come with 3 sockets.

I think they went too far in reducing them, but back in WoTLK all your pieces of gear had at least one socket, which was shit for non-jewelcrafters. You may remember it fondly, but having to buy 3 gems whenever I replace a chest was not fun for me. The majority of players are not jewelcrafters.

If you could de-socket gems then I wouldn't mind, just switch them around gear, but since that is not the case, having a ton of socket is pretty awful for non-jewelcrafters. And content was tuned to gear having sockets, so there was no real "extra power" from them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    Well at least legendary rings and necks always come with a socket... and the useless crafted legendaries come with 3 sockets.

I think they went too far in reducing them, but back in WoTLK all your pieces of gear had at least one socket, which was shit for non-jewelcrafters. You may remember it fondly, but having to buy 3 gems whenever I replace a chest was not fun for me. The majority of players are not jewelcrafters.

If you could de-socket gems then I wouldn't mind, just switch them around gear, but since that is not the case, having a ton of socket is pretty awful for non-jewelcrafters. And content was tuned to gear having sockets, so there was no real "extra power" from them.
    Tbh it's the same with enchants. I'd say let's have a couple "fixed" gems slots, like we have a couple pieces to enchant. I wouldn't mind having, say, helm chest and legs always with a socket. It's not much more of a chore than enchanting a ring, and it would give relevance to JC just as enchanting has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Tbh it's the same with enchants. I'd say let's have a couple "fixed" gems slots, like we have a couple pieces to enchant. I wouldn't mind having, say, helm chest and legs always with a socket. It's not much more of a chore than enchanting a ring, and it would give relevance to JC just as enchanting has.
    Whatever they do, I hope they get rid of the RNG shitfest.

Well there used to be sockets, with colors, and choices to make, and like, fun for the players.

Now that's gone, and not replaced by anything that makes the game better.

Armor crafting professions, JC and enchanting have all had their roles greatly reduced. JC's value is determined on items procing a gem slot that isn't a base feature of that item 99% of the time. Right now the only professions worth having deal with flowers and herbs in one form or another. Be it picking them or making potions, flasks, glyphs or cards with them. Right now we are in a bad profession expansion following another bad one.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Jewelcrafting is still used to make gems but they've changed it so gems don't have primary stats any more unless its an epic gem. Any gem can fit in any socket and there are no meta gems any more. The big issue is that sockets are now warforged and only appear on gear randomly rather than being on gear automatically. I'm not an economist so I can't really say if this makes gems more valuable or makes the profession less valuable to have. It may just be the same at this point. What they should have done is make it so some pieces of gear (tier/rings/necks for example) will always have sockets that need to be used.

Professions right now need an overhaul bad. Right now the only ones that are really in use are alchemy and cooking. There is a constant demand for pots and food. They will never not be useful. But gear crafting falls quickly behind the curve when you can just get titanforged gear.

I can only speak for myself but i make all my enchants, gems, flasks, pots and bufffood myself. I have 1 main char that has engi and mining since late bc and 3 alts with the other crafting professions on lvl 110. Doing a few wq's with the blood enchant gives so much blood that i have almost every mats on stock to craft what i need.
    I rarely buy something from the ah except i was too lazy and raidport is gone in 1 min.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gerlach1025 View Post
    The only professions that seems to actually serve a purpose this expansion seems to be alchemy, enchanting and engineering. All other professions don't really seem worth the effort. Inscription has tomes and I guess the trinkets are decent but the glyph system is now complete trash.
    yup. just seems like professions in general have pretty much gone off the cliff in terms of usage.

Because:
    1) players were crying they just had to go back to some major city to enchant and socket their gear(and reforge when that was a thing) in the middle of the raid
    2) casuals players were whining it was too expensive to buy gems, enchants and shit
    3) amazing gear is "too complex" to craft and "too expensive" for casuals that think they are making profit crafting some mass produced shit and then putting it on AH for less than what the mats costed