Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you play an MMO if it doesn't have flying?

People often complain about flying in WoW. But I wonder how many people play other MMO's where you never get flying? Is flying a dealbreaker for you for any MMO?

I pay for WoW despite it having flying. Not having flying would just mean one less annoyance and of course I'd keep playing WoW.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Doesn't matter. Flying doesn't make or break a game for me. Played MMOs with and without it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Flying is such an insignificant part of WoW and MMO's in general that I couldn't care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. I have, do and will continue to play an MMO without flying. It's such a small part of any game that it's not going to influence my decision to play or not.

I enjoy guild wars 2 and there's no flying in it. They are about to
    Introduce ground mounts in the next xpac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Not really, I play plenty of games without flying. It is nice having the option to find a game that does have flying though, but thats more about alternatives rather than having a game be a "make or break."
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Guild Wars 2 doesn't have flying and the game is super fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one and only reason no flying should be a deal breaker is if the game was designed to have flying and doesn't have it... And no developer with half a brain would do that.

So yeah, I would and do play MMOs without flying.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't care about flying if I have fast travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Sure, as long as it has some kind of expedited travel in it (like GW 2 does). And if they don't make ground travel so utterly obnoxious, you don't need flight nearly as much. Still, it's a nice thing to have, like in FF14.

I play Blade & Soul, Revelation Online, and Tera and they each have their own form of flying.

I wouldn't avoid an MMO without it, but just having flying available gives me a sense of relief and safe comfort.

I would and I do, however.. those games tend to have

1. instant travel to variety of map points, not just your hearth point and those travel points are VERY plentiful, not few and far inbetween.
    2. much more traversable terrain with far fewer arbitrary "you cannot climb that tiny hill or going through that giant opening in a foliage, because reasons"
    3. at this point soaring over WoW zones and collecting various mounts to do so" is at least 50% of appeal of the game. maybe even more like 70%. its one of the few things that WoW has and other MMO's that I like do not (final fantasy notwithstanding, I'm not interested in that game becasue everything else in it doesn't appeal to me - gliding in GW2 is not even remotely the same, and I dislike it about as much as I dislike gliders in WoW, not interested in other games with some form of flying mentioned since while I don't wish to play WoW without flying, I also don't play it just becasue there's flying).

if this is a veiled anti flying thread? cute. nice try. I have pretty much come to a point where WoW content for me is no fly? no buy. other MMO's? that depends.

I really love flying. If a game does not have it, it needs no Dazed bullshit, and teleports. I played GW2, Skyforge, Tera.

In wow i dont like flying at all. but i remember playing it in AION. and i think i worked the way when u were out in the world you could only run around but inside those battlezone you had wings and ccould fly around and battle in the air. was quite cool, but probably also hard to balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am more of opinion that having flying where there isn't suppose to be is a deal breaker. Especially in more Sandbox mmo's it allowing you to avoid danger and ganks is most detrimental to a community build around that risk/reward system.

In themeparks i could not care less.

Flying doesnt add anything. If devs added more shit that flying allows you to access then it would be important. Nowadays in mmos its just unlocking the ability to play less game to do the same things.

Honestly, the only reason I ever feel like flying is necessary in wow is for long distances. That could be fixed just as well with faster ground mounts. I have played MMOs without flying before and have in fact yet to finish pathfinder on either continent that requires it and I am alive, so yeah. I will be ok.

Most MMOs don't have flying- so yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play SWTOR and more recently, ESO, and while both have ground mounts, neither have flying mounts. So, I guess the answer is yes.