Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Potential Sub-Races

So, with all the expansion leaks and speculation, wanted to chime in myself. Was curious, what do you lot think'd be feasible as playable sub-races in the next expansion pack? I'm hoping for Nightborne, High Elves and the orc/dwarf/tauren sub-races personally. Krokul too!

Deleted
    Gilgoblins, of course!

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wildhammer and Dark Iron dwarves, Brown orcs and maybe leper gnomes.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asian-looking humans would be a plus...

Deleted
    Yaungol, Jinyu.

Deleted
    They don't really need sub-races, just a bunch of extra character customization features which would allow you to create whichever sub-race you like.

Quote Originally Posted by JainaKulTirasGamescom View Post
    They don't really need sub-races, just a bunch of extra character customization features which would allow you to create whichever sub-race you like.
    Pretty much this. I'd much rather have customization features, than sub-races.

Sub-races would benefit the RP community, which means they're likely to never happen :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JainaKulTirasGamescom View Post
    That's exactly the same thing just worded differently lol.

I dont care about subraces, I wish I could play some worgen shit on Horde

Man, why does ally has all the nice races?! Fuck that!

Quote Originally Posted by Athelstan123 View Post
    That's exactly the same thing just worded differently lol.
    Not exactly. Subraces also have the possible issue of new starter areas (from story and integration perspective) for them which simply adding customisation wouldn't require. Not saying that is how Blizzard would implement them but I could see that as a possibility as a Dark Iron starting in Dun Morogh would be a bit out of place (not a problem for me though). They've already done something like this by moving the gnomes starting area to the Gnomeregan area from Coldridge Valley so full zones wouldn't necessarily be required if they could be linked into the normal starter zones.

And they've starter areas for Goblins and Worgen that you don't go back to which I feel is a waste.

As long as it's possible to update a current character in game (at the barber shop for instance) I'd be happy.

Deleted
    Well the problem is that without another new class a lot of people aren't going to bother creating a new character.
    I know I'm not ever if they include super duper hobgoblin yaunkas.

Quote Originally Posted by mcalexev View Post
    So, with all the expansion leaks and speculation, wanted to chime in myself. Was curious, what do you lot think'd be feasible as playable sub-races in the next expansion pack? I'm hoping for Nightborne, High Elves and the orc/dwarf/tauren sub-races personally. Krokul too!
    I can't see anyone being happy with extra customisation features being passed off as a "sub race".

Sub-races open a lot of possibilities, including race/class combos that we wouldn't agree with otherwise. Wanted Draenei Rogue/Warlock? Well, let's have Eredar who will now be leaderless or those going rogue (like Val'zuun in Dalaran) join in. Night Elf Warlock? What about Satyr subrace then!

There are also multiple possibilities, like hunchless orcs or undead (in form of half-orcs or "recent dead"), hunched barbaric humans (vrykul/half-giants), undead elves (Darkfallen San'layn/Dark Ranger type), "evil Alliance races" (like mentioned Eredar and Satyrs), etc. So yeah, I would welcome it over new class or new races.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Sub-races open a lot of possibilities, including race/class combos that we wouldn't agree with otherwise. Wanted Draenei Rogue/Warlock? Well, let's have Eredar who will now be leaderless or those going rogue (like Val'zuun in Dalaran) join in. Night Elf Warlock? What about Satyr subrace then!

There are also multiple possibilities, like hunchless orcs or undead (in form of half-orcs or "recent dead"), hunched barbaric humans (vrykul/half-giants), undead elves (Darkfallen San'layn/Dark Ranger type), "evil Alliance races" (like mentioned Eredar and Satyrs), etc. So yeah, I would welcome it over new class or new races.
    The only race I've not got a reasonably high character with is Forsaken. I just don't like the models that much. Some variation would be nice. I always thought it would have been nice to have the option to be a skeleton without the fleshy bits. And the stoop in males I don't like.

I want neutral Mecha-Gnomes, make them the accidental product of an experiment by Mimiron which he decides to send out into the world to obtain data for additional experiments.

Undead.

I mean real kind of undead. Not the regular Lordaeron human, not death knights.
    Undead version of every race.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    I want neutral Mecha-Gnomes, make them the accidental product of an experiment by Mimiron which he decides to send out into the world to obtain data for additional experiments.
    I've always wanted Mecha-Gnomes myself. I think WoW could use a playable robotic type race.

Deleted
    If sub races become a thing then i really hope on atleast:

Brown/grey/red Orcs.
    Forest Trolls.
    Undead high elfs.

My concept:

If a sub-race can be achieved by just a new skin, then it'll be just a new skin. So, Maghar, Wildhammer and so on would be just new skins.
    "Sub-race", in this concept, is when the model is different from base race. For example, Broken from Draenei or Taunka for Tauren. Sub-races, in this context, would have:
    - Its own customization options (for example, options for faces/horns would be different for Taunka)
    - Its own set of classes available (for example, Broken could be Warlocks or Rogues, unlike Draenei)
    - Its own racial identification in the tooltip ("Broken" instead of "Draenei")
    - A different narration when you start a new character, explaining your sub-race.

My idea of a possible selection of new customization features and sub-races is that not every race would get a sub-race. There would be only a few sub-races, but other races would be compensated by getting way more customization options, including body types. Here's how I'd do it.

Unprecedented Customization Options:
    For all races:
    - New hairstyles
    - New skin and hair colors

Death Knights:
    - Add option to choose eye glow (standard, red, green or none).
    - New "Cult of the Damned" skins.

Humans:
    - New faces and hair that allow ethinic variation (asian-like, black-like features, curled hair types)
    - Body type (choose between current muscular or new agile body types for both males and females)

Dwarves:
    - New beards
    - Wildhammer and Dark Iron skins

Night Elves:
    - Can choose eye glow (yellow or blue, not linked to sex anymore)
    - New tatoos (including males' and body tattoos)
    - Subrace: High Elf. After the events of Legion, the high elves, under the protection of the Silver Covenant, have been strengthening their ties to both the Night Elves and the Wildhammer dwarves.

Gnomes:
    - New faces, skins and hairstyles (Including the smiling female we almost got in WoD)

Draenei:
    - New skins, including partially corrupted (greyish, redish)
    - Eye color (blue, golden, violet, light green)
    - Tails (including longer options and tail accessories)
    - New horns
    - Subrace: Broken. From both Outland and Argus, the krokul outcasts have been searching a new beginning for their lives.

Worgen:
    - New skins, faces
    - High-res models.
    - Human model customization separated from Worgen's.

Orcs:
    - New faces
    - Skins for every orc type: fel-tainted red, brown (light and dark), grey (light and dark)
    - Tatoos (like Bleeding Hollow)/Body paint
    - Body type: Choose between hunched or straight back.

Tauren:
    - Skins for Grimtotem, Highmountain and new ones.
    - More faces (specially for female)
    - New horns (including Hightmountain)
    - Subrace: Taunka. The formidable taunka of Northrend have been exploring the world beyond.

Trolls:
    - Skins for forest, ice, desert
    - New tatoos/fangs
    - Body types: Standard slim or muscular (like Forest Trolls).
    - (At first I considering making Forest Trolls a subrace, but then came the idea of combining new skins and body types, so we could make a proper forest troll, a muscular jungle troll, a slim ice troll or other combinations that wouldn't be possible with just one subrace).

Undead:
    - New skins
    - Eye glow: choose between standard yellow, blue (like Lilian Voss'), green or red.
    - Body type: Option to hide bones
    - Subraces: Forsaken Elf (uses blood elf model). The elves killed by the Scourge, now in service of Sylvanas; Elite Forsaken (uses human models with dead skins; based on recent Nathanos story). New developments would allow Sylvanas to strengthen a few more Forsaken, creating an elite cadre of champions.

Blood Elf
    - New skins (including options both for partially fel-infused [darker tones, redish, scars] and more akin to night elf/nightborne ancestry [lighter tones, slightly greyish or bluish])
    - Eye glow: choose standard green, blue, silvery or golden
    - Tattoos and arcane runes
    - Subrace: Nightborne. After the events of Suramar, a good number of nightborne have formed a deeper bond with their long-lost Sin'dorei cousins. In order to study with them and have access to the Sunwell, these nightborne have pledged allegiance to Silvermoon.

Goblin:
    - New high-res models
    - New options for faces and hairstyles
    - Body types (standard slim or slightly fat)

Pandaren:
    - MORE FACES!