Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Moving to Japan, server & latency

Hey guys,
    So I play on EU realms and I'll be moving to Japan for a year at the end of September. Will I have latency issues? What options would I have?

If you can get whatever fiber optic service (cannot recall the name), you should be fine. I play on a US server and I think my ping was regularly around 200-300 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    If you can get whatever fiber optic service (cannot recall the name), you should be fine. I play on a US server and I think my ping was regularly around 200-300 I think.
    That would drive me nuts, tbh.

Deleted
    You're going to a different country for a year... I wouldn't be thinking about playing WoW to be honest.

I have done exactly what you are about to, and I cannot recommend playing on EU. Latency often spikes to 300+, and that's got nothing to do with my connection (which is a 750mbps fiber optic line). It's not literally unplayable, but if you ever want to raid or do anything remotely skillful, then you're not going to like it.

That being said, I simply switched and got a US account. Playing on Oceanic servers, it's around 100ms (130-140 during peak) which is very playable even in raids and high M+. I haven't noticed any latency-related problems, and it's a different world entirely from EU servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can expect a ping of around 200-250 if you're lucky. Mostly it is going to be 300 to basically any number. You're also going to have some serious rubber banding.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfield View Post
    You're going to a different country for a year... I wouldn't be thinking about playing WoW to be honest.
    What is this supposed to mean anyways? It's not like he won't have any free time for himself and he is free to do however he pleases. He doesn't have to be sniffing culture for one year straight.
    Last edited by Shuji V2; 2017-08-19 at 06:18 AM.

A bit off topic but still relevent iam going back to England in 3 years time and i still wanna play wow. I play on a Pacific time US server and i wonder if i will even be able to play it on a reason FPS.

This.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    A bit off topic but still relevent iam going back to England in 3 years time and i still wanna play wow. I play on a Pacific time US server and i wonder if i will even be able to play it on a reason FPS.
    Will affect ping and connection stability, not FPS

you can expect a ping of maybe 200 and everyone will be starting their raids at 1am

I play on EU servers from Japan. It's not ideal (some of the more finicky specs might be tough to play), but playable. I typically get ~250ms latency on the Nuro fiber optic service.

A much bigger problem is finding a guild that'll accommodate your timeslot if you want to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I play on EU realms and I'll be moving to Japan for a year at the end of September. Will I have latency issues? What options would I have?
    Depending on your net, your latency will be okayish. Your timezone difference will be massive though so always keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    This.

/10char
    Um, as the guy above said, what is this even supposed to mean? I am going there for a YEAR. An entire year lol. Sure, time flies, but, do you think I will be walking outside day and night? I won't have unlimited money to just freely travel all around Japan or go out with friends every day? Sure, my time will be limited due to the heavy courses I will be taking, but I was originally planning to play atleast one hour a week, for the sake of immersing myself into a fantasy world to keep myself sane. I need that. Studying is too mentally exhausting otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    fiber optic service
    whatever is fiber optic service, please elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I have done exactly what you are about to, and I cannot recommend playing on EU. Latency often spikes to 300+, and that's got nothing to do with my connection (which is a 750mbps fiber optic line). It's not literally unplayable, but if you ever want to raid or do anything remotely skillful, then you're not going to like it.

That being said, I simply switched and got a US account. Playing on Oceanic servers, it's around 100ms (130-140 during peak) which is very playable even in raids and high M+. I haven't noticed any latency-related problems, and it's a different world entirely from EU servers.
    Ouch. How do you "switch" to a US account? I take it you mean you just made a new account? What happens to it when you go back to Europe? Ditch it? The main reason I want to play WoW and not some other game, is because I want to progress on the account I already have, getting the stuff that might disappear when the expansion is over (and even if there's not much going away, my time will be severely limited)... Making a new account for the sake of playing WoW won't suffice...

Quote Originally Posted by Quro View Post
    I play on EU servers from Japan. It's not ideal (some of the more finicky specs might be tough to play), but playable. I typically get ~250ms latency on the Nuro fiber optic service.

A much bigger problem is finding a guild that'll accommodate your timeslot if you want to raid.
    Okay, I had forgotten about the time difference.... despite all the experience I have with managing the EU-Japan time lag when I talk with my Japanese friends. That's gonna suck... But then again, it might actually help me. Raiding in the morning sounds like lots of fun. Especially on Saturdays and Sundays.

heavy courses
    Not sure which school you're going to, but I'd say you're overestimating the amount of time school normally takes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Quro View Post
    Not sure which school you're going to, but I'd say you're overestimating the amount of time school normally takes here.
    University. Osaka University. Japanese Language and Culture Program. My sempai (yes, we do use that word in all seriousness) who is currently there has lectures from dawn till dusk every day. And projects to do every week. And you can't skip lectures... You really can't. If I do that or if I fail some exam, I will have to return the scholarship

whatever is fiber optic service, please elaborate
    Most internet in Japan is now optical fiber, using light impulses rather than electricity to conduct the data. It's generally just a faster, better internet than elsewhere. I use Softbank, which is about 4,000 Yen a month for a 750mbps up and down connection. But there are a ton of providers, and availability varies with your area.

Ouch. How do you "switch" to a US account? I take it you mean you just made a new account? What happens to it when you go back to Europe?
    I suppose it's different for me since I have no plans of returning (at least anytime in the foreseeable future). But yes, it means ditching it - unlike, say, Diablo III, where you can just keep the account and merely switch servers. If you want to keep your EU account and keep building onto it, then there's really little choice other than to bite the bullet and play with high latency. It's not UNPLAYABLY bad, but it can get annoying real fast. And if your usual playstyle is very crisp and split-second triggery, you'll be in for a rude awakening to be sure. However, if you play something with a more relaxed pace and clear structure (like, idk, an MM hunter or a warlock or whatever) then you can probably keep raiding - in which case timezone differences will be your main problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this. Also, Jpn to EU is pretty far, guessing the latency will be noticeable. Having fiber optic connection in Japan doesn't help when the ping needs to travel through cable from Japan to EU (where the servers are) and back.

You're only going to be there for a year, take that time to take a break from WoW/games and take in the culture.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    University. Osaka University. Japanese Language and Culture Program. My sempai (yes, we do use that word in all seriousness) who is currently there has lectures from dawn till dusk every day. And projects to do every week. And you can't skip lectures... You really can't. If I do that or if I fail some exam, I will have to return the scholarship
    Honestly it's really hard to fail an exam in Japan and you're taking this way too serious lol. Your exam isn't going to be 100% of your final grade, more close to 40% usually or less. Attendance, participation, homework, presentations and other things factor in as well.

As for attendance, standard practice within Japanese Universities is that you're supposed to attend 2/3rd of a semester in order to be able to pass your class. If you don't, you'll get a default F and fail. This means you can potentially miss up to 1/3rd of a semester (5 weeks!!!) which is something I would've killed for back in my home university in the Netherlands lol.

Anyways it's going to be fine and a total cakewalk compared to where you are coming from I'm sure. You will have a lot of homework though, I really hated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    You're only going to be there for a year, take that time to take a break from WoW/games and take in the culture.
    Also people should really stop saying this crap. It's totally feasible to play some WoW or other games for a few hours a week after making some homework or on a rainy day or whatever. You need some time to relax and unwind and it's not a good idea to get out and about all of the time in addition to the study course. You'll break in just a few weeks if you don't take some time to relax.
    Last edited by Shuji V2; 2017-08-19 at 07:51 AM.

Well, maybe if you're undergrad. When I got my graduate engineering degree here, it was probably the most relaxed 2 years of my adult life.

take in the culture.
    Unless by that you mean "go out clubbing every night", there's really isn't enough culture to take in to make you give up your normal hobbies. Especially over the stretch of a year.
    Last edited by Quro; 2017-08-19 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Most internet in Japan is now optical fiber, using light impulses rather than electricity to conduct the data. It's generally just a faster, better internet than elsewhere. I use Softbank, which is about 4,000 Yen a month for a 750mbps up and down connection. But there are a ton of providers, and availability varies with your area.

I suppose it's different for me since I have no plans of returning (at least anytime in the foreseeable future). But yes, it means ditching it - unlike, say, Diablo III, where you can just keep the account and merely switch servers. If you want to keep your EU account and keep building onto it, then there's really little choice other than to bite the bullet and play with high latency. It's not UNPLAYABLY bad, but it can get annoying real fast. And if your usual playstyle is very crisp and split-second triggery, you'll be in for a rude awakening to be sure. However, if you play something with a more relaxed pace and clear structure (like, idk, an MM hunter or a warlock or whatever) then you can probably keep raiding - in which case timezone differences will be your main problem.
    I see. I main a ret pala, but do plan to play my MM hunter as well as level a WW monk for the challenge artifact skin (if possible).

Pretty much this.

Already, answered this, but I will go into a little bit more detail - I've been taking a "break" from WoW/games for 11 years. In 3 days I will finally get my new PC, which I have been waiting for 11 years. It is time to stop "taking a break" and finally enjoy some WoW/games the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. Not with 0.4 to 5 FPS (not exaggerating).

Playing games once in a while boosts my concentration levels a lot (and I usually have concentration issues). So I am going to play games regardless of anything. Whether it is merely for fun or to help me with studying. I am not going to play all day and night. I am thinking of 1-2 hours a week, so don't worry about it guys. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Honestly it's really hard to fail an exam in Japan and you're taking this way too serious lol. Your exam isn't going to be 100% of your final grade, more close to 40% usually or less. Attendance, participation, homework, presentations and other things factor in as well.

As for attendance, standard practice within Japanese Universities is that you're supposed to attend 2/3rd of a semester in order to be able to pass your class. If you don't, you'll get a default F and fail. This means you can potentially miss up to 1/3rd of a semester (5 weeks!!!) which is something I would've killed for back in my home university in the Netherlands lol.

Anyways it's going to be fine and a total cakewalk compared to where you are coming from I'm sure. You will have a lot of homework though, I really hated that.
    I didn't say I am scared of failing it. I said I cannot afford to fail it. I know I will put the necessary effort and time in order not to. But that will be at the cost of my time for games and other things. Which was the problem I was referring to. I won't have time to play that much. But that is fine. I am patient.

I don't intend to skip any lectures nonetheless. Principles. Well, we will see how it goes. I am preparing myself for the worst. If it's easier than I expect or have been told, all the better. But it is the homework that I hate the most. We have so much in my university... I actually doubt even Osaka University can top that (And we have all that homework because our specialization, Japanology, strives to imitate Japan's university/school system, though they kinda overdo it.)

Sadly the issue for you will be less a matter of internet standards and more one caused by the sheer distance between the servers and yourself.

In a typical sense, you would be getting around 200-250ms. If it's an option you might have better latencies to the OCE servers.

As for playability, well as an Australian myself I can tell you that playing at 250ms is easily done once you adjust. In a general sense, WoW is quite forgiving on the latency angle compared to other games.