View Poll Results: What makes life worth living? (In the end)

Voters
39. This poll is closed
  • Enjoying it.

25 64.10%
  • Love.

7 17.95%
  • Serving Others.

0 0%
  • Other (Comment below)

7 17.95%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yes being in shape is better for your health and but it isn't going to always keep you safe, and working out isn't always going to keep you healthy
    Yes, and at any point of your life, you can get hit by a bus, struck by lightning, choke on a sandwich or die in an earthquake. By all accounts, people should constantly be running and screaming on the streets, hoping a disaster won't strike. But I think most people understand life is a lottery, even those who are trying to reduce the chances of something bad happening.

As for being in shape / working out, it isn't just about your health. It's a stress relief and a confidence boost too. It's also considered attractive, shows dedication and discipline. So you might get more out of it that simple weight reduction and muscle increase.

Its all about likelihood of staying more healthy. Still anything can happen to anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    To be clear, I HATE it when people use rare examples like these to just throw in the towel and justify being fat slobs. Being fit and eating right still matters for lots of reasons and may even help her body kick cancer's ass.

I have a friend who smokes because he claims he wouldn't want to grow old and decrepit anyway. Which is stupid because now instead he may just die horribly to lung cancer at a very young age. Like his mother did. Whatever makes you happy i guess.

As for me, what is best in life?
    • crushing your enemies
    • seeing them driven before you
    • hearing the lamentations of the women

My bad - that was actually Conan the Barbarian.

I would have to go with love/companionship and being able to meaningfully relate to others (including, but not limited to sex). Life to me is all about the shared experience. Beyond that, music (The closest thing to religion I've ever experienced), movies/reading that engage the mind.

Cat cuddles are pretty okay too.
    Well that is just it right where do people draw their inspiration, I don't think it is the point to argue why people should be in shape or work out by also pointing out anybody who doesn't do exactly what someone else thinks they should are fat overweight slobs.

Because I can pull up examples of people who die of heart disease, but they aren't always all fat or over weight or have bad eating habits, yes numbers of who and why are different for specific conditions, and that is cold hard fact.

But getting in shape, working out being healthy has to be more about what makes life worth living, and for many being a Super Hero isn't it. However not having to wear a diaper at 40 might.

Living a very long life in pain while pieces of you have to be sawed off because your immune system can't keep up with the coverage and lack of nutrients coming in YEAH, that is a hell of a lot more important in terms of reasons NOT to be obese, forget being just fat.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

why is there no nothing answere? :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Yes, and at any point of your life, you can get hit by a bus, struck by lightning, choke on a sandwich or die in an earthquake. By all accounts, people should constantly be running and screaming on the streets, hoping a disaster won't strike. But I think most people understand life is a lottery, even those who are trying to reduce the chances of something bad happening.

As for being in shape / working out, it isn't just about your health. It's a stress relief and a confidence boost too. It's also considered attractive, shows dedication and discipline. So you might get more out of it that simple weight reduction and muscle increase.
    All very true, which is why it sounds like you have a healthy perspective. Many people don't and when reality hits either it's devastating even if that reality hits more often those that choose not to take better care of themselves.

People will lose weight and get in shape if they perceive that it is easy, which is why the fitness industry is a billion dollar industry, all of them are ineffective. Most are not wealthy based off people who work out and lose weight they are propped up mostly by people that aren't.

And the truth is intelligence and experience has a lot to do with that. It's really easy to get in shape and cheaper too than buying gimmicks, but people go by perception rather than reality, and that is a HUGE PROBLEM.

Problem is perspective, followed in the end by choice.

It's 100x easier getting in shape and staying in shape by doing what is required than taking short cuts that look easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    you're never completely safe no matter what you do, doesn't mean you shouldn't take reasonable steps to minimising risk though. just means you shouldn't completely obsess over it either

the point of life is whatever you choose to make of it. personally I go with doing what I can to benefit the health and happiness of myself and others without detriment to health or happiness of myself or anyone else
    Yes but many people think the rules make people safe and when things do happen they are hit the hardest and can't get back up.

No A, B, C or D to help them maybe get back up, or guide for when things go wrong. And I am not talking about narcissistic meaningless inspirational quotes.

Because I can pull up examples of people who die of heart disease, but they aren't always all fat or over weight or have bad eating habits, yes numbers of who and why are different for specific conditions, and that is cold hard fact.
    What should be taken from this is that nothing is ever certain and you shouldn't spend all/most of your time doing things that make you unhappy.

Trying to stay in good health is a numbers game, but doing so does reduce the chances of a number of things going wrong. Just because there is still a <1% chance of me dying to some random disease every year while I'm still young doesn't mean it's suddenly worth it to say fuck it and do a bunch of crazy shit that will greatly increase that percentage risk. You become a self fulfilling prophecy of "live fast, die young". Everyone needs to find their own balance that works for them, and continue to seek and discover ways to enrich their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    What should be taken from this is that nothing is ever certain and you shouldn't spend all/most of your time doing things that make you unhappy.

Trying to stay in good health is a numbers game, but doing so does reduce the chances of a number of things going wrong. Just because there is still a <1% chance of me dying to some random disease every year while I'm still young doesn't mean it's suddenly worth it to say fuck it and do a bunch of crazy shit that will greatly increase that percentage risk. You become a self fulfilling prophecy of "live fast, die young". Everyone needs to find their own balance that works for them, and continue to seek and discover ways to enrich their lives.
    Yep I agree.

However, Pain and Cruelty are no more effective tools to get people to change than sugar coating or shielding people from reality because people can adapt to pain, they can also adapt to being over indulge, although honestly being over indulged actually seems to do the most harm just in different ways.

Someone who looks like shit, and is over weight already feels or felt ashamed, they already probably hate themselves, Just like people who take being healthy to the extreme also.

You can go over board doing anything, I think over all it's just better to be realistic, and credible. Doing that effects people who over all can decide for themselves what makes life worth living.

This at 40

or

This in those golden years

Not saying either is promised, but the realistic expectations is that eating right and exercising can make literally the difference between the two. Just doing what you are supposed to do with no other guarantees.

I mean me personally if I am going to live longer, I rather the option at the very least waiting until later.

15+ Year Old Account
    what exactly makes LIFE worth living?
    Tentacle hentai.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think you would like life more if you studied up on grammar so you could actually string together coherent sentences.

Deleted

pointless question

pointless question as there is no meaning point of reason to exhistance and trying to find one is absurd an a waste of time.

from the wiki:
    "In philosophy, "the Absurd" refers to the conflict between the human tendency to seek inherent value and meaning in life and the human inability to find any. In this context absurd does not mean "logically impossible", but rather "humanly impossible".[1] The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory nature of the two existing simultaneously.

Accordingly, absurdism is a philosophical school of thought stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd) because the sheer amount of information as well as the vast realm of the unknown make total certainty impossible. As a philosophy, absurdism furthermore explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should respond to it. The absurdist philosopher Albert Camus stated that individuals should embrace the absurd condition of human existence while also defiantly continuing to explore and search for meaning.[2]"

silly question is silly every one defines there own reason to live or they kill them selves.

I'm fit and make lots of money because dying with these things is better than dying being fat and poor.

Simple question, simple answer.

When I die is irrelevant.

I'd rather die at 60 with these things than live to 90 being the other.

"You can never achieve true perfection."

That doesn't mean it's not a worthy goal to pursue.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing more fitness doesn't mean becoming healthier, running a marathon is not good for you at all. This woman sounds like a fitness freak to me, and she might be just as unhealthy as a smoker or someone who doesn't work out.