Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The Republican Party has the Senate and House as well, from a legislative perspective that essentially gives them absolute power.
    The power to bicker, maybe. Like I say in a lot of other threads, trump's presidency is over now and nothing is going to get done. Just gonna cruise on by with my Pokemon marathon.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-08-21 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The Republican Party has the Senate and House as well, from a legislative perspective that essentially gives them absolute power.
    Not really if they don't have the juicy 60 supermajority in the Senate, which is the point where the money can start to flow one way or another. And you can have the best ideas, the best policies, if Congress don't give you money, you ain't doing jack squat.

And now that the Republicans have more or less completely alienated the Democrats, anything but the most consensual of subjects will be a battle to get said 60 votes.

The healthcare debacle definitely showed the limit of the Republican's hold on Congress. Yes, in theory they control it, but they bicker among themselves and the Dems want none of their shit either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Not really if they don't have the juicy 60 supermajority in the Senate, which is the point where the money can start to flow one way or another. And you can have the best ideas, the best policies, if Congress don't give you money, you ain't doing jack squat.

And now that the Republicans have more or less completely alienated the Democrats, anything but the most consensual of subjects will be a battle to get said 60 votes.

The healthcare debacle definitely showed the limit of the Republican's hold on Congress. Yes, in theory they control it, but they bicker among themselves and the Dems want none of their shit either.
    In a non-insane partisan environment, a simple majority is enough. Supermajorities are pretty damn hard to get. I'd count the creation of said environment as the crowning achievement of 8 years of extreme Republican obstructionism capped off by the Trump era. Well done, chaps!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The power to bicker, maybe. Like I say in a lot of other threads, trump's presidency is over now and nothing is going to get done. Just gonna cruise on by with my Pokemon marathon.
    The trouble is that the agenda they've been pushing for so long is not viable and they've essentially had their bluff called. This is what happens when you act like there's no tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.