1st PC build. Can I re-use an i5-6400 from previous computer?

I am looking to put together my first PC. Currently Ive just plugged most of the parts from the last Build of the Month which was back in June.
    I do have a question. I currently am using a prebuilt Lenovo computer with an i5-6400 in it. Would I be able to take that out and use it for the new PC?

pcpartpicker.com/list/cdxwsJ

That's what I have so far which comes out to $585. I'm willing to possibly spend a bit more. Also I currently have to play on a wireless connection so I may need to include a wireless card in this build. What would be a good one to use? I'll also be getting a new monitor sooner or later as my current one is from a Dell desktop I bought back in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by darrooh View Post
    I am looking to put together my first PC. Currently Ive just plugged most of the parts from the last Build of the Month which was back in June.
    I do have a question. I currently am using a prebuilt Lenovo computer with an i5-6400 in it. Would I be able to take that out and use it for the new PC?

That's what I have so far which comes out to $585. I'm willing to possibly spend a bit more. Also I currently have to play on a wireless connection so I may need to include a wireless card in this build. What would be a good one to use? I'll also be getting a new monitor sooner or later as my current one is from a Dell desktop I bought back in 2007
    Yeah, the mobo you picked looks to be the same socket. You should be able to use it. However it might be cheaper to just put a GTX 1050 into the Lenovo if it will fit. I'm not sure you'd get any better performance building a new one with the same CPU, if you can just put a video card into your current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadazz View Post
    Yeah, the mobo you picked looks to be the same socket. You should be able to use it. However it might be cheaper to just put a GTX 1050 into the Lenovo if it will fit. I'm not sure you'd get any better performance building a new one with the same CPU, if you can just put a video card into your current one.
    I was thinking about that but I was unsure because of the stock power supply which is only 250w I believe. Will it be alight with a 1050? If so that's what I could do for now until I am ready to upgrade the CPU as well

Wait for Coffee Lake, it's pointless to build a Z270 system right now.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by darrooh View Post

If you are willing to spend that much, just get this instead:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $460.97
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-22 17:49 EDT-0400

and put it in your lenovo. Will be exponentially better for less money spent. Heck, you could even make that a 1080 instead of a 1070:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($514.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $545.96
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-22 17:51 EDT-0400

Still cheaper than what you were gonna buy.

Beore doing this though, it would be helpful to know the exact case you have to see if the graphics card will fit. If that info is not available, then you could measure yourself. You could also just get the case you chose and move all the parts over. However you look at it, you have a pretty current CPU and therefore Motherboard and RAM. No real reason to replace those at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Wait for Coffee Lake, it's pointless to build a Z270 system right now.
    Are you seriously recommending someone with with an i5-6400 to not only wait for but to buy a Coffee Lake? I mean sure, it will be better, but will it be enough better for the cost? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Are you seriously recommending someone with with an i5-6400 to not only wait for but to buy a Coffee Lake? I mean sure, it will be better, but will it be enough better for the cost? Not really.
    Considering it's an i5? Yes, absolutely. If it was a Haswell (or later) i7 it would be a completely different story.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I like the suggestion of the GPU and the psu going into the existing Lenovo, as long as it isn't a SFF it would suffice.

On second thought, I think some Lenovo desktops use proprietary mobo/psu connectors and it may render you incapable of upgrading in this manner.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2017-08-23 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Update

Part of my question to you is why are you considering upgrading? Are you a gamer? Are you a serious multitasker?

What model Lenovo are you currently running? Most of Lenovo's commercial options have been SFF so unless you have a Think Center, you might be SOL.
    @Thunderball - By your logic you'd never upgrade a PC because as soon as something comes out there will always be something better on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    @Thunderball - By your logic you'd never upgrade a PC because as soon as something comes out there will always be something better on the horizon.
    You are going to be able to get a 6700K performance for ~$200 with i3-8350K. I'd say it's worth waiting for. Intel havent increased their core count all over the board in like a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You are going to be able to get a 6700K performance for ~$200 with i3-8350K. I'd say it's worth waiting for. Intel havent increased their core count all over the board in like a decade.
    Yeah, just like nvidia right before the 10xx series dropped, this is one of the few times it actually is beneficial to wait. Most of the time, the gains are paltry and not necessarily worth waiting for, unless it's just around the corner. In this case, not only is it a large enough increase to be considered worth it, but it's only a couple months away.