Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Again, the US specifically exempts obscenity from freedom of speech explicitly because it is offensive for people to hear. Are you on a crusade to remove the obscenity exemption?
    In fact, I do disagree with that law.

  2. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But you're not arguing a principle there but rather a legal interpretation that is a question of degree. On the particular matter of hate speech the SC has taken a very liberal interpretation of the First Amendment, while on obscenity they've taken a very narrow interpretation.

    Which puts you in the rather absurd situation where the government can't make it illegal to say "whites are the master race and the evil Jews should be exterminated", but they could make it illegal to tell those people to go fuck themselves.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Uh uh uh, no you don't. We're not talking about its production which is illegal. I specifically said its distribution.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Again, the US specifically exempts obscenity from freedom of speech explicitly because it is offensive for people to hear. Are you on a crusade to remove the obscenity exemption?
    Distribution still involves exploitation of a minor. Stop grasping for straws. It's a bad analogy, just give it up already.

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    Distribution still involves exploitation of a minor. Stop grasping for straws. It's a bad analogy, just give it up already.
    First, he'd need to know what "freedom of speech" entails. He clearly has no idea of the concept.

  4. #284
    Man, there's nothing like "first amendment law via google", like Mormoloyce having heard of the obscenity rule. While the rule is infamously amorphous, here's two important things about it --

    A) it's incredibly limited in application precisely because the prevailing assumption of 1st Amendment is in favor of protecting as much speech as possible, and
    B) by the very nature of all other 1st Amendment jurisprudence, the obscenity rule does not apply to political expression at all.

    If your delusional fantasy is that you can use the obscenity rule to ban, say, conservatism, your legal ignorance has overcome your reason.

    EDIT:

    The prevailing test of whether the exception applies in most US courts comes from Miller v. California, 413 US 15 (1973), and is articulated a three prong test --

    (1) whether ‘the average person, applying contemporary community standards’ would find that the work, ‘taken as a whole,’ appeals to ‘prurient interest’
    (2) whether the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by the applicable state law, and
    (3) whether the work, ‘taken as a whole,’ lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

    So, again, political opinion and ideology are categorically not "obscene" as a question of 1st Amendment jurisprudence.
    Last edited by Stormdash; 2017-08-23 at 05:15 PM.

  5. #285
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    758
    Sith Justice Warriors: If you are not with me, then you are my enemy.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Let's not redefine free speech. That's a slippery slope.
    This, no we should not redefine free speech. Anything and I mean in the slightest of deviation can create an opinion for all levels of terrible outcomes.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    This, no we should not redefine free speech. Anything and I mean in the slightest of deviation can create an opinion for all levels of terrible outcomes.
    And if left to left wing regressives, there will be a lot of "equal" pigs.

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    This, no we should not redefine free speech. Anything and I mean in the slightest of deviation can create an opinion for all levels of terrible outcomes.
    Exactly.

    In a government chosen by the people, the last thing you need is a loophole that allows those in power to ever silence the opposition. There are lots of people out there that do and say lots of things that I don't really agree with, but I will defend their right to do so every single day.

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    The problem with the reasoning "both sides have good people" is that however you slice it when you walk and protest and a Nazi walks right beside you and you say nothing and pretend its nothing out of the ordinary then no you are not a "good" person. Some might say that well i dont agree with their stand on the genocide thing but they do have things in their agenda that i agree with that is just bullshit.

    Also about your comment that " Specifically, think about them in a vacuum, devoid of context." Why should we think about them in that vacuum when we know all the context of the event. If there was no information on who attended the protest then yes you could have voiced it like Trump did.

    Just accept it Trump is at the very least an apologist for NeoNazi and White supremacists.
    I'm pretty busy right now so I'm gonna make this as short and simple as I can.

    "Some might say that well i dont agree with their stand on the genocide thing but they do have things in their agenda that i agree with that is just bullshit."

    You have fundamentally misunderstood your enemy which is why they are going to beat you.

    Current day Nazi groups do not talk about committing genocide. How the fuck do you think people become Nazis? Allow me to spell it out for you. There's a guy. We'll call him Joey. Joey wants to kill all the Jews. Joey doesn't know anyone else that wants to kill all the Jews though, so he has to be sneaky because he can't do it himself.

    So Joey goes and talks to his best friend, we'll call him Bobby.

    J "Hey Bob, would you mind if we talk about something kind of serious?"
    B "Sure bro, what's eatin' ya?"
    J "Well, I'm part of this group called the alt-right, and I want you to join."
    B "Aren't they Nazis or something?"
    J "We are Neo-Nazis but we don't stand for genocide or any of that crap. We're not bad people."
    B "Shit man, I know you're not a bad guy, but I think you might be fallin' in with a bad crowd."
    J "Just let me show you some videos and some data and tell you what we're all about. I won't be pushy and you can make up your own mind when I'm done and I'll answer any questions you have."
    B "Okay man, sounds reasonable."

    So Joey shows Bobby some things on the internet. He shows the video of Joe Biden stating that white people will be a minority in thirty years and that that's a good thing. He'll show Bobby how no mainstream media source has condemned this as racism. He'll show the video of the college debate where the black guy says all white people should kill themselves because that's the ethical thing to do. He'll show the video where that woman at the DNC says it's her job to tell white men that they need to shut up. Joey will have 100 different articles, videos and forum posts showing the liberal elite of this country condemning white people. Then Joey will say...

    J "These people are out to get us man. They want to get rid of white people! That's genocide and I for one am not just gonna sit back and take it. We reject the idea of genocide. We're Neo-Nazis because the Nazis were white nationalists, and that's what we need right now. This isn't a supremacy movement, it's a civil rights movement."
    B "Okay man, I'm in, but at the first talk of killin' Jews I'm out."

    So Bobby joins the alt-right, and he sees it everywhere now. People blaming white people for things, anyone that calls those people out gets character assassinated to the Nth degree. And no one on the left addresses what the alt-right actually says, or if they do they give it a passing mention. Every single mention is genocide this, racism that, and this just further cements the idea that Joey was right. Every single thing these people are saying about the alt-right is not compelling to Bobby because it was addressed by Joey before Bobby ever joined.

    And Bobby would probably hold to what he said about jumping ship as soon as the Jew killing talk starts. But it will be too late by then and he will never see it coming. Bobby is not a bad guy. If Bobby saw a black guy or a Jew on the side of the road with a broken down truck, Bobby would go out of his way to help that guy. Joey is the fucking problem, not Bobby. Bobby is just a useful idiot.

    And every single time you spout your retarded monolithic evil nonsense that a fucking first grader could see through, you create more Bobbies for the Joeys of the world to scoop up. People like you that say everyone on the other side is a demon are the biggest Nazi enablers on the planet. You are God's gift to their side.

    If you want to do something useful instead of helping the Nazis gain a bigger following, you need to come up with a way to defeat their arguments. Counter what they actually say instead of what you think they believe. Rhetoric is a type of combat and you don't know the first thing about it. You just get in the way.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    Distribution still involves exploitation of a minor. Stop grasping for straws. It's a bad analogy, just give it up already.
    Um, you may wish to believe that but legally speaking you are completely wrong. Look it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    First, he'd need to know what "freedom of speech" entails. He clearly has no idea of the concept.
    Well this is an ironic comment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    In fact, I do disagree with that law.
    What are you doing about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  11. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Um, you may wish to believe that but legally speaking you are completely wrong. Look it up.



    Well this is an ironic comment.

    - - - Updated - - -



    What are you doing about it?
    The mere possession of child pornography is a prosecutable offense. I don't need to look it up. I've unfortunately known people who now sit in a prison cell for the offense. I was active duty at the time. They had to be guarded in a hotel room by people from another unit when the parents in my unit found out because people wanted to kill him. Dude conveniently had his wife volunteer for free childcare for all of our squadron events. Trust me, I'm intricately aware of how the investigation on that offense goes. It's taken so seriously it's the only time I've ever seen the FBI take jurisdiction over a court martial proceeding.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Therionn View Post
    we should redefine the first amendment. Anything that is hateful, especially to Trump, should be censored.
    And anybody with the name of Robert Lee should be exiled from the country.

  13. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by ejpaints View Post
    The mere possession of child pornography is a prosecutable offense.
    Yes exactly, because it's exempted from free speech protection. Due to a specific ruling of the court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  14. #294
    I think protestors should have to have insurance, because all to often what started out as a peaceful protest erupted in violence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •