Mage Tower Challenge Advice for Ret

So I just completed the mage tower last week and thought I'd go over it since there's not exactly a lot of advice for it out there.

My item level was 902 and I'm an LFR hero so don't think that it takes a super-hardcore raider to do it. :-)

Here is the spec I used:
    http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#CVWL

Of all the talents only Repentance is mandatory. Everything else can be used with smart play, although if you figure out how to avoid waking up Sygrin while using divine hammer please let me know. :-P

Legendaries I used:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=132444/p...cs-magnum-opus
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=137086/chain-of-thrayn

Prydaz is amazing for this fight. There are tons of ways you can screw up and having that extra HP shield is godly for when you overshoot the gap in the valkyr, miss a rune or are slow on moving away from the ax guy while he's berserked or doing ballerina practice or while there's piles of green goo everywhere.

Flask I used:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=127850/f...thousand-scars
    I wanted the extra HP to increase my chances of surviving screw ups. This works well because Prydaz is increased by total health.

The one macro I used that made my life easier and probably the whole thing possible:
    #showtooltip
    /use [@focus,exists,nodead][]Repentance

How I executed the fight:
    Prepotted with a potion of prolonged power.

Hit Sygrin in the face and go to the caster.

Pop wings, do my best to blow up the caster using divine storm to hit all three mobs.

When the ax guy does his enrage I stunned him, then I ran away.

To make kiting him easier use Hand of Hinderence - which I completely forgot I had. Like I said, I'm an LFR hero.

You'll be running away a lot in this fight so by all means do your best to maximize your dps and target uptime but your priority is to keep Sygrin asleep when she's green and stay out of the shit.

Soon some runes will spawn. Run over them.

Sygrin will tend to be a dick and go green at probably the 2nd set of runes that will spawn, you can either repent her as she goes green or you can even do it a bit before hand. There may be timer addons for the fight but frankly I think they are all off and the fight timing is done through multiple triggers of both time and HP level.

Either way repent her.

While she is repented make your way back to the caster and hit him in the face.

You'll have to move away from him most likely to take care of runes and for gaps in the valkyr. Those two mechanics spawning together are the biggest cock block in this fight so you'll just have to deal. You can typically bubble through at least one shit show.

If ax guy starts spinning just hit him with your stun. You can also run away or pop your blessing of protection. The damage is all physical so you'll cruise right through it.

If he chases you hand of hindrance or ride your pony away from him and keep moving.

Eventually you'll hit the soft enrage. This is around 20% HP or so on the caster. At this point runes will stop appearing on the floor but the valkyr charge comes more regularly and you'll also have to pop the caster's bubble regularly.

In this stage there are two ways of dealing with Sygrin. You can either keep her repented and try fighting away from her or you can let her out for added damage - remember your damage is mirrored among all three so you'll be able to get a lot of damage in even through the shield with divine storm. The troublesome part is her spear throw ability hits for a half million damage and leaves green crap on the floor. Green crap that of course the caster will stand in because he's a dick like that.

At this point use drums if you have them and your extra potion then just go to town on the caster. Very quickly you'll kill off the ax guy. If you can keep burning down the bubble on the caster while avoiding all the crud on the floor you'll soon get one of the coolest skins in the game.

Only other tip is that apparently the healing from Justicar's Vengeance doesn't work if you use it while the target has an absorb shield up, so target swap to Sygrin or the ax guy for healing. Also you can get a Flash of Light off without too much trouble so don't be afraid to start casting it even if you're above 50%.

If you take one thing away from all of this just let it be this macro:
    #showtooltip
    /use [@focus,exists,nodead][]Repentance

I cannot stress how much easier that macro will make your life for keeping Sygrin under containment. Just set her as your focus and hit the button.

I look forward to everyone telling me how wrong I am. :-)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...onidas/bernice

Edit: Added armory link to show I had achieved it.
    Last edited by Shelly; 2017-08-22 at 03:56 AM.

It's kind of you to type that all up, but I assume you missed the six pages of tips and discussion we already had

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ower-challenge!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post

Of all the talents only Repentance is mandatory. Everything else can be used with smart play, although if you figure out how to avoid waking up Sygrin while using divine hammer please let me know. :-P
    smart play, hm?

repentance isnt mandatory at all. repentance is rather risky.
    macro Hammer to Sigryn and interrupt exclusivly Blood of the Father. bonus is not to lose any damage on Sigryn, so happy AoE. repentance also has a DR, so have at least 20 secs between casts. but repentance is the worse solution, take hammer, hf AoE.
    btw ur macro is risky and incomplete, cuz it doesnt swap back to prior target(to lazy to log-in atm), if trigger-happy u maybe cast a J...

also: aegisjalmar offers 1 cheat-death/3 min. since Tower Challenge isnt DPS-race, better choose this in combination with Prydaz, there wont be any real challenge...

Deleted
    Why would you drum that late into the fight?
    That's when the fight becomes easier... your goal is getting there ASAP.

I did it with a combination of Sephuz and Rethu as legendaries and a single-target spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging Wrath View Post
    smart play, hm?

macro Hammer to Sigryn and interrupt exclusivly Blood of the Father. bonus is not to lose any damage on Sigryn, so happy AoE. repentance also has a DR, so have at least 20 secs between casts. but repentance is the worse solution, take hammer, hf AoE.
    btw ur macro is risky and incomplete, cuz it doesnt swap back to prior target(to lazy to log-in atm), if trigger-happy u maybe cast a J...

also: aegisjalmar offers 1 cheat-death/3 min. since Tower Challenge isnt DPS-race, better choose this in combination with Prydaz, there wont be any real challenge...
    Last time I tried stunning her it said immune. Maybe I am mistaken but Repentance is the safe and smart bet. It's not too hard to keep her away from the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    It's kind of you to type that all up, but I assume you missed the six pages of tips and discussion we already had

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ower-challenge!
    I did. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Why would you drum that late into the fight?
    That's when the fight becomes easier... your goal is getting there ASAP.

I did it with a combination of Sephuz and Rethu as legendaries and a single-target spec.
    I preferred to have the extra damage on the back end since my item level was generally low. If I was closer to 910 having it on the front end may have worked better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rep (60 seconds) > Rep (30 seconds) > Wait 20 seconds after she breaks > Rep (60 seconds)
    Sigryn is a non-factor for about 3/4ths of the fight that way. You should however still keep an eye on her casts as sometimes casts blood of the father when not rep'd. That said, she WILL cast it while rep'd and it'll do absolutely nothing. The first cast occurs ~70 seconds into the fight, and can be completely ignored.

That said, I agree with your legendary suggestion. You only need enough damage to shatter the shield, and after that just go pure survivability.

- - - Updated - - -

I preferred to have the extra damage on the back end since my item level was generally low. If I was closer to 910 having it on the front end may have worked better.
    I did it <900 with only Prydaz and a holy legendary. The DPS requirement is a complete non-factor

I also completed it at I think 899 or so on day 1 it was available, took 5 pulls, 1 of which was my fault for answering a phone call mid pull, the other WAS EXTREMELY suspect that the valk hit me, but it did. I had belt and bracers. I didn't use drums at all I wish I had thought of that LOL. It was a really fun challenge I enjoyed it.

Deleted
    Last time I tried stunning her it said immune. Maybe I am mistaken but Repentance is the safe and smart bet. It's not too hard to keep her away from the others.
    Sygrin isnt stun immune, also not in demon form. feel free to check vids.
    repentance imho is the worse and not so smart bet: cuz less cleave longer fight more fail chance, blood of the father CD 1min, fel sauce... isnt a threat. but its doable either way.

btw: dbm-challenges ftw (timers!)

/edit: Thete needed 10mins (with repentance), me >6.

he could have used 2 drums.
    Last edited by mmocdfc202a8dc; 2017-08-24 at 05:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The thing is, when you use Repentence the fight is slower but you also don't have to deal with the fel AoE for most of the fight (which makes it annoying to dps through the runecaster's shield), can proactively stop blood of the father instead of having to get Sigryn in range of the Stun when it is cast (and there are points in the fight when she may be casting it at the same time that runes are on the ground or Val'kyr are coming).
    fel sauce radius is about 3-5 yards? it could be Prydaz, though, but this and Jarl r the easiest mechanix.

mobs should be parked near the inner circle for faster access to Gift of the Valkyr (golden heal orb) and runes, also easier to avoid Valkyrs (cuz less way), so Sygrin will always be in HoJ-range.
    i never encountered Jarls Enrage and Blood of The Father together, cant remember Whirlwind being a problem. btw: Fist of Justice skilled HoJ CD ca. 20s.

DBM-Challenge timers r rlly helpful to prepare.

fel sauce radius is about 3-5 yards? it could be Prydaz, though, but this and Jarl r the easiest mechanix.

mobs should be parked near the inner circle for faster access to Gift of the Valkyr (golden heal orb) and runes, also easier to avoid Valkyrs (cuz less way), so Sygrin will always be in HoJ-range.
    i never encountered Jarls Enrage and Blood of The Father together, cant remember Whirlwind being a problem. btw: Fist of Justice skilled HoJ CD ca. 20s.

DBM-Challenge timers r rlly helpful to prepare.
    Her spear just by itself hits for 500k. Combined with everything else I just preferred the safety of repentance.

That said there's no specific right way to do it and the macro I posted above will work for HoJ just as well as Repent so you can use that to make your life a lot easier in keeping her CC'd.

Deleted
    Her spear just by itself hits for 500k. Combined with everything else I just preferred the safety of repentance.

That said there's no specific right way to do it and the macro I posted above will work for HoJ just as well as Repent so you can use that to make your life a lot easier in keeping her CC'd.
    that spear is casted evry 30sec. pls source on that damage, cuz my "anecdotal xp" is different, i never realised that attack.

btw - ur macro isnt optimal (cuz it risk a trigger-happy repentance break by not switching back to last target):

#showtooltip Hammer der Gerechtigkeit
    /tar Sigryn
    /cast Hammer der Gerechtigkeit
    /targetlasttarget

if necessary replace Hammer der Gerechtigkeit with Repentance.

there may not be a specific right way, but there is an optimal way. less encounter duration less fail risk, hf cleave / gl 10min+ (remember Trial? 30mins 30 waves *sigh*)...
    Last edited by mmocdfc202a8dc; 2017-08-25 at 06:11 AM.

that spear is casted evry 30sec. pls source on that damage, cuz my "anecdotal xp" is different, i never realised that attack.

btw - ur macro isnt optimal (cuz it risk a trigger-happy repentance break by not switching back to last target):

#showtooltip Hammer der Gerechtigkeit
    /tar Sigryn
    /cast Hammer der Gerechtigkeit
    /targetlasttarget

if necessary replace Hammer der Gerechtigkeit with Repentance.

there may not be a specific right way, but there is an optimal way. less encounter duration less fail risk, hf cleave / gl 10min+ (remember Trial? 30mins 30 waves *sigh*)...
    Sorry I don't have screenshots but the source for damage taken on that is from my death recap screen.

My macro is just fine, it's a focus macro. You need to set her as your focus and just hit the macro. You never even leave your primary target.

I appreciate what you're saying, but optimal for you was stunning and zerging. Optimal for me was keeping her locked down.

Considering how we both have the skin it's following what works for you. :-)