Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    OW is the one game where I feel I need to play at 120 fps even though I have a 60hz monitor. It makes the game much smoother in terms of reaction time. The input delay is low and it feels great. Maybe playing OW at 120 fps is what helped to kill/give me this problem. Which is why I'd like to fix the problem and still be able to have high fps.
    The misinformation is amazing.

    First of all, if you dont replace thermal paste, you wont get anywhere.

    Secondly your fan is underperforming cause its "tired".

    Thirdly, just because you "see" 120 FPS on the screen, on a 60Hz monitor is absolutely fucking pointless, its literally in your brain that you see any difference between 200 fps, 120 FPS, and 80 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, there is a reason 144Hz monitors are so famous the last 2 years with CS:GO picking up crowd and OW releasing., i would know , i have the same brain malfunction as you do about it, until i played at 144Hz and now i can tell apart staff better on bad 60Hz screens like i own at home.

    Fourthly, only reason to have Vsync off or uncapped FPS is when the game is shitty programmed and it bugs the fuck out, Overwatch isnt one of those games.

    Fifth, the fact that you have that much FPS is what overheats your card, your tired fan/tired card/non-renewed thermal paste cant handle the power required to keep the FPS that high.

    Sixth, GPUs have been burnt over years for the same reason, idiotic companies with uncapped FPS on log in screens and similar shits, forcing cards to try and produce 500 FPS, eventually fucking them up, its what you are experiencing only difference is, you are experiencing it because your card is -tired out-.

    In other words, go buy a new fan for your GPU, replace it, obviously new thermal paste and continue using the card otherwise, try using Vsync already.

    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html

    This one basically, not even sure why its for 54e, bought it for less 3 times when i had to replace a 2x 560s and a 460.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-25 at 03:55 PM.

  2. #22
    Pandaren Monk ATZenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The misinformation is amazing.

    First of all, if you dont replace thermal paste, you wont get anywhere.

    Secondly your fan is underperforming cause its "tired".

    Thirdly, just because you "see" 120 FPS on the screen, on a 60Hz monitor is absolutely fucking pointless, its literally in your brain that you see any difference between 200 fps, 120 FPS, and 80 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, there is a reason 144Hz monitors are so famous the last 2 years with CS:GO picking up crowd and OW releasing., i would know , i have the same brain malfunction as you do about it, until i played at 144Hz and now i can tell apart staff better on bad 60Hz screens like i own at home.

    Fourthly, only reason to have Vsync off or uncapped FPS is when the game is shitty programmed and it bugs the fuck out, Overwatch isnt one of those games.

    Fifth, the fact that you have that much FPS is what overheats your card, your tired fan/tired card/non-renewed thermal paste cant handle the power required to keep the FPS that high.

    Sixth, GPUs have been burnt over years for the same reason, idiotic companies with uncapped FPS on log in screens and similar shits, forcing cards to try and produce 500 FPS, eventually fucking them up, its what you are experiencing only difference is, you are experiencing it because your card is -tired out-.

    In other words, go buy a new fan for your GPU, replace it, obviously new thermal paste and continue using the card otherwise, try using Vsync already.

    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html

    This one basically, not even sure why its for 54e, bought it for less 3 times when i had to replace a 2x 560s and a 460.
    You can say whatever you want about my knowledge on the technical aspects of a PC, but it's a proven fact that higher FPS gives you better input lag. 60 is like 17ms and 120 is like 7ms on my system. it's pretty noticeable in a fast fps game, and not placebo bullshit. I can also tell the different between 60 and 144hz on a 144hz monitor. I don't own one but I've played on one. It's a different feeling. What I'm talking about is how the game reacts to your movements and shots. When I tried playing McCree with Vsync on practice bots, it felt pretty terrible. While it looked smoother, it felt like my shots the time my gun actually fired was delayed by a lot. and, it actually was. You can open the advanced panel and see your input delay.

    I agree that 500 fps is a bit ridiculous. I just want 120ish, and frankly at low settings that isn't that big of a deal. As for your other post part, if I were to buy a new fan I'd rather just upgrade my PC then upgrade a dying card. I do believe now that the thermal paste on my graphics card needs to be replaced. It makes sense.
    I make metal music, play games (WoW, Overwatch, Ect) and eat pizza. (Previously named Furytime, Zerkked)
    New song below!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiR4TcyFZd0

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The misinformation is amazing.

    First of all, if you dont replace thermal paste, you wont get anywhere.

    Secondly your fan is underperforming cause its "tired".

    Thirdly, just because you "see" 120 FPS on the screen, on a 60Hz monitor is absolutely fucking pointless, its literally in your brain that you see any difference between 200 fps, 120 FPS, and 80 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, there is a reason 144Hz monitors are so famous the last 2 years with CS:GO picking up crowd and OW releasing., i would know , i have the same brain malfunction as you do about it, until i played at 144Hz and now i can tell apart staff better on bad 60Hz screens like i own at home.

    Fourthly, only reason to have Vsync off or uncapped FPS is when the game is shitty programmed and it bugs the fuck out, Overwatch isnt one of those games.

    Fifth, the fact that you have that much FPS is what overheats your card, your tired fan/tired card/non-renewed thermal paste cant handle the power required to keep the FPS that high.

    Sixth, GPUs have been burnt over years for the same reason, idiotic companies with uncapped FPS on log in screens and similar shits, forcing cards to try and produce 500 FPS, eventually fucking them up, its what you are experiencing only difference is, you are experiencing it because your card is -tired out-.

    In other words, go buy a new fan for your GPU, replace it, obviously new thermal paste and continue using the card otherwise, try using Vsync already.

    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html

    This one basically, not even sure why its for 54e, bought it for less 3 times when i had to replace a 2x 560s and a 460.
    Ah the subtle art of imparting knowledge in a positive manner so people react to it positively and actually do what you suggest..... a lost art.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

  4. #24
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The misinformation is amazing.

    First of all, if you dont replace thermal paste, you wont get anywhere.

    Secondly your fan is underperforming cause its "tired".

    Thirdly, just because you "see" 120 FPS on the screen, on a 60Hz monitor is absolutely fucking pointless, its literally in your brain that you see any difference between 200 fps, 120 FPS, and 80 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, there is a reason 144Hz monitors are so famous the last 2 years with CS:GO picking up crowd and OW releasing., i would know , i have the same brain malfunction as you do about it, until i played at 144Hz and now i can tell apart staff better on bad 60Hz screens like i own at home.

    Fourthly, only reason to have Vsync off or uncapped FPS is when the game is shitty programmed and it bugs the fuck out, Overwatch isnt one of those games.

    Fifth, the fact that you have that much FPS is what overheats your card, your tired fan/tired card/non-renewed thermal paste cant handle the power required to keep the FPS that high.

    Sixth, GPUs have been burnt over years for the same reason, idiotic companies with uncapped FPS on log in screens and similar shits, forcing cards to try and produce 500 FPS, eventually fucking them up, its what you are experiencing only difference is, you are experiencing it because your card is -tired out-.

    In other words, go buy a new fan for your GPU, replace it, obviously new thermal paste and continue using the card otherwise, try using Vsync already.

    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html

    This one basically, not even sure why its for 54e, bought it for less 3 times when i had to replace a 2x 560s and a 460.
    Aside from the thermal paste comment the rest of this is a garbage uninformed rant.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Aside from the thermal paste comment the rest of this is a garbage uninformed rant.
    Trash gamers dont get an opinion, dont put your links with your "100" hours if you wanna be heard, had more the first week of closed beta of OW.

    And i wish all those things were an uninformed rant.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    You can say whatever you want about my knowledge on the technical aspects of a PC, but it's a proven fact that higher FPS gives you better input lag. 60 is like 17ms and 120 is like 7ms on my system. it's pretty noticeable in a fast fps game, and not placebo bullshit. I can also tell the different between 60 and 144hz on a 144hz monitor. I don't own one but I've played on one. It's a different feeling. What I'm talking about is how the game reacts to your movements and shots. When I tried playing McCree with Vsync on practice bots, it felt pretty terrible. While it looked smoother, it felt like my shots the time my gun actually fired was delayed by a lot. and, it actually was. You can open the advanced panel and see your input delay.

    I agree that 500 fps is a bit ridiculous. I just want 120ish, and frankly at low settings that isn't that big of a deal. As for your other post part, if I were to buy a new fan I'd rather just upgrade my PC then upgrade a dying card. I do believe now that the thermal paste on my graphics card needs to be replaced. It makes sense.
    The question is this. Do you want lower input lag on your mouse or a card that's gonna kill itself?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Trash gamers dont get an opinion, dont put your links with your "100" hours if you wanna be heard, had more the first week of closed beta of OW.

    And i wish all those things were an uninformed rant.
    It kinda is, since having a higher fps on a 60hz screen will provide smoother screen quality since it always has one frame available at the cost of screentearing. The dropoff is when you hit 85 fps, then the effect is so negligible that the only positive thing is lower input lag on your mouse.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    The question is this. Do you want lower input lag on your mouse or a card that's gonna kill itself?

    - - - Updated - - -


    It kinda is, since having a higher fps on a 60hz screen will provide smoother screen quality since it always has one frame available at the cost of screentearing. The dropoff is when you hit 85 fps, then the effect is so negligible that the only positive thing is lower input lag on your mouse.
    Yeah and no, he isnt wrong at what he said, he is partially wrong, what he is experiencing isnt "mouse lag", its just shit screen thats showing whatever frame it can show at that moment, hence he believes he is having input lag, as i said its in the brain and isnt, caused by bad screen, i have the same since i switch between 144Hz and 60Hz a lot, there is no "mouse lag" cause of "screen" its, shit screens that cant show all frames generated, but that wasnt my point, while the 144Hz doesnt "lag behind" and you think the mouse does, is what i am saying.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWS...ature=youtu.be

    This dude explains it quite weirdly in the same way.

    Higher FPS is always better everyone knows that, but what he calls "mouse lag" is simply Vsync doing its job.

    His card is misbehaving, Vsync can save it, his choice what he does.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-26 at 07:32 PM.

  8. #28
    Pandaren Monk ATZenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Yeah and no, he isnt wrong at what he said, he is partially wrong, what he is experiencing isnt "mouse lag", its just shit screen thats showing whatever frame it can show at that moment, hence he believes he is having input lag, as i said its in the brain and isnt, caused by bad screen, i have the same since i switch between 144Hz and 60Hz a lot, there is no "mouse lag" cause of "screen" its, shit screens that cant show all frames generated, but that wasnt my point, while the 144Hz doesnt "lag behind" and you think the mouse does, is what i am saying.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWS...ature=youtu.be

    This dude explains it quite weirdly in the same way.

    Higher FPS is always better everyone knows that, but what he calls "mouse lag" is simply Vsync doing its job.

    His card is misbehaving, Vsync can save it, his choice what he does.
    You know it literally is input lag, I'm not sure why you're going out of your way to prove that to be wrong. Press Alt + Shift + N, you will get advanced data. Look at the 'Sim' number. That's what your input lag is. You're being a cunt for no reason. You can say I'm wrong, but that means every high tier player is wrong, and Blizzards data is wrong.

    I understabd that higher framerates give more pressure on a card, and V Sync would help. I want to fix the problem, not bandaid fix it. I haven't played games in months because of that. I'd rather not play then have a less than optimal experience. It's just the way I am. I do have my frames capped at 130, and everything is on low. I'm not asking to have 300 frames.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    The question is this. Do you want lower input lag on your mouse or a card that's gonna kill itself?

    - - - Updated - - -


    It kinda is, since having a higher fps on a 60hz screen will provide smoother screen quality since it always has one frame available at the cost of screentearing. The dropoff is when you hit 85 fps, then the effect is so negligible that the only positive thing is lower input lag on your mouse.
    I mean I've had the best of both worlds before, I don't see why I can't now. I cap my frames at like 130. But if i had a choice, I wouldn't play OW if I had to play capped at 60. It's the reason that made me come to PC gaming. Realizing how bad it played/felt on console.I'm also not to going to let my card sit at a hot temp. The changes I've made max it out at 85. Maybe the thermal paste will do the rest
    I make metal music, play games (WoW, Overwatch, Ect) and eat pizza. (Previously named Furytime, Zerkked)
    New song below!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiR4TcyFZd0

  9. #29
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,410
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Trash gamers dont get an opinion, dont put your links with your "100" hours if you wanna be heard, had more the first week of closed beta of OW.

    And i wish all those things were an uninformed rant.
    Except as any real gamer knows having 120 FPS on a 60HZ locked monitor looks smoother. It doesn't matter if you're dropping frames it's buffering higher and it appears and responds smoother than someone vertical sync locked at 60HZ. The same thing for 144HZ monitors. People don't run it at 144 FPS. They push for closer to 200.

    Also your video cards are benchmarked, tested, conditioned, etc at whatever specs they are being sold at. If you are worried about pushing your computer too hard because it will destroy the lifetime of the card then why are we buying computers in the first place. Over-clocking is one thing because that is known to destroy cards if done incorrectly but running your system at the manufacturer recommended specs does not in any way ruin your hardware.

    My playtime on 1 specific game means nothing. Otherwise you'd be in masters in every game you played am I right?
    Last edited by Tharkkun; 2017-08-28 at 02:51 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  10. #30
    OP, you didn't mention your other graphics settings in OW, beyond the FPS. Is there anything there that you can fiddle with there to lower the load on your card? There are a couple of ones (mainly reflections and stuff) that I've found increase the heat pretty heftily on the card that maybe you could turn off if you haven't already?

    Also, I saw you mention McCree and his aim as an example. I'm not sure if you're aware but not too long ago, Blizzard added a setting for recoil recovery assist to - I think - both him and Widowmaker which I found interfered with my aim on Widowmaker. Might also be something that adds to your aim being off in the training range?

    Oh! Also, I really suggest that the first thing you should do though is go get some new cooling paste for your heat sink and clean it off properly and re-adding it. With the way it is atm it won't be leading off the heat properly which certainly can't help your temperatures.

  11. #31
    Pandaren Monk ATZenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    OP, you didn't mention your other graphics settings in OW, beyond the FPS. Is there anything there that you can fiddle with there to lower the load on your card? There are a couple of ones (mainly reflections and stuff) that I've found increase the heat pretty heftily on the card that maybe you could turn off if you haven't already?

    Also, I saw you mention McCree and his aim as an example. I'm not sure if you're aware but not too long ago, Blizzard added a setting for recoil recovery assist to - I think - both him and Widowmaker which I found interfered with my aim on Widowmaker. Might also be something that adds to your aim being off in the training range?

    Oh! Also, I really suggest that the first thing you should do though is go get some new cooling paste for your heat sink and clean it off properly and re-adding it. With the way it is atm it won't be leading off the heat properly which certainly can't help your temperatures.
    I play with everything on low and 75% render scale, native res for my monitor. And yes, I ordered thermal paste. Once it gets here I plan on doing the cpu and GPU.

    Not sure what you mean by the recoil recovery. McCree has always had recoil that settled before the next shot
    I make metal music, play games (WoW, Overwatch, Ect) and eat pizza. (Previously named Furytime, Zerkked)
    New song below!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiR4TcyFZd0

  12. #32
    Bloodsail Admiral xerus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    The misinformation is amazing.

    First of all, if you dont replace thermal paste, you wont get anywhere.

    Secondly your fan is underperforming cause its "tired".

    Thirdly, just because you "see" 120 FPS on the screen, on a 60Hz monitor is absolutely fucking pointless, its literally in your brain that you see any difference between 200 fps, 120 FPS, and 80 FPS on a 60Hz monitor, there is a reason 144Hz monitors are so famous the last 2 years with CS:GO picking up crowd and OW releasing., i would know , i have the same brain malfunction as you do about it, until i played at 144Hz and now i can tell apart staff better on bad 60Hz screens like i own at home.

    Fourthly, only reason to have Vsync off or uncapped FPS is when the game is shitty programmed and it bugs the fuck out, Overwatch isnt one of those games.

    Fifth, the fact that you have that much FPS is what overheats your card, your tired fan/tired card/non-renewed thermal paste cant handle the power required to keep the FPS that high.

    Sixth, GPUs have been burnt over years for the same reason, idiotic companies with uncapped FPS on log in screens and similar shits, forcing cards to try and produce 500 FPS, eventually fucking them up, its what you are experiencing only difference is, you are experiencing it because your card is -tired out-.

    In other words, go buy a new fan for your GPU, replace it, obviously new thermal paste and continue using the card otherwise, try using Vsync already.

    https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-mono-plus.html

    This one basically, not even sure why its for 54e, bought it for less 3 times when i had to replace a 2x 560s and a 460.
    This might be the dumbest, most uninformed post, of this topic.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ATZenith View Post
    I play with everything on low and 75% render scale, native res for my monitor. And yes, I ordered thermal paste. Once it gets here I plan on doing the cpu and GPU.

    Not sure what you mean by the recoil recovery. McCree has always had recoil that settled before the next shot
    Oh! I meant that they've actually added a setting for it now on the individual settings page, at least WM but I doubt they wouldn't on McCree since he was one of the examples they brought up when talking about it, where you can turn it off if you choose to. I tried it out on WM and I found that when I got to decide how I recovered, I started hitting more. That was all. ^^;

  14. #34
    Yep, a clean, paste and you are good to go. Presuming you aren't overclocking/overvolting and the fan spins up properly there isn't a lot else which can cause you bother.

    Perhaps Potis is talking about electromigration, which is the only real form of "tired" in electronics, either way, fps will have little bearing on this (and your understanding of sync tech and it's affect on latency/stuttering is way off Potis).

    If people are interested Battle(non)sense on youtube has done some work with this, and netcode latency generally.
    Last edited by DonGenaro; 2017-08-30 at 03:17 PM.

  15. #35
    Pandaren Monk ATZenith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    Oh! I meant that they've actually added a setting for it now on the individual settings page, at least WM but I doubt they wouldn't on McCree since he was one of the examples they brought up when talking about it, where you can turn it off if you choose to. I tried it out on WM and I found that when I got to decide how I recovered, I started hitting more. That was all. ^^;
    Ah okay, cool I just checked settings and messed with it. I didn't like it off on McCree, but with Widow it felt alright. Thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just redid the thermal paste on the both the CPU and GPU heatsinks. Also cleaned the inside of the GPU. It cut my base temperature to 34, well 32 now. Before hand it would be around 54ish or 60 when browsing pages. Will update when I play games.

    Played some Overwatch to test and it was around 60ish. Maxed out at 64 when I had the in game menu up (weird but yeah).
    Before had I'd max at 90s, then cleaning brought it down to 85s. And now the thermal paste got me down to 60s.
    Last edited by ATZenith; 2017-08-31 at 12:37 AM.
    I make metal music, play games (WoW, Overwatch, Ect) and eat pizza. (Previously named Furytime, Zerkked)
    New song below!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiR4TcyFZd0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •