1. #1
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,428

    Season 6 Developer Update


    Glad to see they're removing the "start low rise fast" shit. Also gaining more SR early season than later was weird, I'd wondered why the hell I was gaining less SR from winning the same matches, on the same heroes at the same numerical level as I'd gained previously.

    If there's any more stupid manipulation like that under the hood, they need to cut that as well, it does no good and just leaves people confused about what's going on.

    Also shorter season is good news too, definitely felt like about 6 weeks in people suddenly stopped giving a shit.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post

    Glad to see they're removing the "start low rise fast" shit. Also gaining more SR early season than later was weird, I'd wondered why the hell I was gaining less SR from winning the same matches, on the same heroes at the same numerical level as I'd gained previously.

    If there's any more stupid manipulation like that under the hood, they need to cut that as well, it does no good and just leaves people confused about what's going on.

    Also shorter season is good news too, definitely felt like about 6 weeks in people suddenly stopped giving a shit.
    I like these changes alot actually. Especially the bo3 instead of bo5 maps and 2 month seasons instead of 3. definitely gonna be getting more gold weapons faster now.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

  3. #3
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,428
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    I like these changes alot actually. Especially the bo3 instead of bo5 maps and 2 month seasons instead of 3. definitely gonna be getting more gold weapons faster now.
    Yeah, the more CP for a win and less reliance on season end rewards should even encourage farmers to actually try. BO3 on KotH is good too, considering I had *exactly* the match he described last night, going 2-2 and losing 100-99 deep in OT.

  4. #4
    I was pretty shocked to see how they thought giving people in the new season lower rankings so they could 'feel good' when they climbed back up was in any way a good idea....

  5. #5
    Ugh, why can't they just make it text instead of video?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

  6. #6
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    47,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I was pretty shocked to see how they thought giving people in the new season lower rankings so they could 'feel good' when they climbed back up was in any way a good idea....
    Well, I agree it wasn't the best idea, but there's at least a rationale. It "feels better" to gain rank. By putting everyone 150 points "too low" based on their placement, you'd expect that they'd mostly get to climb up that 150 points over the season, meaning you feel like you ended the season better than you started. And since it hit everyone, it shouldn't affect matches all that much if you're playing competitive regularly; you'll rank up along with everyone else at your rating.

    I think the better answer is to drill it into people's head that competitive rank is not a progression system. If you get placed at 2300 and never deviate more than 50 points in either direction for the entire season, that's the ranking system working perfectly. You aren't meant to climb ranks, not unless you actually get better.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Ugh, why can't they just make it text instead of video?
    There's literally a breakpoint in their youtube description, stop being lazy

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    There's literally a breakpoint in their youtube description, stop being lazy
    What is a breakpoint? There's links to time frames in the description where they talk. I don't want talk, I want text.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, I agree it wasn't the best idea, but there's at least a rationale. It "feels better" to gain rank. By putting everyone 150 points "too low" based on their placement, you'd expect that they'd mostly get to climb up that 150 points over the season, meaning you feel like you ended the season better than you started. And since it hit everyone, it shouldn't affect matches all that much if you're playing competitive regularly; you'll rank up along with everyone else at your rating.

    I think the better answer is to drill it into people's head that competitive rank is not a progression system. If you get placed at 2300 and never deviate more than 50 points in either direction for the entire season, that's the ranking system working perfectly. You aren't meant to climb ranks, not unless you actually get better.
    If the system worked perfectly then you could get into the merits of it, but Blizzard would be idiots to assume their matchmaking system is anywhere near that accurate. There is such a thing as ELO hell and players on the lower ranking spectrum can see their highest and lowest rankings differing from over 1000 points. With wins and loses basically up RNG they would have had to know that people's ratings would actually just go down from there.

    And the basis of the concept is flawed regardless of all of that. People don't feel good when they work their way back to square 1.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    If the system worked perfectly then you could get into the merits of it, but Blizzard would be idiots to assume their matchmaking system is anywhere near that accurate. There is such a thing as ELO hell and players on the lower ranking spectrum can see their highest and lowest rankings differing from over 1000 points. With wins and loses basically up RNG they would have had to know that people's ratings would actually just go down from there.

    And the basis of the concept is flawed regardless of all of that. People don't feel good when they work their way back to square 1.
    I agree. This season I played for about the first 3 weeks, with a mind to get to Master, got to around mid 3300 then stopped to play other games and now with the event, i won't touch comp because I decayed to 3k and I was worried If I try to play comp, lose some games, drop below 3k, doing the placements in S6 would put me below diamond and I wouldn't reach it again for a while.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

  11. #11
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,428
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    I agree. This season I played for about the first 3 weeks, with a mind to get to Master, got to around mid 3300 then stopped to play other games and now with the event, i won't touch comp because I decayed to 3k and I was worried If I try to play comp, lose some games, drop below 3k, doing the placements in S6 would put me below diamond and I wouldn't reach it again for a while.
    SR doesn't effect your MMR, so actually you should climb back pretty quickly. Unless you actually got a bit rusty and lost some skills.

  12. #12
    I'm actually one of those that _don't_ like the KotH games only being three rounds long in the future. Mostly because I _have_ had multiple matches where my team has been under 2-0 and then rallied/made changes and won 2-3, getting the last three rounds. And even losing 3-2 feels better because at least you had a _chance_ at victory.

  13. #13
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    I'm actually one of those that _don't_ like the KotH games only being three rounds long in the future. Mostly because I _have_ had multiple matches where my team has been under 2-0 and then rallied/made changes and won 2-3, getting the last three rounds. And even losing 3-2 feels better because at least you had a _chance_ at victory.
    Starting to have mixed feelings about it, I think it's the game mode where people do try hardest. You go 1-0 down, people will switch up and rework the composition because there's so much time left. In other modes, people I think are more inclined to tilt and give up if they lose round 1, especially when it goes quite badly because it's hard and chances of a comeback are more limited.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, I agree it wasn't the best idea, but there's at least a rationale. It "feels better" to gain rank. By putting everyone 150 points "too low" based on their placement, you'd expect that they'd mostly get to climb up that 150 points over the season, meaning you feel like you ended the season better than you started. And since it hit everyone, it shouldn't affect matches all that much if you're playing competitive regularly; you'll rank up along with everyone else at your rating.

    I think the better answer is to drill it into people's head that competitive rank is not a progression system. If you get placed at 2300 and never deviate more than 50 points in either direction for the entire season, that's the ranking system working perfectly. You aren't meant to climb ranks, not unless you actually get better.
    On the other hand, losing the ranks you worked hard for, did feel bad. Some would give up, they would not want to grind ranks back, its really hard as solo.

  15. #15
    Thank god for shorter seasons, means more golden weapons per year.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Thank god for shorter seasons, means more golden weapons per year.
    They said they will be reducing the points gained so it'll come out even as before.

  17. #17
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    47,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    They said they will be reducing the points gained so it'll come out even as before.
    Yes and no.

    End-of-season rewards are being adjusted as you say, but they're also boosting the per-win reward. You should end up with slightly more than before, if you're an active player.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •