Upgrade this or replace?

So, I posted in another thread but realise this is a more than yes/no question in a way.

So I am returning to wow and want to build a maxed machine for it, I dont care about other things, and honestly do any regular computer-related task on a laptop anyways, so it's "purely" for wow purposes.

The requirement I have is that I want to run everything on absolute max, with high-res. I have a curved 34" dell that supports "QHD 3440 x 1440 at 60 Hz" and "5 ms (typical) for FAST mode / 8 ms (typical) for NORMAL mode".
    I dont want to bother if I install 100 addons, or run native mode, I want a high, stable FPS. Even if I dont do raid's, LFR or overcrowded zones should not matter.

I found the spec's of my old PC that's been in a box for the past year or so:
    • MB: Asus Z87-A Socket 1150 Intel.
    • CPU: i5-4670 3.4GHz
    • RAM: 32GB
    • GFX: 1xGTX780
    • PSU: Corsair cx750m

I have a bunch of spare SSD's, so I will only run those, prob. 2x512GB for space since it's convenient. I am assuming trying any sort of raid-setup on ssd's is stupid in terms of wow performance (or?).

So, question is:
    Is replacing everything required?
    Can I only upgrade CPU and GFX and achieve what I want? (maybe PSU to support it?)

Truth? I think for WoW you are ok. I mean it's not absolutely perfect but damn it's really just last gen tech that's trucking along pretty good still. I would wait to see what's coming soon because now that we have competition in the game again both Intel and AMD will be throwing better punches at each other.

Deleted
    Maybe get a 1070 GFX what would be a huge improvement

CPU is Ok , Ram also Ok

SSD`s only speed up loading screens

You have a 2.5k display ... would also say GTX1070 (1060 but not for other games)

i got a 1080 and play 4k ~60 FPS in Raid i lower the settings in case of lags ,...

Thanks for the quick feedback!
    Will look at a 1060 or 1070, depending on what I can find then, if 1080 is not going to make any difference, I dont see a point in going for that.

I know I personally hate loading-screens, still thinking ssd in raid could be nice, also read about some new type of disc, NVME, to get more speed out of them. Not sure about it, if it reduces every loading-screen by 10-15%, yeah sure. 1-5%? Meh.

Still not sure about the CPU, I mean, it's "old" (?).
    Wondering what the impact could be by changing it up to a i7-4970, again, if noticeable I will just put one in, if it's not visibly doing anything it's "meh", I dont care about the FPS-number as long as it's not dropping in any situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Truth? I think for WoW you are ok. I mean it's not absolutely perfect but damn it's really just last gen tech that's trucking along pretty good still. I would wait to see what's coming soon because now that we have competition in the game again both Intel and AMD will be throwing better punches at each other.
    I agree with this, except for the GPU because he has a 1440p monitor and an SSD is noce to have. For WoW, I'm pretty sure a GTX 1060 could handle it, but if anything else is even possibly a consideration I'd grab a 1070. That's all that is needed though.

For the SSD, the NVME drives are faster on paper, but it's not something you are likely to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I agree with this, except for the GPU because he has a 1440p monitor and an SSD is noce to have. For WoW, I'm pretty sure a GTX 1060 could handle it, but if anything else is even possibly a consideration I'd grab a 1070. That's all that is needed though.

For the SSD, the NVME drives are faster on paper, but it's not something you are likely to notice.
    Yeah that makes sense, NVME and raid are usually a paper-exercise... I haven't spent any time with gaming-riggs for years but manage some server-structures, but comparing those architectures to a wow-machine, ehm... my knowledge is useless

Checked out some 1070-cards from our vendor we use at work, going to grab one.
    Realized (from your signature actually) I am most likely running the out-of-the-box cooler on the CPU.
    Maybe time to get back to the overclock days and put a high performance cooler on it and get a higher frequency, from what I remember, wow engine is heavily relying on max-speed and ignores extra-cores etc (roughly).

Would you say there is any point in getting a maxed i7? Or any other model of i5? Even if I get it through work, it feels like it would make no sense to waste the money & time if it wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by coffebreak View Post
    Yeah that makes sense, NVME and raid are usually a paper-exercise... I haven't spent any time with gaming-riggs for years but manage some server-structures, but comparing those architectures to a wow-machine, ehm... my knowledge is useless

Checked out some 1070-cards from our vendor we use at work, going to grab one.
    Realized (from your signature actually) I am most likely running the out-of-the-box cooler on the CPU.
    Maybe time to get back to the overclock days and put a high performance cooler on it and get a higher frequency, from what I remember, wow engine is heavily relying on max-speed and ignores extra-cores etc (roughly).

Would you say there is any point in getting a maxed i7? Or any other model of i5? Even if I get it through work, it feels like it would make no sense to waste the money & time if it wont matter.
    Fo just WoW, no. No point in changing you CPU. Yes, if you got a 7700k or waited until Oct and got the 6-core 8700K you would likely see some small gains in WoW, but we are not talking anything major here. If spending that kinda money for 5FPS is your bag, go for it. I personally would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Fo just WoW, no. No point in changing you CPU. Yes, if you got a 7700k or waited until Oct and got the 6-core 8700K you would likely see some small gains in WoW, but we are not talking anything major here. If spending that kinda money for 5FPS is your bag, go for it. I personally would not.
    I'd have to say it always depends...

Say I run my monitor thats 2.5k apparently (actually did not know ), max res, everything in wow on ultra or w/e, with the old engine and AA etc to max and pour 100+ addons into it (I have noticed addons matter in the past, not sure if it's relevant to pc power or engine only).

If I start "struggling", as in stable 70-80 fps, but occasionally get stutters, or drops, or just minor lag-screen 0.1 second freezes, it's worth whatever to get rid of that. I know I will be bothered with it. If it is a matter of seeing a 75+ FPS figure in the corner of the screen, or 105+... I couldn't not care less.

Sounds like it's a GPU only then, and possibly MB+CPU after some type of upgrade to engine, wow, expac or otherwise.

As I've mentioned before, really appreciate your input m8, it's hard to read specs vs wow and figure out what would make most sense.

If I start "struggling", as in stable 70-80 fps, but occasionally get stutters, or drops, or just minor lag-screen 0.1 second freezes, it's worth whatever to get rid of that. I know I will be bothered with it. If it is a matter of seeing a 75+ FPS figure in the corner of the screen, or 105+... I couldn't not care less.
    You have a 60 hz screen so you wont see more then 60 frames anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You have a 60 hz screen so you wont see more then 60 frames anyways.
    Fair point, I am aware of it, I am only concerned with drops below 60 making it stutter.

Fair point, I am aware of it, I am only concerned with drops below 60 making it stutter.
    Gonna happen, no matter what. You could have the fastest golden sample CPU on your hands, cooled by liquid nitrogen and clocked to the moon and back. WoW is still gonna have dips below 60. You may have them happen a little less frequently, but no one can really quantify that. If you think it is is worth it, go for it. However, I can not tell you the number of times I have seen a post like this:

Title: Upgrade/New PC and it is not performing any better than my old stuff.

So I bought a new top of the line $5000 PC so it should perform better than my old one right? Well, it doesn't. It performs worse. What did I do wrong? How much money can I throw at my PC to make WoW perform better?

You can spend it if you'd like, but I'm telling you, you MIGHT see gains of 5-10%, maybe, if you are lucky. There just have not been major advancements in CPU technology. The improvements from generation to generation are small.