Deleted

Fan controller query

Hey,

I bought a few new fans last week, total of 6 (minus one for CPU cooler) (3x 140mm, 3x 120mm). My Motherboard only has support for 3 so the others are directly into PSU.

This is fine, but means I can't really control them very well and they're pretty much blasting the whole time. I'm looking at picking up a fan controller but have never used one before.

Is this something I could just 'fire and forget'? Set to auto and it'll ramp them up as required and wind them down when they're not? I'm not too interested in manually controlling them, just keeping them quiet when they don't need to be running so hard.

With this in mind any thoughts on the choice of controller? The reviews seem decent but I really have no idea what i'm looking at.

You should probably just get a splitter and run fans doing similar stuff from a single connection.. Will probably be the cheapest and easiest way. You could run a dedicated controller too, but the useful ones do cost a lot.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, i use a fan controller thats in the slot where my optical drive would be, its pretty nice. I have 6 fans as well to keep my rig nice and cool, and this was essential! Only cost me like $30 as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    You should probably just get a splitter and run fans doing similar stuff from a single connection.. Will probably be the cheapest and easiest way. You could run a dedicated controller too, but the useful ones do cost a lot.
    Thanks, I considered it but I'm actually having some issues getting the PC to control them properly (BIOS isn't helpful, Speedfan doesn't like my setup apparently). I'm not overly worried about cost. The one I linked is like £35 and seems to have nice reviews so pretty reasonable I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Honestly, i use a fan controller thats in the slot where my optical drive would be, its pretty nice. I have 6 fans as well to keep my rig nice and cool, and this was essential! Only cost me like $30 as well.
    Ok, so you basically have what i'm looking at. Is it something that you can just leave to run itself or do you need to fiddle with it?

Quote Originally Posted by CyferMax View Post
    Hey,

I bought a few new fans last week, total of 6 (minus one for CPU cooler) (3x 140mm, 3x 120mm). My Motherboard only has support for 3 so the others are directly into PSU.

This is fine, but means I can't really control them very well and they're pretty much blasting the whole time. I'm looking at picking up a fan controller but have never used one before.

Is this something I could just 'fire and forget'? Set to auto and it'll ramp them up as required and wind them down when they're not? I'm not too interested in manually controlling them, just keeping them quiet when they don't need to be running so hard.

With this in mind any thoughts on the choice of controller? The reviews seem decent but I really have no idea what i'm looking at.
    The one I have, yes, once it was set-up, I don't really touch it. Mine had temperature sensors that I put near the fans, or the area they are pulling air away from. When those temps get to a certain temp, the fans ramp up, then ramp back down once the sensors are no longer detecting that temperature. It's nice too, because with all those temperature sensors, I can see the actual temps at different areas of the case. Have not touched it in over a year though.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CyferMax View Post
    Thanks, I considered it but I'm actually having some issues getting the PC to control them properly (BIOS isn't helpful, Speedfan doesn't like my setup apparently). I'm not overly worried about cost. The one I linked is like £35 and seems to have nice reviews so pretty reasonable I reckon.

Ok, so you basically have what i'm looking at. Is it something that you can just leave to run itself or do you need to fiddle with it?
    runs itself, with sliders to control fan speed

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I use this fan controller BitFenix-Recon fan controller

After seeing reviews of it and seeing the ratings it got, i knew that it was the one to get. It can be remote controlled via browser and mobile phone (You use the browser on your phone)

You can get it in black or white

tweaktown review bitfenix recon touchscreen fan controller
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2017-08-23 at 06:00 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

i was going to get a fan controller recently.. but £15 for something my motherboard can already do changed my mind. the 3 fans on my cpu cooler are just double-splitter'd onto the cpu fan header.

as long as you don't need too many independent settings, i'd just split them together personally. but if you're happy spending money / don't already have a bunch of y-splits and extensions, fan controller works fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    i was going to get a fan controller recently.. but £15 for something my motherboard can already do changed my mind. the 3 fans on my cpu cooler are just double-splitter'd onto the cpu fan header.

as long as you don't need too many independent settings, i'd just split them together personally. but if you're happy spending money / don't already have a bunch of y-splits and extensions, fan controller works fine too.
    Yeah, I almost bought some splitters myself, but I thought the independent temp sensors were pretty cool. Kinda interesting to see exactly where the heat in my case is, and how I can manipulate it with fans. I get not everyone would be as entertained at that as I am though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, I almost bought some splitters myself, but I thought the independent temp sensors were pretty cool. Kinda interesting to see exactly where the heat in my case is, and how I can manipulate it with fans. I get not everyone would be as entertained at that as I am though.
    Mm, it's also kinda must for custom watercooling, because you really only want to know what your water temp is rather than CPU or GPU temp.