10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Judge who wore Trump hat in court admits he committed misconduct

A Hamilton judge who wore a pro-Donald Trump hat to court the day after the U.S. election admitted at his disciplinary hearing Wednesday that he committed judicial misconduct.

Ontario Court Justice Bernd Zabel, appointed in 1990, testified at the hearing that he bought the red “Make America Great Again” ball cap because it was “historical memorabilia.”

He said he regrets his actions on Nov. 9 immensely.

“I'm not a Trump supporter,” Zabel said Wednesday. “I find it very difficult to find the words to express my profound regret for what I did that day.”

Zabel agreed under cross-examination by presenting counsel Linda Rothstein that people may think the hat could be tied to sexism, racism and bigotry, but said he does not ascribe to those views.

Zabel told a four-member discipline panel, chaired by Court of Appeal Justice Robert Sharpe, that he bought five of the ball caps on Amazon in June 2016 when it looked like Trump was going to win the Republican nomination. He gave four to his friends and kept one for himself.

He wore the hat for about one minute on Nov. 9 to court to “lighten the proceedings” after having had just a few hours of sleep. He then placed it on the dais in front of him and brought it back to his chambers at the morning break.

Before going into court that day, he ran into his colleague Justice Marjoh Agro, who testified Wednesday that she told Zabel “Are you out of your mind?” when she saw the hat.
    “I remember the day all too well because frankly, I regret not ripping that hat off his head,” Agro said.

Zabel was pulled off of cases on Dec. 21, and Agro testified that it “caused havoc,” as trials had to be rescheduled and one matter is at risk of being stayed due to delay.

“He's not the only one that's paid a penalty,” she said, who added she would have no concerns with Zabel coming back to work.

Zabel already apologized in court on Nov. 15 for wearing the hat, but critics said that was at odds with a statement he made at the end of the day in court on Nov. 9 — and that only emerged after the Nov. 15 apology — where he said he “pissed off the rest of the judges because they all voted for Hillary, so I was only the Trump supporter up there but that’s OK.”

Zabel said Wednesday that his words were “ill-considered” and what he meant to say was that he was the only judge who had predicted Trump would win while the rest of his colleagues had thought Clinton would win. He never meant to say that he was a Trump supporter or that the other judges voted for Clinton.

“Why would I ever say they voted for Hillary? They can't vote for Hillary. It was a ridiculous thing to say.”

Police officers were stationed outside the hearing room Wednesday. In the afternoon, lawyers will make submissions on the punishment Zabel should receive.
    https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...isconduct.html

The judiciary plays an extremely important role in our society. Should be barred from ever presiding over another case?

If a judge in Canada puts on a MAGA hat it's obviously a joke.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Calm down Canada, we won't let the scary orange cheetoh terminate NAFTA or drag us into WW3.

He'll blame that on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

The judiciary plays an extremely important role in our society. Should be barred from ever presiding over another case?
    Wait? is this the same guy that you regalled us about here?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...room-is-banned

Oddly enough it is... Do you need 2 threads about the same incident?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Wait? is this the same guy that you regalled us about here?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...room-is-banned

Oddly enough it is... Do you need 2 threads about the same incident?
    That one was a long time ago. It's important we see the outcome and discuss that as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    That one was a long time ago. It's important we see the outcome and discuss that as well.
    So its more important to 'see the outcome' than to comply with the rules that the rest of us have to comply with?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

you should have bumped it with new information so it could have been easily ignored.

We've got some people who are being unusually anal about new thread vs. bumping.

Guess this news is hitting close to home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    So its more important to 'see the outcome' than to comply with the rules that the rest of us have to comply with?
    Please. People get infracted for bumping threads all the time. Trying to get me banned?

10+ Year Old Account
    Please. People get infracted for bumping threads all the time. Trying to get me banned?
    If what you have to post is relevant (which you claim it is) then you shouldn't have a problem.

for wearing a hat. no. nothing should happen. its stupid lol

LOL @ outrage over a judge who plays politics. 9th Circuit court of appeals anyone.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If a judge in Canada puts on a MAGA hat it's obviously a joke.

Jokes aren't something you do in a court room during court.

- - - Updated - - -

You do know trying to be a mod is against the rules too. If you feel he is breaking one report him and move on, or you are no better than him.

Deleted
    There's probably some disciplinary action to be taken. The judiciary themselves have many rules regarding these offenses. Very much doubt disbarring is an option for it though.

Seems like a legit use of taxpayer dollars and already strained judicial resources.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

Historical memorabilia??
    I guess it will be in a little over 3 years when he is gone.

why? should a judge not be allowed to wear hats? or have political opinions of presidential leaders?

Seems very ill-advised for any public official.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Seems like a legit use of taxpayer dollars and already strained judicial resources.
    Judges are required to adhere to strict guidelines on their conduct, otherwise the judiciary can appear biased, frivolous or otherwise unfit to carry out the duties they are trusted with. So yes it is a legitimate use of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    LOL @ outrage over a judge who plays politics. 9th Circuit court of appeals anyone.
    Just because American judges are frequently shit doesn't mean Canada should follow suit in lowering our standards.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters