Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    As the title says. Can X-23 get pregnant or would her healing factor destroy the fetus and sperm cells?
    Luke Cage can blow her back out.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Wolverine's inability to regrow limbs is canon. His regeneration speed is highly variable (ie plot speed).

Its been suggested that Deadpool's regeneration ability is not physical but mental in nature. It will restore his body to what's supposed to be at high speed. In either case his regen is much stronger than Wolverine's.
    Oh, now that you say it, i remember that Deadpool regeneration is actually said to be an improved version of it, better than Wolverines. Then again in a Deadpool issue i also remember they needing to put his skeleton back together in the right way for the healing to work properly.

He was super-charged by the M'kran crystal if its the issue I'm thinking of. Days of Future Past has the correct solution to that problem, ie he can't survive incineration.
    Hum, i didn't actually read all the Wolverine stuff to know it. But it was part of the Civil War storyline, against Nitro. Will look around to see if that was the case.

i actually dropped marvel comics around the time Heroic Age was a thing, and my memory isnt the best. lol only coming back to read some stuff i find interesting.(last thing i remember reading was Superior Spiderman, which i must say it was a big surprise of how good it was)

Thx for the info tho!
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

Not to derail but I often wondered this about rogue. if she managed to have unprotected sex with someone/somehow... would she just end up killing any child forming in her and would it be almost instant like as soon as sperm and egg meet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    As the title says. Can X-23 get pregnant or would her healing factor destroy the fetus and sperm cells?
    Since pregnancy isn't a wound or a disease, I'd say the healing power would have nothing to do with it... save perhaps to protect the fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Since pregnancy isn't a wound or a disease, I'd say the healing power would have nothing to do with it... save perhaps to protect the fetus.
    Some bodies can and do see the fetus as a parasite. This is an actual known medical condition called Rh disease (Erythroblastosis Fetalis) where the mother's immune system attacks the fetus, usually when the blood type of the fetus is different than the mother. The placenta exists purposefully to act as a filter so the mother and baby's blood stream doesn't mix, so I'm assuming the integrity of X24's placental plug would depend on the DNA of that - which I don't know much about. I was only premed, all the blood grossed me out and I never became a doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Some bodies can and do see the fetus as a parasite.
    But we all know that's not what is supposed to happen and it is the exception that proves the rule, so, if someone like X-23 were real and got pregnant, her mutant healing would most likely safeguard the pregnancy.

Some bodies can and do see the fetus as a parasite. This is an actual known medical condition called Rh disease (Erythroblastosis Fetalis) where the mother's immune system attacks the fetus, usually when the blood type of the fetus is different than the mother. The placenta exists purposefully to act as a filter so the mother and baby's blood stream doesn't mix, so I'm assuming the integrity of X24's placental plug would depend on the DNA of that - which I don't know much about. I was only premed, all the blood grossed me out and I never became a doctor.
    yes, and some bodies also see their self as a foreign attacker and attacks itself.

But we all know that's not what is supposed to happen and it is the exception that proves the rule, so, if someone like X-23 were real and got pregnant, her mutant healing would most likely safeguard the pregnancy.
    Actually, it *is* what's supposed to happen, and scientists are still trying to figure out why it DOESN'T happen in re: fetuses. From the five minutes of research I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, it *is* what's supposed to happen...
    No, it really isn't. Women are supposed to carry their pregnancies to term. It's what they are designed to do.*

*I did not say it was the only thing they are supposed to do. Don't bother going there.

I think the body does attack sperm, just not at the speed at which sperm can get to the egg. What do you think happens to the sperm which *doesn't* fertilize the egg?
    Spermatazoa don't live that long anyway, even inside the testicles. They're not self-sustaining cells. That's why so many of them end up being "blanks."
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    She can get pregnant, they don't do damage so wont trigger healing. Going to stuck thou, cause that V-Card is going to grow back every time.
    It's sad when a grown human being doesn't know how vaginas work.

As to the topic at hand, I actually think if they did it they'd probably cast the healing factor for her having like a 1 to 3-month pregnancy instead of a 9, claiming her healing factor sped up the pregnancy.

No, it really isn't. Women are supposed to carry their pregnancies to term. It's what they are designed to do.*

And the immune system is designed to do the opposite, IE, repel and kill foreign invaders. Like I said, scientists are still trying to figure out why these two competing designs actually work out in favor of the fetus being fine and the immune system not destroying it. That's some serious evolutionary biology there, because reproduction started as asexual - the child was literally a clone of the parent - so such a consideration didn't need to happen. As soon as sexual reproduction came about, you were introduced to this problem of immune system defense. In looking into this topic for this thread, I read some interesting papers I only half understood about why that might be.

And the immune system is designed to do the opposite, IE, repel and kill foreign invaders. Like I said, scientists are still trying to figure out why these two competing designs actually work out in favor of the fetus being fine and the immune system not destroying it. That's some serious evolutionary biology there, because reproduction started as asexual - the child was literally a clone of the parent - so such a consideration didn't need to happen. As soon as sexual reproduction came about, you were introduced to this problem of immune system defense. In looking into this topic for this thread, I read some interesting papers I only half understood about why that might be.
    Posting just to say I'm curious about this too.
    Last edited by Zindai; 2017-08-28 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Clarified.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the immune system is designed to do the opposite, IE, repel and kill foreign invaders.
    And a fetus wouldn't be interpreted as a foreign invader. If it were, that would be a malfunction of the immune system.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Well, much like her father figure, she heals at the speed of plot.
    I blame the post Fatal Attractions period. Prior to that, the healing factor kept him alive, but not unstoppable. I remember in X-Cutioner's Song after a fight was over and adrenaline dropped, he had to take a breather over a punctured lung. Nothing else, just a punctured lung and the usual bruses and some cuts from a fight.

Jump ahead to Fatal Attractions where they removed his adamantium and he had bone claws, they accelerated the healing factor. Logical, as it no longer dealt with adamantium poisoning on a constant basis. It also allowed them to continue with interesting stories as the heightend healing factor countered the lack of adamantium.

Jump ahead again to where he regained the adamantium....... they never downgraded his healing factor again. From then on, writers got more and more over the top with what Wolverine could survive and just keep walking through. Just went way overboard and nobody in editing ever reined it in.

- - - Updated - - -

He was super-charged by the M'kran crystal if its the issue I'm thinking of. Days of Future Past has the correct solution to that problem, ie he can't survive incineration.
    Later issue, during Civil War. Nitro thought he killed him because nothing but a skeleton was left, but he regenerated. Height of stupid storyline moments for Wolverine imo (though I liked a lot of the rest of that storyline with Logan hunting Nitro).

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I mean, you could easily have googled her. Just saying.
    That's not what I meant, I'm curious about the human biology eschatological is looking into.
    Best Zindai EU
    I am not one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You said: "I've got no clue who or what this X-23 is".
    I think we're just talking past each other at this point, X-23 doesn't interest me.

Edited my original post to clarify.
    Last edited by Zindai; 2017-08-28 at 01:51 PM.
    Best Zindai EU
    I am not one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    I think we're just talking past each other at this point, X-23 doesn't interest me.

Edited my original post to clarify.
    Why don't you like about X-23?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I blame the post Fatal Attractions period. Prior to that, the healing factor kept him alive, but not unstoppable. I remember in X-Cutioner's Song after a fight was over and adrenaline dropped, he had to take a breather over a punctured lung. Nothing else, just a punctured lung and the usual bruses and some cuts from a fight.

Jump ahead to Fatal Attractions where they removed his adamantium and he had bone claws, they accelerated the healing factor. Logical, as it no longer dealt with adamantium poisoning on a constant basis. It also allowed them to continue with interesting stories as the heightend healing factor countered the lack of adamantium.

Jump ahead again to where he regained the adamantium....... they never downgraded his healing factor again. From then on, writers got more and more over the top with what Wolverine could survive and just keep walking through. Just went way overboard and nobody in editing ever reined it in.
    Yeah, I've always noted that myself as when his healing factor just got ridiculous...but it's not entirely what I mean. Even in the old days there was still a plot-based mechanic regarding how fast Wolverine could heal. If the story needed for Wolverine to be injured for X (no pun intended) amount of time...that was how long he'd be injured for. It's a general problem with Superhero comics (Spider-Man's Spider-Sense is another big example of how well a power works being related to what the plot requires)

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yeah, I've always noted that myself as when his healing factor just got ridiculous...but it's not entirely what I mean. Even in the old days there was still a plot-based mechanic regarding how fast Wolverine could heal. If the story needed for Wolverine to be injured for X (no pun intended) amount of time...that was how long he'd be injured for. It's a general problem with Superhero comics (Spider-Man's Spider-Sense is another big example of how well a power works being related to what the plot requires)
    Definitely true, but the pre 90s plot pacing at least seemed within the realm of bendable consistency. Sure if you line them all up and calculate, yeah, they're inconsistent, but the 80s to early 90s were sure more consistent with each other compared to the last 10 years where he could literally have an arm incinerated down to the adamantium bone and keep fighting as though he didn't even notice and it would grow back by the end of the fight.

80s and through mid 90s he still felt pain and the healing factor still took some amount of time, even if that fluctuated a bit. The wild and loose method of the past decade resulted in doing insane stuff because "it sounds cool in my head" when it wasn't even necessary. 4th and 5th degree burns would be plenty. Burn his arm down so it's bare muscle with no flesh covering it and let that heal over the course of the fight. But down to the metal bone? C'mon, Marvel...

It was more they were given free reign for over the top damage that was the problem more than the rate of healing after the fact because the type of damage was unnecessary to begin with.