Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    The 8 class stories are clearly not over rated.
    Some are ok, some are lame. Problem is the class stories are a tiny amount of the overall quests. If you play through a planet on any given class then you'll have a handful of class quests there. And the vast majority of non-class quests are dull as fuck. Even the class quests aren't that great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Yes they can. Look at Lei Shen and Elisande. Blizz is too tied to making old heroes villains than making new villains from scratch.
    As someone who always felt like inventing new races and villains just keeps us from killing the known antagonists on our to do list, I really enjoyed the hell out of mogu and Lei Shen. The whole continent of pandaria was tied perfectly into the existing lore and there was so much historic knowledge you learned from doing archeology, questing 'n shit.

Also best time as a fire mage

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    This ^

Darth Jadus was a interesting villain. I rank him above that worthless Darth Malgus.

Vitiate was a paper thin, throw a way villain. He was neither interesting or well made. I think blizz could top that easily.

What blizz will never do is top any of the 1-50 class stories.
    Basically this. Played swtor at launch, and basically ended up just making alt after alt until I'd played through each story on either side; then when I realized I had barely anything to do and the most fun I was having was in the little space combat minigame- unsubbed. I cannot even begin to describe how excited I would be if blizz adopted the swtor story telling model. Even though nothing phased or changed after a mission; it still felt so much more engaging and alive hearing my character speak and actually making choices in conversation.

Blizzard can't come even close when it comes to telling stories, no.

The SWTOR story is really amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 8 class stories are clearly not over rated. They are some of the best gaming stories you can play (of course that is if you like SW at all).

However, anything after that you are dead on. Makeb, Sor and especially Kotet/kotfe/iokath are all some of the worst fan fiction writing one could run across in the SW universe.
    Some of the stories were alright, some were great, some were meh. I really liked the Sith Warrior story and the Imperial Agent story. Most of the Republic ones were kinda meh. The Jedi Guardian storyline was way too cliche, the Trooper was just bland. The Smuggler story was pretty funny, I admit, but not as great as the Imperial Agent.

I mained a Jedi Sage and the Counsular story left me really frustrated because no matter how hard you tried at diplomacy, you always ended up having to kill people anyways which basically just gives you an illusion of choice without there being actual consequences based off each individual choice; you just end up killing everyone anyways, so what's the point of dialogue choices? It also defeats the purpose of your class' role in the Galaxy as a peacemaker and diplomat when everything is just whittled down to "more combat!"

One of the BEST story parts of SWTOR, though, are some of the overarching planet stories.

Regardless, aside from the class stories I don't think SWTOR has gone a good direction with stories...I find Vitiate kinda meh as a villain myself. The whole Eternal Empire storyline didn't feel like Star Wars to me.

Blizzard has made some great villains, I don't see how The Lich King isn't seen as one of the best villains they had ever done, Wrath hit the most subscribers ever because of him. I'd say he's probably one of the best villains ever in video games. Illidan (though, I don't really see him as a villain more of a anti-hero) has phenomenal story behind him as well. Kael'thas, Kelthuzad, The Old Gods, Lei Shen, Sargeras....I'd say Blizzard has done a really good job creating villains. Grommash and Garrosh were even good, hell a lot of people complained because they didn't get the chance to kill them personally in game.

I did enjoy SWToR's story, but I mean...they didn't have a villain in any of their games imo, that rivaled the Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by AzazeltheRuthless View Post
    Blizzard has made some great villains, I don't see how The Lich King isn't seen as one of the best villains they had ever done, Wrath hit the most subscribers ever because of him. I'd say he's probably one of the best villains ever in video games. Illidan (though, I don't really see him as a villain more of a anti-hero) has phenomenal story behind him as well. Kael'thas, Kelthuzad, The Old Gods, Lei Shen, Sargeras....I'd say Blizzard has done a really good job creating villains. Grommash and Garrosh were even good, hell a lot of people complained because they didn't get the chance to kill them personally in game.

I did enjoy SWToR's story, but I mean...they didn't have a villain in any of their games imo, that rivaled the Lich King.
    The Lich King is nothing more than Darth Vader.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found it interesting that, to me, the best story in a game about Star Wars is that from an Imperial Sniper.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Really, Darth Vader had the powers of necromancy. Couldn't we technically summarize every single Star Wars Sith villain ever, as just another Darth Vader?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think of Valkorian as a villain. He's an antagonist sure, but he's the closest thing to a god that SWTOR has had and as human beings, I don't think our concepts of villainy scale well. He's more of an interesting plot device poking and proding the player to "take action", like a Kreia 2.0 (though not as well written). Vader was a villain, Acann was a villain, Vaylin was a villain. Evil people who did evil-people things.

Blizzard writes different kinds of villains, and some of them are quite good, and some of them aren't. Sargeras is more comparable to Valkorian. Committing ostensibly evil acts but on a scale that is difficult to comprehend. Kael'thas on the other hand is a villain. Blizzard likes their "fallen hero" villains, characters who make a choice to do evil, to walk down the dark path. Lucas does this, but BioWare does not.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    The Lich King is nothing more than Darth Vader.
    LK is literally a mash-up of Anakin Skywalker and King Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    The way the villain was structured is something I have never seen in WoW, so I wonder: Can Blizzard ever write a story of a character as deep as this one in WoW or is that just a delusion?
    Yes and no. I think Blizz has the ability to do just that. Their writers do often miss but occasionally hit on a good character, one that could be expanded upon and made into a Vitiate-esque baddie. However, the structure of the game (and likely the player base) wouldn't allow for it.

SWTOR was able to focus on one particular character for a very long time and made them great. I don't know if that's a possibility within WoW where there is a precedent for massive change every 2 years and a playerbase crying out for new and different content constantly.

WoW storytelling is them putting a bunch of ideas into a bag then picking one out. It makes almost no sense. WoD was a prime example of how shit their writers are. Time travel back to outland? I dont get how pandaria lead up to that, or where pandaria even came from.

Blizzard is more about racing to end game. The story is there to give that purpose. In SWTOR the journy matters as much as the end game. I mean tell you the truth I leveled 5 toons in SWTOR to max during the last content gap in WoW between WoD and Legion. I can say just getting them there was as much if not more fun than it was just grinding 5 mans and solo raids / pug raids / pvp over and over again. In WoW I feel I am more pressed to just get this leveling crap over with so I can get to the beef. I am not sure why.. it just.. works that way.