Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why doesn't Blizzard just remove professions?

Remove professions as they are now and bake the items into the loot rotations, weekly rewards, or just make stuff purchasable with the obscene amounts of gold we get these days?

Professions as they are now, seem to be generally denounced on my server (Wyrmrest Accord) as relics of a bygone era. They exist only because Blizzard thinks we need the nostalgic feeling of mass producing greens and blues for a week to be able to make 2 or 3 items or 4 to 6 enchants of value.

Obviously making professions matter requires effort and "resources" (whatever that means) on Blizzard's part which they certainly have no inclination to give at this point, so why not just do what they always do and "bake-in" professions into vendor items or special micro-holiday prizes?

If anything, I would LOVE to see professions mean something to our characters, but there are a LOT of things I would love to see that will just never happen, so in true blizz fashion, take the easy road and just put this system to death and move on.

Do you agree or do you actually find some meaning in these "professions" or, as I like to call them, a negative waste of time?

10+ Year Old Account
    As professions are now? Mostly pointless and I couldn't care less if they stayed or not.

But if blizz brought them back to like MoP era usefulness then I'd say they need to stay because they actually matter.

Right now most crafting profs feel like a waste. JC is only useful when people get lucky gem procs, but hey at least enchanting and alchemy stay useful 100% of the expansion. Cooking is also another one of those always useful profs.

The tiered rank system in legion sucks, oh so you need godlike RNG to get rank 3? well guess what, you'll make this flask 6k times and before you even see your friend get the proc. Same goes with Nomi and his burnt food nonsense, you can try all expansion to get a rank 3 of 1 pattern and never get it.

Rank system needs to go, crafting profs need to feel useful all expansion, and not with this obliterum nonsense. JC needs to not have such horrbile RNG with their gem drops and gear procs, 400 ore and only 2 gems does not feel great. But hey, at least alchemists and enchanters can still make a profit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthoris View Post
    As professions are now? Mostly pointless and I couldn't care less if they stayed or not.

But if blizz brought them back to like MoP era usefulness then I'd say they need to stay because they actually matter.

Right now most crafting profs feel like a waste. JC is only useful when people get lucky gem procs, but hey at least enchanting and alchemy stay useful 100% of the expansion. Cooking is also another one of those always useful profs.

The tiered rank system in legion sucks, oh so you need godlike RNG to get rank 3? well guess what, you'll make this flask 6k times and before you even see your friend get the proc. Same goes with Nomi and his burnt food nonsense, you can try all expansion to get a rank 3 of 1 pattern and never get it.

Rank system needs to go, crafting profs need to feel useful all expansion, and not with this obliterum nonsense. JC needs to not have such horrbile RNG with their gem drops and gear procs, 400 ore and only 2 gems does not feel great. But hey, at least alchemists and enchanters can still make a profit.
    Jc and alchemy,are to professions that's actually directly needed today because of flasks and gems. Same with enchanting. To say otherwise is stupid.

The gear crafting pofesssions are the ones that are underwhelming atm. some of them have merits but rarely for people on this forum who have high ilvl mains

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Jc and alchemy,are to professions that's actually directly needed today because of flasks and gems. Same with enchanting. To say otherwise is stupid.

The gear crafting pofesssions are the ones that are underwhelming atm. some of them have merits but rarely for people on this forum who have high ilvl mains
    You have to admit though, he touched all the points perfectly. It really is stupid to pick up a profession on a new character, especially the DH because you can't even boost the professions.

Every guild that raids competently will have a multitude of maxed cooking and maxed Alch/Ench/JC so it doesn't really even count towards professions being "fun" or meaningful beyond "okay, pop this menial thing, eat this stupid feast, enchant your shit properly, we're ready to go min-maxers!"

At least GW2, as boring a game as it is, has an AWESOME profession system that feels engaging, at least for a while when new stuff actually comes online. I might have high expectations, but since this is big-nuts-blizz we're talking about, why not have high expectations? Make professions mean something, do some work to complicate the game, give us the ability to make raid-finder and normal raid level gear so we're not locked into RNG and we're rewarded for collecting rare materials. Make collecting rare materials both difficult and rewarding. Find a special cave full of ley seams or destroy a Legion building and mine tons of Felslate. Kill that rarespawn or world boss? Get rare demon skin, a magic-rich crystal, or some netherspawned flora that grows from it's blood. I mean good goddamn, SOMETHING more than "oh, a node, *dink dink dink* looted, on to the next 500. *prospected 485 ore* yay... I got a gem that only 20 people on the server actually can use."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post

As my guilds JC, I know how important it is, but we've had over a month of gear drop without 1 gem slot procing. Which was why I was saying it's only important when people get lucky. While Alchemy Enchanting and cooking are always important.

I make 100s of thousands a week on professions, so no, don't remove them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobusRex View Post
    You have to admit though, he touched all the points perfectly. It really is stupid to pick up a profession on a new character, especially the DH because you can't even boost the professions.

Every guild that raids competently will have a multitude of maxed cooking and maxed Alch/Ench/JC so it doesn't really even count towards professions being "fun" or meaningful beyond "okay, pop this menial thing, eat this stupid feast, enchant your shit properly, we're ready to go min-maxers!"

At least GW2, as boring a game as it is, has an AWESOME profession system that feels engaging, at least for a while when new stuff actually comes online. I might have high expectations, but since this is big-nuts-blizz we're talking about, why not have high expectations? Make professions mean something, do some work to complicate the game, give us the ability to make raid-finder and normal raid level gear so we're not locked into RNG and we're rewarded for collecting rare materials. Make collecting rare materials both difficult and rewarding. Find a special cave full of ley seams or destroy a Legion building and mine tons of Felslate. Kill that rarespawn or world boss? Get rare demon skin, a magic-rich crystal, or some netherspawned flora that grows from it's blood. I mean good goddamn, SOMETHING more than "oh, a node, *dink dink dink* looted, on to the next 500. *prospected 485 ore* yay... I got a gem that only 20 people on the server actually can use."
    If you want to raid and your guild provides you with everything pick up alch and a gathering profession. Alch for longer flask duration and gathering for free gold. If you are in a raid guild crafting professions where never meant for you. The only time ever they where useful for raiders where in tbc because some of the crafter gear was blatantly op pre black temple

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Ofc you do

Change the f'ing shoulders rank 3 from rated bg win to regular! Hard enouth to win bg's as Horde as it is when I play!

Deleted
    profs rnt just flavor, but an (not so) optional parallel progression system to enhance player interactivity and character expierence.

2016 : "omg they are removing so many abilities, fuck you blizzard"
    2017 : "remove all crafting plz"

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yeah it's interesting how professions have gone. I haven't loved professions over the last two xpacs; but dang it there's still tons of gold to be made using them. For those who understand the in game/server economy, it would be a huge hit. So yeah I wouldn't want them to disappear either.

Quote Originally Posted by Liarparadox View Post
    Yeah it's interesting how professions have gone. I haven't loved professions over the last two xpacs; but dang it there's still tons of gold to be made using them. For those who understand the in game/server economy, it would be a huge hit. So yeah I wouldn't want them to disappear either.
    All five of them.

I don't begrudge them though, you take the time and effort to make the gold you deserve it.

I will say that since... maybe... WotLK? I never really bothered to level a non-Herbalism/Profession. The perks were just not worth it. I wouldn't say remove it, I'd say give professions the equivalent of character model overhaul because the current system just... sucks.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    All five of them.

I don't begrudge them though, you take the time and effort to make the gold you deserve it.

I will say that since... maybe... WotLK? I never really bothered to level a non-Herbalism/Profession. The perks were just not worth it. I wouldn't say remove it, I'd say give professions the equivalent of character model overhaul because the current system just... sucks.
    yeah i don't like the current model either. I'd want them to overhaul the system as well.

I don't mind professions as i have the choice to ignore they exist and i make so much gold that i can just be lazy and goto the AH and buy what i want with out having to farm mats, what i do mind is stupid fn quests to unlock new recipes.

There are many collectors in the World of Warcraft, Some collect Transmog, some collect bosses kills, some collect spines from your enemy :P.. but some people out there like professions and want to collect all recipies as they can.

Now imagine a world were you have leveled a main and x amount of alts just so you can have every profession and you managed to max out them all every expansion but this expansion, you are told that to get new recipes you have to do quests & done such a way you cant get them all once in one day. Now if i was this person i would be thinking ...... FFS i have to do these stupid quests weeks on end on EVERY alt

F THIS!

TL - DR ... Profs are fine just annoyed with how you obtain new recipes :P xx
    Last edited by Whitehatter; 2017-09-08 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    All five of them.

Not really that hard to understand though, people just don't bother even trying. Like, proc'd a double haste roll cloth item, that's an easy 30k gold. A little setup and you can make so much its not funny, but people are lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehatter View Post
    I don't mind professions as i have the choice to ignore they exist and i make so much gold that i can just be lazy and goto the AH and buy what i want with out having to farm mats, what i do mind is stupid fn quests to unlock new recipes.

There are many collectors in the World of Warcraft, Some collect Transmog, some collect bosses kills, some collect spines from your enemy :P.. but some people out there like professions and want to collect all recipies as they can.

Now, imagine a world were you have leveled a main and x amount of alts just so you can have every profession and you managed to max out them all every expantion but this expansion, you are told that to get new recipes you have to do quests & done such a way u cant get them all once in one day.
    now if i was this person i would be thinking ...... FFS i have to do these stupid quests weeks on end on EVERY alt

F THIS!

TL - DR ... Profs are fine just annoyed with how you obtain new recipes :P xx
    Yea, the quests were fun at first, but by the 3rd time... not really, the ranks are rather rng and annoying as well, STILL don't have 1 rank three alch pattern.

Deleted
    As professions are right now they could delete them. Boring as fuck. Started during mop with the ability to level BS with mop mats only. And then it just gone worse.

I want the old system back, maybe even more "complicated". So that a up to date "epic" craft maybe still need some materials from an older expansion.
    They are talking shit about the need of CRZ, so the world feel more alive, how about actually having things that make some players go out to older areas also.

they missed the opportunity to remove character profession cap. would have been the right time to do it since all prior profession progress is irrelevant in legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    The sim is correct, it isn't generally well known but war token really is a six thousand dps increase over deaths choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should actually overhaul professions by looking at MMOs where they are actually well designed.
    But that would mean making efforts, which seems to be a no-no these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotan View Post
    I want the old system back, maybe even more "complicated". So that a up to date "epic" craft maybe still need some materials from an older expansion.
    They are talking shit about the need of CRZ, so the world feel more alive, how about actually having things that make some players go out to older areas also.
    They need to overhaul professions completely for that, so that all ores (for instance) keep at least a certain degree of usefulness throughout expansions.
    But who am I kidding
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    How about no?

I don't agree at all. Professions has a big part of the game and just needs adjustments now and then (sadly).

And yes, I enjoy my current choices of professions quite a lot.

And I would be sad to see anything from professions, that isn't plans or materials, to be added to the loot trees.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather they fix them and make them useful.

In addition, I'm generally against just removing stuff from the game just because it's pointless or someone doesn't like it. It does have a point for some and improving is always better than removing.

If everything that got a thread like this were removed there wouldn't be any game left.

So, no.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."