Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Having this discussion with some of my friends (we all enjoy Destiny to varying degrees) and there appears to be huge disagreement about the classification of Destiny.

I don't think it's super important that games fit neatly into a genre, but when we pitch the game to other people and some say it's a sci-fi MMO, others disagree and think it's misleading.

My position is that it's like an MMO-lite. Let's look at typical end game in the gold standard for MMOs: World of Warcraft. The WoW experience starts with a leveling up 1-110 journey that lasts a few weeks in a large number of open world zones. However after that, 90% of the game experience is at max level where you chill in a capital city waiting on queues to pop. Because of this system, a vast majority of the WoW content is irrelevant indefinitely once you get to cap.

What Destiny decided to do is cut the fat on most of that content. They have a few zones that handle the leveling journey, and then just focus on the primary MMO experience.

However in principle, I feel MMOs should be open-world focused. WoW has sort of changed direction on this with World Quests, and there are still other MMOs that handle this much better - like GW2 having everything scale and dynamic events.

That's why I feel Destiny can still be considered an MMO, but I qualify it as an MMO-lite. It generally replicates most of the entire WoW experience.

Would like to hear most of your thoughts on this.
    Why does an MMO have to be those things? Your desire to put things in a box is very limiting, and makes for really bad ideas.

If you were to ask what is an MMO prior to the conception of WoW, vs what it is now... you'd get very different answers.

Point being, we should encourage the evolution of a genre. MMO simply stands for massively multiplayer online... every game out there fits that build (technically).

Which is my we have different names emerging, MMOFPS, MMORPG. Would KOTOR been as successful as it was if it had been a "traditional" RPG? I don't think so, in fact I would say that it was BECAUSE it was different that it was so successful.

Its a really petty argument anyway... play it or don't play. What difference does it make.

For example myself... I don't like MMOs... I like WoW but I don't care for the MMO "genre".

I remember seeing this video on the WCIII disc.

I didn't care what it was... I wanted to be part of it. I check the Blizzard website like every week for news on WoW and playing the beta was my first experience with an MMO. I showed it to my friend and he tried to get me to play City of Heroes, Everquest, Conan, Guild Wars, Warhammer MMO,... I've actually picked up quite a few over the years and I never last longer than the initial 30 days. SWTOR... I played to the original level cap but that is probably my second most played MMO. The point here is they all bring something different to the table, and some stay very true to the rigid MMORPG you want MMO to defined as. Its those that deviate from that, that tend to be better than the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    no.

it's and instanced multiplayer shooter.

not enough ppl to be as mmo if ask from me

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what you call massive. I could care less how heavily instanced it is, all games are instanced.

How many people can be out in the open world at once fighting enemies? What is the instanced cap?

GW2 is a MMO, for the simple fact there are loads of people on a map fighting enemies at the same time.

Good lord of course it isn't an MMO. If it was then pretty much any modern shooter with more than 24+ players in one map would be an MMO.

Even Bungie doesn't say it's an MMO on the official page:
    Quote Originally Posted by https://www.destinythegame.com/game
    thrilling solo adventures, and cooperative, competitive, and public gameplay
    Last edited by Grable; 2017-09-12 at 12:34 PM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    What Destiny is, is an FPS ARPG with small group multiplayer, it's Diablo in first person with guns.
    No, it is not, there is not any content in diablo locked behind any multiplayer requisite, none at all.
    Also i do not know anything about destiny raiding, but i guess there is some kind of ID limit as the one raiding in wow has, there is nothing with an ID lockout in diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    By definition yes that is massive.

Sorry but people don't get to change the definition of words to fit their argument.
    By what/who's definition? 26 is by no means massive IMO, especially if that's the cap in any open area. Might as well call BF3 an MMO.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Don't know if serious or just... either way I'm still laughting my ass off, thanks.
    Don't know if serious or just... either way I'm laughing* my ass off, thanks.

Please post productively and on-topic. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-09-13 at 04:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    It's MO, not MMO, it's not a Massively Multiplayer Online experience, the only places where there's A LOT OF people simultaneously are hubs, realistically hubs are just lobbies...By some people's logic BF1 is MMOFPS because it has 32v32
    So a 3d hub is just realistically a lobby? Does that mean that Dalaran is just a lobby and the other zones of WoW (that sometimes don't get that many) make WoW not an MMO? The definition of MMO has to be universal not applied differently to games just because you want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    There should be a rule...

It's not an MMO without a persistent world. If everything is an instance it's not an MMO. Zone lines are fine. But if the "city" functions as a "lobby" it's not a goddamn mmo. It's a pathetic half ass attempt.
    WoW uses instances now. That is why you can have 10,000 players in the same zone with out lag. Because it uses world instances to house a maximum amount of people per world instance so the game play experience is not impacted.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."