View Poll Results: Whose side are you on?

Voters
24. This poll is closed
  • The manager. It's a family restaurant, dress appropriately.

17 70.83%
  • The waitress. She should be able to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants.

1 4.17%
  • Not sure. Case by case situation.

6 25.00%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation East Side Mario's waitress complains about manager's demand that she wear a bra

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/east...work-1.4277827

A waitress at East Side Mario's in Timmins, Ont., claims a female manager unfairly demanded she wear a bra at work.

"It's a violation of my rights as a person to dictate my undergarments," says Geneviève Loiselle, who started working at the chain restaurant in May.

"It was a really sexist thing to do."

Loiselle is also upset over how the situation was dealt with. She alleges the manager took her aside before her shift on Sept. 2 and told her she needed to wear a bra as part of her work uniform.

"She like literally was looking right at my breasts and said, 'Well, Gen, I can clearly see that you're not wearing a bra and that you have nipple piercings,'" says Loiselle.

The 22-year-old describes herself as smaller-chested and finds going braless more comfortable. She believes it's every woman's right to choose if she wants to wear the undergarment.

"Some men have larger breasts than I do. You would never impose [a bra] on a male so why would you impose that on a female?"

Loiselle claims when she presented this argument to her manager, she was told, "'People don't look at women's bodies the same way they look at men's bodies.'"

CBC News asked East Side Mario's owner, Cara International, about Loiselle's allegations and its policy on wearing a bra on the job.

"We were recently made aware of this situation and are investigating this matter," the company replied in an email.

'I'm covered'

Loiselle says the manager also told her that two customers and a co-worker had complained about her braless appearance, and that East Side Mario's is a family restaurant.

"I'm not prancing my breasts around," argues the waitress, who wears an East Side Mario's T-shirt as part of her uniform and believes it provides adequate coverage. "I understand if I had a see-through shirt, but my shirt's black and it's all the way up to my neck."

Loiselle says the manager also told her that wearing a bra is part of the restaurant's dress code, but when she asked to see the policy, she found it actually mentioned nothing about bras.

"As if you would impose servers to wear a thong. No you can't do that, it's undergarments," says Loiselle. "I just felt judged from the start."

The waitress says the next day, the manager backtracked and denied she ordered Loiselle to wear a bra, instead insisting she just wanted to know why the employee didn't wear one.

The manager also told her the district manager and head office would now deal with the matter, says Loiselle, who also contacted head office to complain about the situation.

She now feels uneasy about her job and unsure how this will play out. "I really don't feel that comfortable here."

While she waits for a resolution, she's off work until Sept. 19, because the restaurant is closed for renovations.

This isn't the first time a female employee has publicly complained about having to wear a bra at work. In June, Kate Hannah made headlines in the U.K. when she alleged on Facebook that she was fired from her job at a bar for refusing to wear one.

"I am absolutely disgusted, with the unprofessionalism, and blatant lack of respect for my right as a woman to wear whatever makes me personally comfortable," posted Hannah.

The bar in question — Bird and Beer in Beverley, England — has denied the allegations.

So can a Canadian workplace mandate that female employees wear a bra?

Case law is trending toward the notion that employers can't mandate gender-specific dress unless there's a non-discriminatory, justifiable reason for doing so, says labour and employment lawyer Morgan Rowe.

"If an employer is asking you to wear something and it's a dress code requirement being placed on you because of your gender, that's probably going to run some difficulties with human rights law," says Rowe, with the Ottawa firm Raven Law.

She points to a 2005 case where the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal found discrimination on the basis of sex because a bar required female servers to wear a bikini top.
    Server

Businesses that require female servers to wear skimpy outfits without making a similar rule for men may run into 'some difficulties with human rights law,' says labour and employment lawyer Morgan Rowe. (Associated Press)

It's difficult to determine if requiring female workers to wear a bra would also be considered discrimination, says Rowe. "It would come down to the specifics of the job and why it is that the employer thinks that it's problematic that an individual isn't wearing a bra."

Loiselle believes there's no problem with her going braless.

The nursing student says while she needs the part-time job to support herself, if head office insists that she put on a bra, she'll have to quit.

"When it violates my values, then I have to take a stand."
    Hello, this is a top story today and I thought it would be worth discussing. I find it really disturbing that this is where society is at. It really makes you wonder what is next!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, are you upset that that she wasn't wearing a bra or that she was being told to put one on?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Couldn't a compromise be to wear a thicker layer under her work uniform?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Wait, are you upset that that she wasn't wearing a bra or that she was being told to put one on?
    He's upset that his trolling didn't gather 10 replies in the first 30 seconds after he made the thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Hello, this is a top story today and I thought it would be worth discussing. I find it really disturbing that this is where society is at. It really makes you wonder what is next!
    Even for you, this is the most generic, unimaginative boiler-plate "thread starter" I have ever seen. Come on Tenniceface, you used to be good at this. Don't fall off like Jaylock did. I still believe in you.

#FreeTheNipple

Let those titties flop on out. WooHoo!!!!!

I remember a time before this.

I miss the 90s.

She wants bigger tips.

She's kind of cute, looks a little crazy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I think the real issue was about 'piercings'. 'Normal' tits would only attract more customers.
    Contrary to how voiceful opponents are, all piercings, tattoos, those tunnel-things, are simply off-putting by majority of average people. You don't want to off-put your clients.

The black shirt seems enough to cover her.. We arent fucking medieval time anymore. I always laugh at shit like this when the argument is its a family place... yeah then the family turns around and go watch a tv show or movie where people explodes and kill each other. Wow they might see the shape of nipples pressed on a black cloth lol. Also what about fat fucks with man boobs bigger then their heads, they even go topless in public.

10+ Year Old Account
    First the manager is being a weirdo staring at her employees chest but anyways businesses have dress codes and if you want to work for them then you have to follow their rules. If that includes women must wear bras then either do it or find a different job. It being a "family" restaurant is a non factor.

7+ Year Old Account
    A job is not a casual endeavor. While I personally don't have a problem with women being bra-less, I can see how it'd be a problem in a restaurant or other business setting. You've a personal responsibility to dress sensibly while at work. A bra is a pretty basic requirement, especially if you're "poking" through your uniform or flopping around. And the only thing "cute" about her is in an ironic sense because she clearly doesn't understand what "sexist" means.

Well I mean if her nipples are pierced I assume you could see the piercings through the shirt. Not sure what I think about this. You obviously can't tell an employee what to wear under their clothes. I could see it being an issue if someone complained but really who would care?

10+ Year Old Account
    Businesses have dress codes. Deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Act like an attention seeking whore on your own time.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's just another tennis thread. He's never clear about his trolling. That's why he's so good at it.

My god when it's not about the plight of natives Canadian news sure is boring and pedantic.

If a dude had their nips uncomfortably protruding, I'm pretty sure something would be said about that too.

15+ Year Old Account

Didn't even need to see what she looked like to guess her age based on the way she speaks.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid millennials. Just wear the fucking bra bitch or find a job where you don't have to. Never complain about trivial nonsense.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side