Thread: The Orville

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's a less funny version of star trek.

Saw the first episode. Wasn't impressed. The parts where it wasn't trying and failing to be a comedy were decent...but at that point it was basically just youtube-level Star Trek fan-fiction. It's funny when Picard and co. are talking shit and doing silly things as a couple minute sketch in an episode of Family Guy. It doesn't work as an entire show.

This is gonna be Firefly 2 basically. A shortlived show with a huge cult following. It's not supposed to be a comedy fyi. It's supposed to be star trek with regular people or something. The marketing fucked up the expectations.

Why does Fox cancel an abnormal ammount of shows vs. other networks? Do other networks cancel this many shows as frequently?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-09-24 at 03:43 AM.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm having fun with this show.

Just hoping that STD shapes up to be a good show. /fingers crossed

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    This is gonna be Firefly 2 basically. A shortlived show with a huge cult following. It's not supposed to be a comedy fyi. It's supposed to be star trek with regular people or something. The marketing fucked up the expectations.

Why does Fox cancel an abnormal ammount of shows vs. other networks? Do other networks cancel this many shows as frequently?
    They hype them as something they aren't, like the orville, being shown almost exclusively as a comedy series, when it's much more serious than pretty much anything else the guy's done for them, and so far it's kind of working. a few tweaks, and it could be a really great series.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    They hype them as something they aren't, like the orville, being shown almost exclusively as a comedy series, when it's much more serious than pretty much anything else the guy's done for them, and so far it's kind of working. a few tweaks, and it could be a really great series.
    They fucked up by picking fox as the network. They shouldve put it on Netflix or HBO or something. Fox treats their new shows like shit and cans them fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    They fucked up by picking fox as the network. They shouldve put it on Netflix or HBO or something. Fox treats their new shows like shit and cans them fast.
    not really, all of the main network shows cancel alot of things. people who get mad at shows getting cancelled are honestly just not thinking straight.

shows are funded by advertisements. the main thing advertisers care about is live ratings and live + 3. if you dont have a nielson box you arent counted so dont feel guilty about pirating or fast forwarding through the commercials on your dvr. if you do have a nielson box try to watch live and if you cant watch the commercials when you watch it on your dvr (otherwise you arent counted) and out of those ratings the only ratings they care about are the demo 18 - 49 , and for most shows males 18 - 49 as they buy the most merchandise

it takes two to dance. im an actor, shows have to do well, luckily for shows ratings as a whole are down on the big 4 as cable and streaming and youtube/twitch eat into their audience more and more.

so far the show is doing fine, it had a drop after going to its normal time slot and not having football as a lead in but all shows suffer a drop after first episodes.

it was 1st place in its demo of 18-49 for the night out of the big 4 so unless it continues to have heavy losses (which it could, generally you know by episode 4 whether or not a show is somewhat stable, most shows will have small drops or small ups every episode but mostly hover around a general number if theyre stable and typically have atleast a 30% drop every season or so and if they make it past season 3 they typically run for as long as they want unless ratings take a nose dive)

solid start, if it stays strong it'll be renewed. thats all there is too it. quality doesnt matter because quality doesnt pay the bills.

the only show i know of that was allowed to go on for a long time due only to its critical reception and cheap budget is hannibal

some things in orvilles favor is that its being made by seth who has pull at fox and fox owns it so its cheaper for them to make and will ultimately make them more money the longer it goes on. however i havent started watching it so i cant speak to the budget but it didnt seem super expensive since most of the aliens in the trailer seem to be practical effects
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    shows are funded by advertisements. the main thing advertisers care about is live ratings and live + 3. if you dont have a nielson box you arent counted so dont feel guilty about pirating or fast forwarding through the commercials on your dvr. if you do have a nielson box try to watch live and if you cant watch the commercials when you watch it on your dvr (otherwise you arent counted) and out of those ratings the only ratings they care about are the demo 18 - 49 , and for most shows males 18 - 49 as they buy the most merchandise
    And this is what is wrong with that system in a global world. I live in the eu and I would prefer the us networks would put up the shows for 1 buck/ep on something like itunes *shiver* so the networks would start to notice that their shows are watched globaly and not only in muricana....

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    And this is what is wrong with that system in a global world. I live in the eu and I would prefer the us networks would put up the shows for 1 buck/ep on something like itunes *shiver* so the networks would start to notice that their shows are watched globaly and not only in muricana....
    as long as theyre funded by advertisements the people in other countries will always be an afterthought. what they really need to do though is get rid of the nielson system but theres not really any accurate way to gauge the age or gender of someone watching and thats what advertisers care about, netflix, amazon, hbo ect are all based around pure viewing numbers on accounts and length of time watching. if enough people with amazon prime watch a show, it gets renewed.

theres no way to ACTUALLY know how many people are watching a show because only a small amount of people are chosen by nielson to get paid to have a box hooked up at their house and if you are chosen by nielson and agree you can only do it for 2 years
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I wanted to like it. It had a Trek feel to it. MacFarfromfunny was doing a dramatic role and not even trying to be funny, so I thought it had potential.

Then it started to occur to me; why reinvent the wheel? Why make a new Star Trek that isn't Star Trek? And, of course, on top of that, they had to ruin it with completely pointless marital problem BS with "oh my wife is the XO" and "she cheated on me and we divorced but it's all amazing and good now again!", and they had to go ahead and cast Adrianne Palicki in it.

It wanted to be Star Trek, but after takeoff it fell on it's face and became just another pointless drama.
    They needed a MILF, stop complaining

Deleted
    The show is pretty good but my problem is its just extremely similar to Star trek, they should try to go their own way.

Its bubble will bust. It went from being "after NFL on Fox" show to "directly competing with the NFL" on thursday night. So more or less Americans that don't flip the channel after the Sunday games on FOX were seeing it. Which is a whole lot I would imagine. People coming home from work on Thursday and after dinner are looking for what to watch and will likely flip over to the NFL. It is a brilliant way to promote a new show and getting a lot of people to see it. Sadly it is going to have to be a REALLY good show to servive that switch. This show, while not horrible, isn't the type of thing people follow around like a child follows a puppy dog.

As someone who is both a football fan and a Star Trek fan, if you think people are voluntarily tuning into Thursday Night Football out-of-market, you don't know the shitshow which is TNF. They put literally the worst games on Thursday.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Underwhelming, unimpressive, unoriginal and only mildly funny. if it makes its whole first season I will be surprised, it wont get 2.
    I think this sums it up well. It isn't a smart show, and it seems to be struggling with deciding on being a parody, an outright comedy, or trying to play it straight.

Maybe it would have been funny to me if I was a teenager, but the pacing is very uneven and the jokes were funny...20 or 30 years ago.

Third episode was great. Really reminded me of TNG's The Measure of a Man.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is definitely not the comedy we were sold in the trailers.

That's not a bad thing.

Its not very funny or interesting but It is better than the new star trek discovery so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Its not very funny or interesting but It is better than the new star trek discovery so far.
    Pretty much my summary so far!!

Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    Pretty much my summary so far!!
    I find it interesting. It's obviously Seth's dream/fantasy project considering his love for Trek. I'm glad it is not a straight satire or straight laced. It just needs to find the right balance. It already has 13 shows produced for this season to those saying it will not last the season. Seth literally prints money for Fox in the short term. So I expect it to last at least another season after this. That is more than enough time to find it's stride. Hi s shows usually take half a season to get going well.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    I find it interesting. It's obviously Seth's dream/fantasy project considering his love for Trek. I'm glad it is not a straight satire or straight laced. It just needs to find the right balance. It already has 13 shows produced for this season to those saying it will not last the season. Seth literally prints money for Fox in the short term. So I expect it to last at least another season after this. That is more than enough time to find it's stride. Hi s shows usually take half a season to get going well.
    Thing with Fox shows its not about advertisement revenue its all about foreign sales and DVDs after all how do you think Family Guy survived and how the Simpsons is still going?

If this shit is a huge hit abroad and if it doesnt really cost that much to produce then this will carry on till as Troy McClure brilliantly said 'Till the show stops being profitable'!

Ive stuck with this show and like i said its not as funny as i had hoped but it does have a sci fi thing that i find somewhat interesting but i hate seth mcfarland and i feel if he wasnt in it maybe this could do better.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-09-25 at 11:22 AM.