Page 1 of 9
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Does blizzard ever do something about homophobic comments?

    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

  2. #2
    habitual offenders eventually get increasingly severe warnings, punishments and bans
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2017-09-09 at 06:43 AM.

  3. #3
    most people don't give a crap and don't report them, you alone reporting people means nothing they will only do something if alot of people do the same and most don't.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    most people don't give a crap and don't report them, you alone reporting people means nothing they will only do something if alot of people do the same and most don't.
    What's the point of having a report system then?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

  5. #5
    Immortal Saverem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Old New New York
    Posts
    7,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    If everyone got banned for a homophobic comment, there would be exactly 3 people left playing Overwatch.

    This is a competitive PvP game, shit talking is to be expected. I say it all the time and never got so much as a warning.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    If everyone got banned for a homophobic comment, there would be exactly 3 people left playing Overwatch.

    This is a competitive PvP game, shit talking is to be expected.
    Homophobic comments is not shit talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I apologize for my mistake, you're a kpop fan which is borderline worse than pedophilia.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What's the point of having a report system then?
    its simple, you report some one for saying something in one game and it does nothing. a ton of people report some one in many games and they get banned. they stack up but you need quite a few for it to matter its like this in most games like league hero's smite ect. i can go into a game of hero's and be a complete ass to some one (which i some times do) and get reported by them but if i'm nice or don't get reported in 99 other games that one game and one report doesn't matter.

  8. #8
    Unless you are cheating, you aren't going to ever going to banned from games for what you say in chat it seems.

  9. #9
    Immortal Saverem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Old New New York
    Posts
    7,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Homophobic comments is not shit talking.
    Yes it is. I bet 99% of the people who call others "faggots" or "dick suckers" etc are not themselves homophobic. They're just 14 year olds trying to get a reaction from other players.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Homophobic comments is not shit talking.
    unless there going into deep detail it pretty much is, i can call some one a faggot without being homophobic its all about context.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    unless there going into deep detail it pretty much is, i can call some one a faggot without being homophobic its all about context.
    You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

    Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Yarma

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    What are some examples of those homophobic remarks that you've reported?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    Ever vigilant OP


  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Vynestra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heartbreak City
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    unless there going into deep detail it pretty much is, i can call some one a faggot without being homophobic its all about context.
    As someone who is gay I can say I have stopped joining voice chat a lot in OW, because when they hear my voice I immediately get seriously offensive comments about "do you like dick in your butt?" "how much dick do you suck" "are you a faggot" or they repeat what I say in a really gay sounding voice..or something else.

    It's really ruined overwatch for me, I won't lie. I only play with friends at all. And I report, but I doubt anything happens.
    "The future belongs to those that have the vision to see it"

  15. #15
    Get a thicker skin, its 2017 and you are on the internet, sure the whole SJW movements gives reports all over the place but :

    Only repeat offenders at close timelines will get punished.

    Cheaters are more of a problem than you being offended.

    So basically your report is almost irrelevant unless more people ban him often enough to get a response out of the report system.

    And lol believing you being offended "Will remove them from the game".

    Everyone can claim you offend them by playing the game too because of whatever reason, why arent you "Being removed from the game?"
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-09 at 07:22 AM.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Vynestra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heartbreak City
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Get a thicker skin, its 2017 and you are on the internet, sure the whole SJW movements gives reports all over the place but :

    Only repeat offenders at close timelines will get punished.

    Cheaters are more of a problem than you being offended.

    So basically your report is almost irrelevant unless more people ban him often enough to get a response out of the report system.

    And lol believing you being offended "Will remove them from the game".

    Everyone can claim you offend them by playing the game too because of whatever reason, why arent you "Being removed from the game?"
    Get a thicker skin.

    thats like telling someone who is depressed to "stop being depressed"

    I'm really refraining from calling you names because I don't want to waste an infraction on someone like you, but that's just a really insensitive comment, and you wouldn't understand unless you were in the shoes of the person who is being harassed because they're gay, when they're just trying to play a game.

    Did you ever think that people play games to escape the reality of homophobic people? That's what got me into gaming, being able to escape the homophobic people in high school when I was still in the closet and I got made fun of for sounding gay, I wanted to escape that, so to have to log on to an escape and be met with that, it's not "get a thicker skin", it's called get rid of the people who are being insensitive as fuck and driving people to kill themselves.

    Your attitude is part of the problem.
    "The future belongs to those that have the vision to see it"

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

    Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    I tend to use faggot as an insult linked to nothing I don't use it as synonyms to any thing just like the way it sounds I do similar with other words ilike the sound of Comply misusing them with no content or real meaning. That is why context is important I even tend to use gay as synonyms with happy as I often say let's have a gay old time when playing with freinds as the word was originally intended to be used.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    As someone who is gay I can say I have stopped joining voice chat a lot in OW, because when they hear my voice I immediately get seriously offensive comments about "do you like dick in your butt?" "how much dick do you suck" "are you a faggot" or they repeat what I say in a really gay sounding voice..or something else.

    It's really ruined overwatch for me, I won't lie. I only play with friends at all. And I report, but I doubt anything happens.
    And would you say any of theses things are offensive if you were using them in a joking way with freinds as many gay people do? A word on its own has no power and means nothing it's the context that it is used that matters.
    Last edited by Daemos daemonium; 2017-09-09 at 07:33 AM.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Vynestra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heartbreak City
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    I tend to use faggot as an insult linked to nothing I don't use it as synonyms to any thing just like the way it sounds I do similar with other words ilike the sound of Comply misusing them with no content or real meaning. That is why context is important I even tend to use gay as synonyms with happy as I often say let's have a gay old time when playing with freinds as the word was originally intended to be used.

    - - - Updated - - -



    And would you say any of theses things are offensive if you were using them in a joking way with freinds and many gay people do? A word on its own has no power and means nothing it's the context that it is used that matters.
    If it's a friend no - but they aren't trying to be malicious. It doesn't bother me if someone calls something gay, but when you ask me (which people have) "Do you like dick in your butt?" in an extremely condescending way, you're supposed to give it no meaning? It's easier said than done.

    How about, don't be an asshole in the first place? Why is it up to my reaction, let's be a proactive society and stop hating each other, rather than having to react to homophobes. The problem isn't my reaction, the problem is the fact they're homophobic to begin with. So don't make this about us being the problem, make it about the people who are causing the issues.
    "The future belongs to those that have the vision to see it"

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Get a thicker skin.

    thats like telling someone who is depressed to "stop being depressed"

    I'm really refraining from calling you names because I don't want to waste an infraction on someone like you, but that's just a really insensitive comment, and you wouldn't understand unless you were in the shoes of the person who is being harassed because they're gay, when they're just trying to play a game.

    Did you ever think that people play games to escape the reality of homophobic people? That's what got me into gaming, being able to escape the homophobic people in high school when I was still in the closet and I got made fun of for sounding gay, I wanted to escape that, so to have to log on to an escape and be met with that, it's not "get a thicker skin", it's called get rid of the people who are being insensitive as fuck and driving people to kill themselves.

    Your attitude is part of the problem.
    I agree with the person you trying to shut down, it's not the worlds problem to deal with your insecurities, I get it, you had a hard life, the majority of people have had a hard life, if you want to escape from people being an asshole play a single player game.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Vynestra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heartbreak City
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    I agree with the person you trying to shut down, it's not the worlds problem to deal with your insecurities, I get it, you had a hard life, the majority of people have had a hard life, if you want to escape from people being an asshole play a single player game.
    No, you are wrong. It's not about my reaction, my reaction isn't the problem, the problem is the people being homophobes, I do not care what you say, you are wrong.

    The problem is and always will stem from people with hate in their heart for someone based on any factor of their personality or skin color.

    This isn't an opinion, this is a fact. They cause the problem by starting it.


    I should not have to pick and choose my games because other people are assholes.
    "The future belongs to those that have the vision to see it"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •