Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If it's a friend no - but they aren't trying to be malicious. It doesn't bother me if someone calls something gay, but when you ask me (which people have) "Do you like dick in your butt?" in an extremely condescending way, you're supposed to give it no meaning? It's easier said than done.

    How about, don't be an asshole in the first place? Why is it up to my reaction, let's be a proactive society and stop hating each other, rather than having to react to homophobes. The problem isn't my reaction, the problem is the fact they're homophobic to begin with. So don't make this about us being the problem, make it about the people who are causing the issues.
    I don't think your understanding my point, if some one you generally don't know is asking do you like dick in a negative manor then yes there the problem not you. but that how ever does not mean The question in general is neggitive in a different context. It's like the word nigger a lot of people think it's a negative no matter what but in reality it's only a negative in a certain context and people who are using it in such a context are the problem not the word it self.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer Vynestra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Heartbreak City
    Posts
    3,598
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    I don't think your understanding my point, if some one you generally don't know is asking do you like dick in a negative manor then yes there the problem not you. but that how ever does not mean The question in general is neggitive in a different context. It's like the word nigger a lot of people think it's a negative no matter what but in reality it's only a negative in a certain context and people who are using it in such a context are the problem not the word it self.
    If someone just calls something gay - I won't get upset. If they start asking if I like dick or not in a negative manor like they have and in other ways, that is what im referencing as the problem, when it's used in a negative context.
    "The future belongs to those that have the vision to see it"

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If someone just calls something gay - I won't get upset. If they start asking if I like dick or not in a negative manor like they have and in other ways, that is what im referencing as the problem, when it's used in a negative context.
    I can agree with that even if I've never been upset about similar things I could see how some could be.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    No, you are wrong. It's not about my reaction, my reaction isn't the problem, the problem is the people being homophobes, I do not care what you say, you are wrong.

    The problem is and always will stem from people with hate in their heart for someone based on any factor of their personality or skin color.

    This isn't an opinion, this is a fact. They cause the problem by starting it.


    I should not have to pick and choose my games because other people are assholes.
    No I am not wrong, there are people who will always be assholes, regardless of what you want they are always going to be assholes, assholes are fundamental to the world surviving because they give non-assholes perspective on life, how has no one taught you this yet?

    I've been called gay in many games before from being bad to saying something in a camp voice, do you want to know what I say when some one asks me "how much dick do you suck" / "are you a faggot"?...... Loads but, whats your point? / yea, whats your point?, doesn't take long for them to quieten down.

    No one should HAVE to deal with shit for being gay, but you will always have assholes that will bring it because they think it's funny.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If someone just calls something gay - I won't get upset. If they start asking if I like dick or not in a negative manor like they have and in other ways, that is what im referencing as the problem, when it's used in a negative context.
    People already responded and i will add to it.

    The internet doesnt care about your personal problems or your life.

    There are always people that will say something more to trigger you, its how the internet works.

    The only response to that is "Get a thicker skin", simple as that.

    There isnt anything you can do about it.

    No one knows you, no one cares how you will react to words on a headset, or pixels on a screen, and at the same time when you respond like you do, you are showing weakness and only pushing them to do more.

    Most of the comments are for that reason, to get a reaction out of you, learn to be passive.

    So yes, Get a thicker skin, its the internet.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

    Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    On 4chan everyone calls eachother and themselves faggots. If you have been on 4chan a long time you are an oldfag, if you are new you are a newfag. It's a sign of brotherhood, not a sign of fear of gay people.

  7. #27
    I am Murloc! Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    5,537
    Some staggering levels of ignorance in this topic.

    "I shuld b able 2 say wut i want grow thicker skin"

    I have a better idea... grow the fuck up. When your response to losing at a video game is calling someone a faggot/cocksucker/whatever, you are the problem. Not the person who is offended/wants you banned. Might as well say nazis aren't the problem, people who don't like nazis are.
    I'm not a defender of Blizzard, I'm an opponent of stupid.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Some staggering levels of ignorance in this topic.

    "I shuld b able 2 say wut i want grow thicker skin"

    I have a better idea... grow the fuck up. When your response to losing at a video game is calling someone a faggot/cocksucker/whatever, you are the problem. Not the person who is offended/wants you banned. Might as well say nazis aren't the problem, people who don't like nazis are.
    While in a way I do agree with you the fact remains that a lot of the nasty people refuse to change. So it does help to at least grow a thicker skin. This is clearly not the best solution but if you don't want to be mad/depressed all the time over what is said it is about the only thing you can do other than quitting the game.
    It is ignorance to think everyone will just start being nice instead.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What's the point of having a report system then?
    I report homophobic comments too, but the point of the report system is to make the game have a better atmosphere and your report alone doesn't kick them out of the game. It takes a lot of reports but you can be assured that if you don't like something then someone else out there doesn't like it as well and they will report it. You just have unreal expectations of immediate punishment just because you reported.

    Some people don't even know they are being homophobic, usually young people who say stuff like, "That's gay." to say "Thats bad, or sucks".

    A lot of people also don't understand that nobody wants to hear them say fuck every three words in a sentence like, "I was fuckin walking down this fuckin street and this fucking guy walks up and fuckin starts talking to me like I fuckin care whats fuckin bothering him." People between the age of 14-24 think that saying fuckin all the time makes what they are saying more important, they want to be regarded as adult and not a child. The problem is that anyone over the age of 24 thinks they are an idiot for not being able to speak in a cohesive sentence and the word fucking looses all meaning, it just become mindless filler. These people get reported for bad language and get punished and don't understand why they got punished because they don't even think about it.

    However people need to remember that they are in mixed company, when in mixed company one should behave themselves in a way that doesn't cause them negative consequences. If I was in a room with my personal friends I would swear all I want to and it would be fine but if I was at a dinner surrounded by strangers I wouldn't be saying fuckin all the time. On the internet people forget they are in a room full of billions of mixed company strangers.

    Report anything you don't like, people need to start figuring out they are amongst a jury of their mix company peers and not hanging out with just their buddies.

    I was once in a mmo guild and a new class was released and when I got the class armor I said, "These clothes are very gay." and the gay members got mad at me. I explained to them, "I'm not saying they make me look bad, or sucky. I am saying that if you saw me wearing this armor in a club you would say, "Oh yeah, he's gay... very gay, flaming gay." and then I showed them the armor and they agreed with me that it indeed looked very flaming. I've got a gay kid and I volunteer and donate to gay halfway houses for gay kids who have no homes due to homophobic parents and I won't put up with homophobia in real life and I won't put up with it in the game that my kid and I play together.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-09-09 at 08:42 AM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

  10. #30
    Pandaren Monk Advent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Other Side.
    Posts
    1,807
    Just gonna drop this right here.

    "Wear it like armor."

    I'm 29 years old. I've never had a girlfriend and I've never had sex, so I am still a virgin. People made fun of me for it for years. When I heard the "meme" that when you turn 30 as a virgin you become a Wizard, I used that to turn my virginity into a figurative suit of armor. The word, and any sexual ambiguity that may arise at my lack of drive to pursue women has lost all of its edge. This is what people mean when they say "Grow thicker skin". Like was said before and I'll paraphrase, "It's not the world's problem to tiptoe around your insecurities. We all have insecurities, and there will always be people who will use it to put you down. You have to be stronger than them to survive.

    You can't just expect "The mean people" to go away when they hurt your feelings. That's not how the world works.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    On 4chan everyone calls eachother and themselves faggots. If you have been on 4chan a long time you are an oldfag, if you are new you are a newfag. It's a sign of brotherhood, not a sign of fear of gay people.
    I understand some people use the word in a more comedic fashion. In my comment I said it is homophobic if you use the word as an "insult" which is a majority of the cases. I know there are sometimes exceptions when dealing with these things (ex:rappers using the "N" word in a song). These exception are just rare.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Yarma

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    No, you are wrong. It's not about my reaction, my reaction isn't the problem, the problem is the people being homophobes, I do not care what you say, you are wrong.
    For them, its about your reaction. And to be honest. With you creating this thread they are winning. And you give them audience.

    The right way to deal with them is, just quietly report them. Dont even tell them you reported them.
    Click on them, use the Report tool, they are automaticly on Ignore for you.

    You dont "see" the actions, because one doesnt get banned if one insults someone, and you rarely even see the same player twice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Some staggering levels of ignorance in this topic.

    "I shuld b able 2 say wut i want grow thicker skin"

    I have a better idea... grow the fuck up. When your response to losing at a video game is calling someone a faggot/cocksucker/whatever, you are the problem. Not the person who is offended/wants you banned. Might as well say nazis aren't the problem, people who don't like nazis are.
    This goes both ways.
    People need to grow up when dealing with little shits. You are on the Internet, for all you know the other is a little kid who can barely read and write.
    Report them through the proper channels and move on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Like was said before and I'll paraphrase, "It's not the world's problem to tiptoe around your insecurities. We all have insecurities, and there will always be people who will use it to put you down.
    Agreed. Doesnt make it right to Insult people though.

    And I´m honest here.
    I dont treat homophobic insults any different than any other Insult. If someone wants to insult you, he does it however he can.
    I dunno why any people should be treated any different.

    People get insulted because they are, fat, black, white, yellow, gay, notgay, have a funny nose, wear glasses and so on. Its all the same despicable behaviour.
    The thing you can do is: Report them if theres a Proper channel (Game/Work), and move on.

    Running around with Pitchforks and trying to get them burned at the marketplace doesnt make you right, and even lessens your morale high ground.

  13. #33
    Some of you people new to online gaming? Stop being such pussies. These people will always be here. If they get triggered because you're better than them, then just be sarcastic to them and they get even more mad. If they're being an asshole to you just for the sake of it, then ignore them and stop feeding them.

  14. #34
    Epic! Tart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunderland, England.
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    I see homophobia as people deliberately targeting homosexuals and not people calling randoms 'puffs and cock suckers'. Maybe im jumping the gun here but i think some people are a little bit petty and precious about people who have no idea who they are.

    Fair enough if you're known homosexual to the people you're playing against, then thats just hate and should be dealt with. But as above its just some kids getting a reaction with childish school ground name calling, i suggest getting thicker skin and not letting a bunch of strangers get to you.

  15. #35
    Quiet often when someone calls me a faggot, I just go "Well, if you ask nicely we could kiss" 9/10 times they have no idea how to respond to that and just shut up. for those who continue, I just make them more uncomfortable as I make it obvious insults don't work.

    Also, to the people who say "Growing a thicker skin is the same as saying stop being depressed" No... not it is not, unless you're implying that you being unable to cope with insults is because you have issues with brain chemistry which a lot of depression IS. Hence why anti-depressants are a thing.

  16. #36
    Valid reason to find another game if you find nothing is changing. People love to bash those they consider beneath them and inferior. Mostly because of their own insecurities.
    If you know the candle is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    If everyone got banned for a homophobic comment, there would be exactly 3 people left playing Overwatch.

    This is a competitive PvP game, shit talking is to be expected. I say it all the time and never got so much as a warning.
    I'd rather play with only me and my two friends than having people drop homophobic comments every goddamn game
    Homophobia isn't shit talking, this is like telling someone being bullied that they should just "suck it up". Dude stop.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    Quiet often when someone calls me a faggot, I just go "Well, if you ask nicely we could kiss" 9/10 times they have no idea how to respond to that and just shut up. for those who continue, I just make them more uncomfortable as I make it obvious insults don't work.

    Also, to the people who say "Growing a thicker skin is the same as saying stop being depressed" No... not it is not, unless you're implying that you being unable to cope with insults is because you have issues with brain chemistry which a lot of depression IS. Hence why anti-depressants are a thing.
    This is a very ignorant comment. It's not about growing a thicker skin, that won't help. I've grown thicker skin, every goddamn queer player in overwatch/wow or any other game has, because we were forced to. It doesn't matter how much you try to not let it get to you, having people unfriend you, block you or hate on you hurts.

    And honestly I do think there's a comparison to be made between "Grow a thicker skin" and "Stop being depressed", because both are things we are not in power to do. I can grow thicker skin, but that won't stop people from being homophobes and it will still hurt when they say these things. And bro, anti-depressants aren't a magic remedy or a cure, they're a push in the right direction but there's no guarantee that they'll even work.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Valid reason to find another game if you find nothing is changing. People love to bash those they consider beneath them and inferior. Mostly because of their own insecurities.
    But every game is like this? Every single ONE. I've encountered homophobia in every game, in some more than others but it's always been there. It's not a valid reason for us to switch games, it's a valid reason for Blizzard to actually do something about it.

  18. #38
    Bloodsail Admiral glowzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bucket of sponges
    Posts
    1,066
    It's kind of like this:


  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Electraheart View Post
    But every game is like this? Every single ONE. I've encountered homophobia in every game, in some more than others but it's always been there. It's not a valid reason for us to switch games, it's a valid reason for Blizzard to actually do something about it.
    Or maybe it's a valid reason for you to stop caring so much about what some random asshole on the internet has to say.

  20. #40
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Yes it is. I bet 99% of the people who call others "faggots" or "dick suckers" etc are not themselves homophobic. They're just 14 year olds trying to get a reaction from other players.
    If they weren't, they'd have more respect than to use those words.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •