Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
LastLast
  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What's the point of having a report system then?
    Quit being a faggot and ignore it, really.

    Infracted - Flaming
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-09-15 at 06:01 AM.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    People don't log in to throw "homophobic" comments around randomly, the root of the problem is far deeper. What makes these people say that? It's not a hate for the LGBT community. It's because people in that game seriously play like giant pussies and cowards. And the go-to words of our generation happen to be homophobic slurs.

    If the game promoted respectable and skillful play over stupid fucking shit like turrets POTG and Winston zero accuracy automatic free dmg shit (put Symmetra, Soldier's ult, Dva as a whole and Reinhardt beyond screenwide assassination in the same basket) people wouldn't be so triggered.
    BTW I'm absolutely not talking about balance or what's overpowered and underpowered, these are just mechanics that should not exist in a competitive FPS game.

    Every single hero needs to have the same difficulty and they should all require the player to aim in order to deal dmg. The moment you give one hero something that requires less talent than another for the same (or most of the time MORE) results, someone will be victim of this lack of balance, someone who would otherwise probably win by skill instead of getting rock/paper/scissor'ed on the losing side of bad game design.

    The game literally promotes shitty playstyle and punished people who man up, it's wrong as fuck. Fix the game, it will fix most of the toxicity problem.

    EXACT SAME situation in all MOBAs cuz none of them are anywhere close to balanced and also promote cowardly playstyle over manning up.
    You don't see this high level of toxic behavior in games like Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Battlefield, most fighting games, etc. (sure there's some, but it's nowhere near as bad)

    Toxic players are always toxic for a reason, sure they could tone it down, but they don't go off like that out of nowhere. Bad games bring bad community, simple as that.

    EDIT, PS. You can reread my post and everywhere you see something that looks negative like "cowardly playstyle" and replace it by "f*gg*t playstyle". It wont change the meaning of what I say in the slightest, it will look homophobic becases of the word used even if it's taken entirely out of context.
    In this video Bill Burr explains pretty well why homophobic slurs are used so often and why we shouldn't get overly offended by that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3O7b6lqo-I
    People just take things out of context cuz they WANT to be offended, they are looking for reasons to cry.
    Last edited by Swalload; 2017-09-14 at 05:30 PM.

  3. #123
    I don't get how some people seem to think that it's nigh impossible to play competitive games without spewing insults. Like it's something that everyone does, not just arseholes, and that it's just peachy. Smells like bullshit excuse to not seem like one. It might be fine among our friends, but it doesn't work like that with most strangers. I don't do it, nobody I know does it, and in fact the majority of the randoms I play with/against don't do it. While the ones who do are loud and everywhere, it's still only one to few people per match out of twelve, and they're not in every match, which makes them definite minority, not majority. So no, it's not the common norm among everyone nor should it be, and an arsehole is still an arsehole. (Unless your experience is drastically different in that regard, but I kinda doubt that. Assuming you're not the inciter yourself, of course, because then it'd be obvious how you see it all the time.)

    Naturally everyone gets tilted sometimes, but you can easily keep it to yourself or between your friends instead of throwing your shit on strangers, it's not that hard. Not to mention if you happen to steamroll (or just get a hard win), there's really no reason to try to put the enemy team down for it other than to be a little dickhead. You already won, just be happy with that.

    Peace out.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I never attended Berkley. It doesn't take a college degree to understand how offensive the use of a slur can be. Its in blizzard's best interest to remove toxicity like that from the community.
    Stupid is offensive to stupid people. You are on the wrong side of history if you believe it's okay to use that word. /S
    Don't contradict yourself.

  5. #125
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.
    You're part of this new generation of people that can't differentiate between the two. This new implied sensitivity to everything is just exhausting for all parties involved. News Flash : Most people are not hateful homophobes. But there are words that have similar meaning to the derogatory definition that have been used for many generations. It's not going to change overnight, this month or this year. That doesn't mean people are hateful.

    https://www.bu.edu/today/2014/when-w...ist-or-sexist/

    ^ This article is a perfect example of people implying hatred in words where hatred didn't exist.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  6. #126
    Looking at the closed thread on the front page, seems like they are doing something about it ahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  7. #127
    Please forgive my language, it's just used to illustrate a point.

    Too be honest, I think that 99% of all people who use words as "faggot" or "gay" or similar to insult someone, does not mean it in any homofobic way.

    They are just words meant to insult and cause harm cause the guy saying them is pissed.

    There is an excellent South Park episode, called "The F word" that depict this perfectly. In that episode, inconsiderate Harley Davidson riders are the new definition of a fag and not a homosexual. The same thing kind of applies in video game insulting.

    When a guy say "you f*ing fag" he is really saying "you f*ing idiot" and not "you f*ing homosexual". The word doesn't mean what it has mean before and homosexual people are not a target of hate as much as you might think.


    Still, if anyone take offense from this OR from anything else people say, whether its homofobic, racist etc, ask yourself, do you really care what some guy on the internet say about you? Yes, it's a problem, but not that big a problem. Like who cares what some guy on the internet say. Just ignore it, very simple.

  8. #128
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Please forgive my language, it's just used to illustrate a point.

    Too be honest, I think that 99% of all people who use words as "faggot" or "gay" or similar to insult someone, does not mean it in any homofobic way.

    They are just words meant to insult and cause harm cause the guy saying them is pissed.

    There is an excellent South Park episode, called "The F word" that depict this perfectly. In that episode, inconsiderate Harley Davidson riders are the new definition of a fag and not a homosexual. The same thing kind of applies in video game insulting.

    When a guy say "you f*ing fag" he is really saying "you f*ing idiot" and not "you f*ing homosexual". The word doesn't mean what it has mean before and homosexual people are not a target of hate as much as you might think.


    Still, if anyone take offense from this OR from anything else people say, whether its homofobic, racist etc, ask yourself, do you really care what some guy on the internet say about you? Yes, it's a problem, but not that big a problem. Like who cares what some guy on the internet say. Just ignore it, very simple.
    Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.

  9. #129
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.
    They'll learn when they die or move on. Just like many of the racists in this world are slowly dying off the same thing happens to people who cling to old terms embedded in their upbringing. They aren't going to change for anyone. But at the same time the over sensitivity of individuals also needs to change otherwise the tension will continue to cause arguments like this. People are just itching to be offended these days.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    They'll learn when they die or move on. Just like many of the racists in this world are slowly dying off the same thing happens to people who cling to old terms embedded in their upbringing.
    Sorry had to point out this sounds like you think racism is genetic like some rare breed of human that is slowly dying off like the white rhino.

    Douchey behavior is from upbringing and that isnt going to change or disappear unless you start with yourself

    Or just heavily moderate life and freedom of speech and have safe spaces like were we are heading now.

  11. #131
    Legendary! Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Sorry had to point out this sounds like you think racism is genetic like some rare breed of human that is slowly dying off like the white rhino.

    Douchey behavior is from upbringing and that isnt going to change or disappear unless you start with yourself

    Or just heavily moderate life and freedom of speech and have safe spaces like were we are heading now.
    It's generational. It's taught. People aren't just racist or hateful by nature. The ideas are passed down from generation to generation but the hatred in some people is deep.

    I was quite intolerant of LGBT for quite some time as well because that's how I and most people were raised but have changed my views over the years. I had some poor experiences with African Americans when I was a young adult as well, death threats, crap like that and it shapes you and could be passed on to your children.

    But my views have changed over the last 20 years and my children can't even comprehend treating any sex or race differently. Not everyone is so easily changed so you must continue to give it time, working with them instead of condemning them. Unfortunately it was like a switch was flipped and the next day everyone was expected to speak perfectly.

    If we must try to rehabilitate criminals then I'm sure we can have tolerance as we try to change what people say as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected]'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    No, you are wrong. It's not about my reaction, my reaction isn't the problem, the problem is the people being homophobes, I do not care what you say, you are wrong.

    The problem is and always will stem from people with hate in their heart for someone based on any factor of their personality or skin color.

    This isn't an opinion, this is a fact. They cause the problem by starting it.


    I should not have to pick and choose my games because other people are assholes.
    Jesus.

    Perhaps "grow thicker skin" was the wrong choice of words by that poster.

    How about stop taking everything personally?

    I'm bisexual, leaning homoflexible (somewhere between there anyway). I've dealt with the shit from family, but I'm aware enough to know that some random calling me a faggot isn't telepathically sensing my gayness and trying to abuse me. To take it personally is to give that word more power than it deserves.

    That's the problem with your crowd. You take everything personally when you're on the fucking Internet. You are giving these words power when they'd have none if you were capable of wrapping your head around any of it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.
    Whoopie, good job on giving that word power. Just like Voldemort, I mean You-Know-Who because it's bad to say his name.
    Last edited by Forsworn Knight; 2017-10-06 at 08:25 AM.
    Are you so eager to get rekt? Look then upon the countless faces of your triggered.

    Rise up, Dank Meme Horde! Bring you memechief their heads.

  13. #133
    like what, calling someone 'gay'? or making fun of someone because they say they are 'gay'?

    People make disparaging comments all the time in OW....about race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc, etc. I think you just need to learn to develop a thick skin, ignore them, and move on. Trolls will troll.

  14. #134
    Not much can be done. Most people are not intending to be "homophobic" when they say comments.

    "gay" & "faggot" just means "stupid" or "idiot" in most cases when it comes to internet insults, and especially in overwatch. No one knows the sexuality of anyone they are playing unless they happen to be friends, which is not the case in 99.9999% of games.

  15. #135
    Not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole; however, just as some food for thought, I want everyone who uses phrases like "get a thicker skin," or "stop being so sensitive," etc, to go out to random locations in their village, town, city, wherever there are other people, and start telling people they've never met that they're "fags, queers, homos, ni**ers, etc," and then come back here and post how it went for you. Better yet, have a friend or family member film you doing this and post the video, because regardless of how it turns out, some entertainment will come from it.
    THeres a reason people are called keyboard warriors. Everyone here can figure out why.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    thats like telling someone who is depressed to "stop being depressed"
    Except that is literally what everyone says to depressed people, even though it is most usually a medical issue they cannot control.

    - - - Updated - - -

    A comedian once made a point that kind of stuck with me, an African-American comedian which I mention only because of the context. He said that the N word would never go away because people give it power and it is too much fun to say. The only way to take the power away from the words is to not let them bother you. I think the issue that comes about, especially people who report over these things is that they hold themselves in such high regard that they want to control the world of others with what offends them. However, the world is not tailored to you or I, and it never will be. Being further offended because the devs didn't immediately bend to your will is both selfish and arrogant in a way, how dare they not drop everything to immediately change the world to fit your comfort level, right? The truth is you're offended because you WANT to be offended, if it wasn't this word it would most likely be something else, this shade of pink is not pink enough, etc...

    I understand that we live in a world where everyone wants to be accepted for who we are and not belittled, but in a flip of the coin so do the people using the word, which I personally don't, simply playing devil's advocate. However, the only reason people use the word is because they know it offends people, and thus will continue to use it; if you want it to change, take the power away from the word, plain and simple. Hell the word USED to mean a bundle of sticks, if you imagine it still does then it won't be offensive.

  17. #137
    You can find sadly a lot of homophobic "jokes" from players, even if you report... Still nothing. Sad.

  18. #138
    People making homophobic comments is rude, however, faggot is our word, humanity's. It's a quick, funny sounding word that makes a good insult no matter it's current "meaning". Old lady in 1700 almost run over by a carriage, she yelled "faggot"! 3 cavemen sitting around a fire eating, another caveman comes up and takes the food and leaves, "ook, ugh, oog, faggot"!.
    How about not letting some ignorant, insecure homophobes take our species' favorite insult since like day one?

  19. #139
    Legendary! Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6,850
    i used to get silenced sometimes and now i just don't take comp seriously anymore because of it. because let's be real lol silencing players only hurts teams they'd actually want to work with.

    they should just make team voice/chat team moderated on a match to match basis.

    I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to.

  20. #140
    I guess for every 1 person that gets offended by those types of insults there are 20 that don't care, meaning punishments that generally require a few reports to trigger generally take a longer time to take effect.

    Policing of Words that weren't seen as "terrible" to say for years up until fairly recently is always going to be harder since most people just don't care and just move on with their lives instead of getting themselves in a tiffy about words.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •