Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Holy shit, some of you people really need to get your special hats off. This is like one of those "internet bullied my kid" stories. If you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen or in this case the game/internet.

The internet has been the last bastion of true freedom of expression, but has its drawbacks with people feeling free to say whatever they wish. So instead of complaining about them doing so, think about why they are doing it?

Either they are lashing out for no reason in which case they are just idiots and why are you wasting your time paying attention to them?

Or you did something that triggered their behavior, in which case you are butthurt that you got called out and decide to call the authorities to protect your fragile feelings instead of just sucking it up and getting better at the game.

a thread full of homophobic slurs with users saying "but i am not using it in a homophobic way" is really allowed to go on for three pages? good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    The system is automatic. They don't actually check anything unless you try to appeal a ban and even then, you're lucky if they actually check it.

why dont you just brush it off like 95% of the normal well adjusted people do

or go find a dark empty room with no access to the outside world to spend your time in, because god help anyone if you overhear them saying something you find offensive

Grow up, seriously. I bet 99% of the "homophobic" comments have no meaning or bad intentions behind them.

I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    I don't get it it either, why would so many have ill feeling towards gay ppl if it supposed to be ok?

Deleted
    i cant believe that people really think people calling others gay or faggots in the heat of battle or just to piss them off, is homophobic. you arent homophobic because youre using words that may or may not hurt people that are actually gay.

youre either homophobic or not, it doesnt have anything to do with stupid words. those who think that, are just seeking attention while ignoring the real problem. look at russia or other homophobic countries, where you get beaten to death for beeing gay, THAT is homophobic, not some young human saying faggot to a fellow or not so fellow gamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    very rarely do blizz care about swearing because there's a mature language filter
    Got a 24 hour forum ban for telling someone to fuck off, because they felt Widow was annoying to play against. I added that Tracer and Genji should be top of the list if that reasoning had any merit.

The way I see it is a simple matter of respect, you don't use the 'N' word, because it is always intended to be racist, using it is racist, the whole existence and purpose of the word is to be racist. Same for Faggot, and a few other derogatory words. By using them, you're not respecting that they are what they are and that is in itself bigoted.

There's a litany of words you can pick from and use if you're frustrated and insult someone, there's no excuse whatsoever to pick those ones and think it's okay to do so, because those words exist to belittle and express the inferiority you feel for that group and being a part of it.

Words mean things, they are powerful.

Deleted
    Depending on what the comments were, yes. Banter and jokes, I highly doubt it...

Homophobic comments on Overwatch? WOW.....HOW HARSH!

Not like those comments are used in every other game ever, right?

Oh wait...

Deleted
    Seems like my brother who is gay is homophobic because he calls people in online games faggots. Well shit...I'll tell him right away, he didnt even know it ! You aren't homophobic if you call people faggots just to insult them wtf...

10+ Year Old Account
    Words only have power over weak people
    Weak people are still people. I'm sure there's a ton of situations you'll be the 'weak person'.

very rarely do blizz care about swearing because there's a mature language filter
    Hahaha, I was banned from the forum for saying what the fuck is this shit, so yeah, they do care.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-09 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Just gonna drop this right here.

"Wear it like armor."

I'm 29 years old. I've never had a girlfriend and I've never had sex, so I am still a virgin. People made fun of me for it for years. When I heard the "meme" that when you turn 30 as a virgin you become a Wizard, I used that to turn my virginity into a figurative suit of armor. The word, and any sexual ambiguity that may arise at my lack of drive to pursue women has lost all of its edge. This is what people mean when they say "Grow thicker skin". Like was said before and I'll paraphrase, "It's not the world's problem to tiptoe around your insecurities. We all have insecurities, and there will always be people who will use it to put you down. You have to be stronger than them to survive.

You can't just expect "The mean people" to go away when they hurt your feelings. That's not how the world works.
    I hope you have prepared for your 30th birthday with a wizard hat and robe!
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Honestly, I miss the word faggot. It has such a satisfying sound as it cracks at the 'ot'. Can we agree to take it back? When I used it before I never once thought that the perpetrator who incited my vulgarity was a man who just enjoys the warm embrace of another man and a good ol tug job. Like to taste of that there fellow? Fine by me.

Can we agree to use it for only these types of people?

Remember the one thread a while back with a bodybuilder who dyed his hair gray because he liked posting instagram pics and pretending to be older? Faggot!

Recall the guy with the fat girlfriend that made the huge post about how he loved her no matter her shape, was found to make black jokes and said "We were young that was before our social media CAREER"? Faggot!

Is that okay? I would really like to change the meaning of the word to these types and not be thought that I hate some gays.

Deleted
    ok... they say something u dont like

Freedom of Speech ?????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Got a 24 hour forum ban for telling someone to fuck off, because they felt Widow was annoying to play against. I added that Tracer and Genji should be top of the list if that reasoning had any merit.

The way I see it is a simple matter of respect, you don't use the 'N' word, because it is always intended to be racist, using it is racist, the whole existence and purpose of the word is to be racist. Same for Faggot, and a few other derogatory words. By using them, you're not respecting that they are what they are and that is in itself bigoted.

There's a litany of words you can pick from and use if you're frustrated and insult someone, there's no excuse whatsoever to pick those ones and think it's okay to do so, because those words exist to belittle and express the inferiority you feel for that group and being a part of it.

Words mean things, they are powerful.
    Uh the bad N Word. Its only Racist when non Black say Nigger huh ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post

Freedom of Speech ?????
    People love to cry this, even when they're demanding restrictions of others' fundamental freedoms.

If everyone who said something offensive got banned for the game then there there would be no players, i mean when did everyone start turning into ten year old girls who cant take a abit of banter while playing a PvP game where people are going to rage now and then.

If a few words from a random person online hurt you that much then theres a more serious issue than the random guy raging at you or others now and then.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Tracer was made a lesbian because she was low hanging fruit that would give them the least backlash from people? Nothing more than a publicity stunt, so they probably don't care much if people are making comments as long as they weren't extremely vulgar?

They may try to look progressive, but in the end it's easier to overlook or flat out ignore it because these kiddies find it funny to use homophobic slurs as insults.

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post

Freedom of Speech ?????

- - - Updated - - -

Uh the bad N Word. Its only Racist when non Black say Nigger huh ?
    Do you actually know what "freedom of speech" means?