Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    I'm not homophobic at all. I want gay people to have 100% equal rights of straight couples. I also grew up in Cali where a lot of people use faggot as a word like "stupid". I would LOVE it if the word faggot had nothing to do with gay.

If the word shit all of a sudden because a gay slur, I would still use it. If the word stupid became a gay slur, I'd still use it.

The creepy house from the opening of classic Scooby Doo
    You know, Louis CK has a beautiful sketch that shows that faggot isn't really a synonym for being gay.

I take no responsibility for his words however.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    Unless you lived under a stone and not completly lost yourself in games, or a lost cause in social life, you should know there is difference between slang and being homophobic.
    Last edited by Strifeload; 2017-09-12 at 05:46 PM.

once i called a person '' cheap b.tch '' from whisper in wow like 7 or 8 years ago and then got banned from the game for 3 days. ( for the record , i was %437923487 right )

that '' more people has to report or nada '' is a myth and i can confirm it firsthand. they do get punished. i did.

You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    Do you attend Berkley? Are you one of those that need a safe space after someone shows up with ideas you don't like?

I can and have used faggot as an insult without being homphobic. The thin skinned children of this generation need to grow and spine and stop taking things like personal attacks.

Internet assholes are just going to use what they think is the most hurtful combination of words they can think of to call a person they're pissed off at without a thought of what said words might actually mean to the person they're referring to. Unless the person is stalking you and repeatedly harassing you I don't see it as a reportable offense. You just got your feelings hurt and want someone to pay for it.

And that mentality is what's destroying Twitter and making Youtube and Google questionable right now.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    I'm not homophobic at all. I want gay people to have 100% equal rights of straight couples. I also grew up in Cali where a lot of people use faggot as a word like "stupid". I would LOVE it if the word faggot had nothing to do with gay.

If the word shit all of a sudden because a gay slur, I would still use it. If the word stupid became a gay slur, I'd still use it.
    Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Do you attend Berkley? Are you one of those that need a safe space after someone shows up with ideas you don't like?

I can and have used faggot as an insult without being homphobic. The thin skinned children of this generation need to grow and spine and stop taking things like personal attacks.

Internet assholes are just going to use what they think is the most hurtful combination of words they can think of to call a person they're pissed off at without a thought of what said words might actually mean to the person they're referring to. Unless the person is stalking you and repeatedly harassing you I don't see it as a reportable offense. You just got your feelings hurt and want someone to pay for it.

And that mentality is what's destroying Twitter and making Youtube and Google questionable right now.
    I never attended Berkley. It doesn't take a college degree to understand how offensive the use of a slur can be. Its in blizzard's best interest to remove toxicity like that from the community.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Just gonna drop this right here.

"Wear it like armor."

I'm 29 years old. I've never had a girlfriend and I've never had sex, so I am still a virgin. People made fun of me for it for years. When I heard the "meme" that when you turn 30 as a virgin you become a Wizard, I used that to turn my virginity into a figurative suit of armor. The word, and any sexual ambiguity that may arise at my lack of drive to pursue women has lost all of its edge. This is what people mean when they say "Grow thicker skin". Like was said before and I'll paraphrase, "It's not the world's problem to tiptoe around your insecurities. We all have insecurities, and there will always be people who will use it to put you down. You have to be stronger than them to survive.

You can't just expect "The mean people" to go away when they hurt your feelings. That's not how the world works.
    Quoted for truth. I see a lot of special snowflakes and delicate flowers in this topic who apparently were never bullied at school or never received a mean nickname, and as a result they never learnt how to deal with people who are mean or just plain assholes. The Wizard guy gets it (love your avatar, btw), wear it like and armour, grow a thicker skin, grow a pair, and deal with it. No one's going to hold your hand when you're an adult and pat your head and say it's just mean people being mean. If you can't handle it, stop playing online games and go back to your safe space.

Guess what, my last name is such that it can be easily turned into a nickname, and the first time people started calling me by it, it hurt like hell. I felt humiliated, insulted, and hated because it was used spitefully. For a kid who's five years old that's a very traumatic experience. But then I realised that with a last name like mine it's not going to go away, so instead I just took it as mine. And guess what: it stopped being an insult.

No as long as there is profit to be made even if it backfires on them hard like it has in the past by encouraging toxic behavior.
    Can gods bleed? I mean to find out! MallSecurity MallTube

ive had a 24hour suspension for using the word faggot in response to some1 throwing 20 racial slurs per sentence at me...

Just use the word "stupid" and avoid getting caught up in the controversial aspects that accompany a word like "faggot." If you don't care about any of that, continue to use gay slurs and don't be surprised when homosexual people express their offense. Accept the social consequences and move on. Just understand that you are on the wrong side of history on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I never attended Berkley. It doesn't take a college degree to understand how offensive the use of a slur can be. Its in blizzard's best interest to remove toxicity like that from the community.
    It is as offensive as you want it to be. Anyone that plays MOBAs or MMOs has been called something at some point. Does the opinion of some random person who's ass you probably just kicked offend you that much? Now if they PERSIST, ie stalking, then yeah report their asses. But I'm sure most of them say it in the heat of the moment then feel guilty afterwards, but that's just my opinion.

And right now a college degree isn't worth jack shit when you see the kind of nonsense that goes on on college campuses nowadays. Assaulting people for wearing material indicating that they support Trump, disrupting people simply because they have a different opinion and my personal favourite, clamping down on Halloween because some costumes could deemed as inappropriate or "appropriating" someone else's culture...When you got shit like that coming out of YALE you know that they're been drinking some funky Kool-Aid.
    STRESS

I've reported like 7 people today for making homophobic comments, I've reported more than I can count in the past yet nothing seems to ever happen to them. Why are they not being removed from the game?
    Perhaps you want to familiarize yourself with Blizzard's policies on punishment... then you MIGHT be able to grasp what is happening.

First time offenders aren't ever likely to be removed from the game, nor are 2nd time ones. If that is what you are wanting or expecting, It isn't going to happen.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    It is as offensive as you want it to be. Anyone that plays MOBAs or MMOs has been called something at some point. Does the opinion of some random person who's ass you probably just kicked offend you that much? Now if they PERSIST, ie stalking, then yeah report their asses. But I'm sure most of them say it in the heat of the moment then feel guilty afterwards, but that's just my opinion.

And right now a college degree isn't worth jack shit when you see the kind of nonsense that goes on on college campuses nowadays. Assaulting people for wearing material indicating that they support Trump, disrupting people simply because they have a different opinion and my personal favourite, clamping down on Halloween because some costumes could deemed as inappropriate or "appropriating" someone else's culture...When you got shit like that coming out of YALE you know that they're been drinking some funky Kool-Aid.
    Slurs are considered worse than general insults. They have a long history of being used by a group of people to express hatred for another group and impose unjust attacks on them. No one here is saying: "stop all insults." People are saying discourage the use of slurs.

Just use a different less charged word in your flame war and move on. No reason to insult a group of people when you are arguing with a specific person.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -Yarma

Slurs are considered worse than general insults. They have a long history of being used by a group of people to express hatred for another group and impose unjust attacks on them. No one here is saying: "stop all insults." People are saying discourage the use of slurs.

Just use a different less charged word in your flame war and move on. No reason to insult a group of people when you are arguing with a specific person.
    Fair enough point as long as it applies to ALL groups...and not just select groups like how it appears to be. Also so long as no one tries to take offense FOR another person.
    STRESS

A bundle of sticks is homophobic???

Report them. The system will do its job and everything will be okay. In the meantime, maybe people getting asked if they like dick in their ass could stop being such overt flaming faggots? Like i get flamed for my voice because its super raspy and low pitched with a strong southern accent. Ya know what I do if i get tired of getting flamed for my voice? I enunciate like a motherfucker and try to curb the twang.

People are going to be assholes. Its the internet. Report, mute, play single player games, stop talking like the dick is actually in your ass at the moment, these are all reasonable solutions

Homophobic comments is not shit talking.
    always has been and always will be. you can't be competitive and be such a baby when it comes to trash talking

reporting nowadays is just a low effort/low IQ way to get back at people, it's exactly what people who report everyone pretend they're trying to get rid of, it's pathetic

you're being a baby
    Last edited by snitcher geralt; 2017-09-14 at 04:44 PM.

I think they do. You don't see much f*ggot or n*gger in chat so I assume people that use those words get banned quickly. It's probably almost an automatic ban if you use those words to insult people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If someone just calls something gay - I won't get upset. If they start asking if I like dick or not in a negative manor like they have and in other ways, that is what im referencing as the problem, when it's used in a negative context.
    How do you ask that in a positive/negative manor?

Which one of these is negative? And which is positive?

Do you like to take dick up your butt?

Do you like to take dick up your butt?

I mean, unless you are ashamed of what you are doing, I don't see how you can take that as a negative? Wouldn't you just shut them down by basically saying you are proud to be who you are? You could even say 'Damn right I do! And you wish you could have a piece of this!". This would shut most people up, only the most determined trolls would keep at it.

Also, FYI, most games/platforms have the ability to block voice chat of other people. If you don't want to hear them, block them.

Most people want the attention, to feed their victim complex. You see it all the time with people on social media crying about how mean people are, yet they are not blocking them. They like the 'pity party' they get for crying about the abuse they are getting.

What's the point of having a report system then?
    To eventually, in the long term, compile enough reports against someone that action can be taken if they severely breach the TOU. And also to keep people who apparently don't get enough of trying to exercise social control over other people they don't know at their colleges another outlet for their "super smart" tendencies.

The Lightbringer
    What exactly are they saying that offends you so? I don't think they are being homophobic, I think you are being logophobic.