Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.
    They'll learn when they die or move on. Just like many of the racists in this world are slowly dying off the same thing happens to people who cling to old terms embedded in their upbringing. They aren't going to change for anyone. But at the same time the over sensitivity of individuals also needs to change otherwise the tension will continue to cause arguments like this. People are just itching to be offended these days.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    They'll learn when they die or move on. Just like many of the racists in this world are slowly dying off the same thing happens to people who cling to old terms embedded in their upbringing.
    Sorry had to point out this sounds like you think racism is genetic like some rare breed of human that is slowly dying off like the white rhino.

Douchey behavior is from upbringing and that isnt going to change or disappear unless you start with yourself

Or just heavily moderate life and freedom of speech and have safe spaces like were we are heading now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Sorry had to point out this sounds like you think racism is genetic like some rare breed of human that is slowly dying off like the white rhino.

Douchey behavior is from upbringing and that isnt going to change or disappear unless you start with yourself

Or just heavily moderate life and freedom of speech and have safe spaces like were we are heading now.
    It's generational. It's taught. People aren't just racist or hateful by nature. The ideas are passed down from generation to generation but the hatred in some people is deep.

I was quite intolerant of LGBT for quite some time as well because that's how I and most people were raised but have changed my views over the years. I had some poor experiences with African Americans when I was a young adult as well, death threats, crap like that and it shapes you and could be passed on to your children.

But my views have changed over the last 20 years and my children can't even comprehend treating any sex or race differently. Not everyone is so easily changed so you must continue to give it time, working with them instead of condemning them. Unfortunately it was like a switch was flipped and the next day everyone was expected to speak perfectly.

If we must try to rehabilitate criminals then I'm sure we can have tolerance as we try to change what people say as well.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    No, you are wrong. It's not about my reaction, my reaction isn't the problem, the problem is the people being homophobes, I do not care what you say, you are wrong.

The problem is and always will stem from people with hate in their heart for someone based on any factor of their personality or skin color.

This isn't an opinion, this is a fact. They cause the problem by starting it.

I should not have to pick and choose my games because other people are assholes.
    Jesus.

Perhaps "grow thicker skin" was the wrong choice of words by that poster.

How about stop taking everything personally?

I'm bisexual, leaning homoflexible (somewhere between there anyway). I've dealt with the shit from family, but I'm aware enough to know that some random calling me a faggot isn't telepathically sensing my gayness and trying to abuse me. To take it personally is to give that word more power than it deserves.

That's the problem with your crowd. You take everything personally when you're on the fucking Internet. You are giving these words power when they'd have none if you were capable of wrapping your head around any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Then they need to learn to say “you fucking idiot” instead. Because using words that are homophobic will make them both look homophobic, and reinforces homophobes views that being homophobic is okay, and worse a ‘correct’ world view. You just need to take these words out of your lexicon, plenty of other derogatory terms have disappeared from everyday use for being racist, there’s no defensible position.
    Whoopie, good job on giving that word power. Just like Voldemort, I mean You-Know-Who because it's bad to say his name.
    Last edited by Wewlad; 2017-10-06 at 08:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    like what, calling someone 'gay'? or making fun of someone because they say they are 'gay'?

People make disparaging comments all the time in OW....about race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc, etc. I think you just need to learn to develop a thick skin, ignore them, and move on. Trolls will troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much can be done. Most people are not intending to be "homophobic" when they say comments.

"gay" & "faggot" just means "stupid" or "idiot" in most cases when it comes to internet insults, and especially in overwatch. No one knows the sexuality of anyone they are playing unless they happen to be friends, which is not the case in 99.9999% of games.

Not going to touch this with a 10 foot pole; however, just as some food for thought, I want everyone who uses phrases like "get a thicker skin," or "stop being so sensitive," etc, to go out to random locations in their village, town, city, wherever there are other people, and start telling people they've never met that they're "fags, queers, homos, ni**ers, etc," and then come back here and post how it went for you. Better yet, have a friend or family member film you doing this and post the video, because regardless of how it turns out, some entertainment will come from it.
    THeres a reason people are called keyboard warriors. Everyone here can figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    thats like telling someone who is depressed to "stop being depressed"
    Except that is literally what everyone says to depressed people, even though it is most usually a medical issue they cannot control.

- - - Updated - - -

A comedian once made a point that kind of stuck with me, an African-American comedian which I mention only because of the context. He said that the N word would never go away because people give it power and it is too much fun to say. The only way to take the power away from the words is to not let them bother you. I think the issue that comes about, especially people who report over these things is that they hold themselves in such high regard that they want to control the world of others with what offends them. However, the world is not tailored to you or I, and it never will be. Being further offended because the devs didn't immediately bend to your will is both selfish and arrogant in a way, how dare they not drop everything to immediately change the world to fit your comfort level, right? The truth is you're offended because you WANT to be offended, if it wasn't this word it would most likely be something else, this shade of pink is not pink enough, etc...

I understand that we live in a world where everyone wants to be accepted for who we are and not belittled, but in a flip of the coin so do the people using the word, which I personally don't, simply playing devil's advocate. However, the only reason people use the word is because they know it offends people, and thus will continue to use it; if you want it to change, take the power away from the word, plain and simple. Hell the word USED to mean a bundle of sticks, if you imagine it still does then it won't be offensive.

Deleted
    You can find sadly a lot of homophobic "jokes" from players, even if you report... Still nothing. Sad.

People making homophobic comments is rude, however, faggot is our word, humanity's. It's a quick, funny sounding word that makes a good insult no matter it's current "meaning". Old lady in 1700 almost run over by a carriage, she yelled "faggot"! 3 cavemen sitting around a fire eating, another caveman comes up and takes the food and leaves, "ook, ugh, oog, faggot"!.
    How about not letting some ignorant, insecure homophobes take our species' favorite insult since like day one?

10+ Year Old Account
    i used to get silenced sometimes and now i just don't take comp seriously anymore because of it. because let's be real lol silencing players only hurts teams they'd actually want to work with.

they should just make team voice/chat team moderated on a match to match basis.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess for every 1 person that gets offended by those types of insults there are 20 that don't care, meaning punishments that generally require a few reports to trigger generally take a longer time to take effect.

Policing of Words that weren't seen as "terrible" to say for years up until fairly recently is always going to be harder since most people just don't care and just move on with their lives instead of getting themselves in a tiffy about words.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience people generally only get silenced if they start saying shit that pisses off everyone in the match.

For example; one time my team gave up because a self proclaimed "booster" Genji was just raping them stupid and the winston on our team was too retarded to kill him. Don't ask me how that's possible, but it is. This "booster" was really not a much better player than me and I killed him a few times just to show them. The notion was completely ludicrous and had no merit lol. This guy was maybe high gold at best, but they just gave up anyway because they couldn't shoot him and kept dying to him and just sat in base trying not to be raped so I started calling them stupid useless pussies, cussing them out etc

few days later im silenced for 47 days lol. the report system, if you ask me, I believe is entirely automated. I have never seen someone complain they were silenced or suspended from the game or comp for throwing, but I have seen people say they have been silenced for picking widowmaker/hanzo, playing attack torb etc. So based on that information I find it hard to believe employees actually look over any number of reports, if at all.

But honestly, I think people should stop seeing the use of the word "faggot" "homo" etc. as an attack on gay people. People have been saying it since I was a kid. I still say it sometimes. I couldn't care less if you like it up the ass or not. Basically the same thing as calling someone a retard or a jackass. It don't really mean nothing lol they just mad/salty af and letting you know it
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-10-26 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    because they couldn't shoot him and kept dying to him and just sat in base trying not to be raped so I started calling them stupid useless pussies, cussing them out etc

few days later im silenced for 47 days lol.
    That's where you screwed up, and why you got the ban you deserve quite frankly.

Yeah its frustrating, but even so, doesn't give you a right to chew out your teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    If everyone got banned for a homophobic comment, there would be exactly 3 people left playing Overwatch.

This is a competitive PvP game, shit talking is to be expected. I say it all the time and never got so much as a warning.
    This is so wrong on so many levels. Insulting someone's sexuality is not shit talking. You're part of the problem in overwatch.

Do I approve of these kinds of insults? No, but I also don't really give a fuck, and I'm gay.
    I would only report someone if he trash talked way too much and put me and the entire team(in comp) in a bad mood when we're supposed to work together.
    A few "fucking gay!" or "faggot!" here and there I don't care about.

Used to care a lot, when I was younger. As I get older I get more confident in myself and if I felt like the world is falling apart everytime someone make a minor homophobic comment I wouldn't be able to function. Not giving a damn all the time is a nice feeling, and good for your... psyche(is that the word?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valdok View Post
    This is so wrong on so many levels. Insulting someone's sexuality is not shit talking. You're part of the problem in overwatch.
    And you're the sensitive snowflake that caused the middle to recoil right and vote for Trump. I'd tell you to pat yourself on the back, but you'll probably see that as me telling you to go hurt yourself and report me for rape.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    And you're the sensitive snowflake that caused the middle to recoil right and vote for Trump. I'd tell you to pat yourself on the back, but you'll probably see that as me telling you to go hurt yourself and report me for rape.
    Oh look, another fascist proclaiming false victimhood. Upset because you're not allowed to insult people and denigrate them for not being white, straight and male, because that impinges your rights somehow? Never mind anyone elses freedom of expression and right to life, all about your freedum uv speech, right?
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-10-30 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, another fascist proclaiming false victimhood. Upset because you're not allowed to insult people and denigrate them for not being white, straight and male, because that impinges your rights somehow? Never mind anyone elses freedom of expression and right to life, all about your freedum uv speech, right?
    LOL! You're a caricature of yourself. Thanks for the laugh.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    habitual offenders eventually get increasingly severe warnings, punishments and bans
    This is how it works and should work. If you want immediate action, find out who he is, and shun him as a homophobe on social media.