Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Cause you're not an inconsiderate ass hole? It's not hard to not offend people, and if you do it accidentally so long as you apologize most people wont bite your head off.
    I'm not sure what's more of an asshole move...

speaking the words you may or may not naturally use normally OR trying to get other people to tailor their vocab to your own modest sensibilities...

When it comes to a subject like personal attire, this idea gets tossed out so fast you'd think someone found a way to break the speed of light. But word usage? Oh we should make nice and not use terms some people may get offended by. Maybe it's time to bust out ye olde compendium of terms and call out such pusillanimous benighted individuals so that they might extend their anathema further beyond their current limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Definitely the former. Not saying slurs is like respecting other people 101. If you make excuses not to do that you're definitely an ass hole .
    That's your opinion. I take more offense in people determining my choice of word usage is something I need to reign in because of their sensibilities...
    We're already at the point where this:

... i mean it's an ok costume idea... but it was deemed offensive to people from south of the border

Now, you might say "refrain from using slurs" but remember what a slur is: "an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation." or to simplify things... it is the assumption that something is an insult. Now how the fuck do you want to refrain from someone else's interpretation of your own words? It's just another one of those words that's had its meaning muddied up cause people refuse to speak directly. (a fact that I personally take offense with but nevermind my beliefs on this matter cause "it's the current year" and we must tailor our verbage for those that never properly learned)

Being sensitive to words give those words the power you don't want them to have. Grow a back bone.

Idk, for me personally i'm for using [deemed as bad] words, however not in a demeaning way directed at an individual in a hateful way. Usually with friends, as when speaking to someone I don't know i'm unlikely to speak quite so casually with.

I come from New Zealand where words like cunt have lost a lot of meaning, or the punch where the word is elsewhere put up on some magical pedestal not to use, it's used very casually; i.e. "Good cunt" - which essentially just means Cheers mate. Other places use words similarly, the main one people would know would be the word nigger, used in slang e.g. "My nigger", to diminish it's former meaning, removing the punch from the word and wearing that shit like armor. On the flip side you have words that gained meaning overtime (gay, Dick, faggot and so on) changing from their original meaning.

In my own opinion it's people that give these types of words meaning and raising them to such a high pedestal to be taboo to speak, the words themselves are powerless. While there are other words which are also seen as offensive etc. Which are used more casually so the 'rules' surrounding them are contradicting to what's right and what's wrong.

But each to there own, I'm not going to tell people what you should or should not say.