Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    I'm not sure if you are serious or not, but how about some context?


    I've been playing this game since day one and I've never heard anyone just start talking down about particular people. Are you confusing people using words? like someone getting killed and saying "that is gay" or "that guy is a f-word"

    Cause that isn't homophobic, Which btw isnt' a real thing to begin with.

    - - - Updated - - -



    at some point people need to step away from the internet or just stop letting these things bother them. You play with 100's of people all week and out of them 1 says some nasty stuff.

    honestly that isn't even an issue.
    Yep, I completely agree. It's been a long time since someone's online slurs have done more than raise my eyebrows. This is the internet, some people are assholes, and when they insult others with slurs, it's just to get a rise out of them. I doubt very many of my buddy's "niggerfaggot" targets are black or gay (much less both at the same time), but from what I understand people get pretty butthurt when he calls them that. (As I said in my other post, I opt out of chat/voice entirely so I never see any of this stuff regardless.)

  2. #162
    its called growing a pair, and not let words over the internet affect you.
    This isn't the same company. They are not in touch with the playerbase, they are hellbent on profit, and yea companies deserve profit, but not at the cost of the health of the game, and they became their own worst enemy. WoW was special not because of vanilla, bc, or wrath. No nostalgia here. It was special because of Blizzards involvement with the community, which is all but lost now. They changed everything into the least possible communication with the community.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    You can't use "faggot" as an insult without being homophobic. Context might lessen the severity but it is still homophobic behavior.

    Here's an example of what I mean: "God dammit dude! You're such a jew!" This statement is antisemitic because it suggests that being Jewish is a bad thing. If you are using "faggot" as a synonym for "stupid" then you are being homophobic.
    By that logic someone that is, in fact, homosexual wouldn't get offended by being called a "Faggot" as that is what they actually are and they don't see it as an insult by an adjective that actually describes them, right? No, I can call something "Gay" and not be homophobic. I heavily advocate FOR Homosexual rights. It isn't an insult to me. I grew up with "Gay" being a term to mean bad or stupid. I don't actually connect it to Homosexuals in anyway because being Homosexual isn't a bad or stupid thing any more than me finding girls attractive as a guy. Gay originally meant Happy. Then it meant homosexual. To me it just means bad.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    By that logic someone that is, in fact, homosexual wouldn't get offended by being called a "Faggot" as that is what they actually are and they don't see it as an insult by an adjective that actually describes them, right? No, I can call something "Gay" and not be homophobic. I heavily advocate FOR Homosexual rights. It isn't an insult to me. I grew up with "Gay" being a term to mean bad or stupid. I don't actually connect it to Homosexuals in anyway because being Homosexual isn't a bad or stupid thing any more than me finding girls attractive as a guy. Gay originally meant Happy. Then it meant homosexual. To me it just means bad.
    Is it really that big a blow to your vocabulary to not use a couple of words out of basic respect?

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Is it really that big a blow to your vocabulary to not use a couple of words out of basic respect?
    The original meaning was "happy". That is the only meaning it has to my grandparents. To you the only meaning it has is to describe a homosexual. Wouldn't it be a blow to your vocabulary to use it to mean homosexual? No, that's how you grew up knowing the term. Would you say my grandparents are disrespectful to use the term gay to mean happy just because someone else is offended by it?

    Also apparently my vocabulary doesn't include the words "Stupid" or "bad" because reasons?

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Is it really that big a blow to your vocabulary to not use a couple of words out of basic respect?
    Apparently not as big a blow as someone taking offense of another's actions.

    edit:

    Why should someone restrain themselves because someone else is offended? Cause it seems these days it's expected that some people's offense should be expected but others are told they should take their offense and stuff it. The difference simply being who is getting offended and at what.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2017-11-02 at 06:12 AM.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    The original meaning was "happy". That is the only meaning it has to my grandparents. To you the only meaning it has is to describe a homosexual. Wouldn't it be a blow to your vocabulary to use it to mean homosexual? No, that's how you grew up knowing the term. Would you say my grandparents are disrespectful to use the term gay to mean happy just because someone else is offended by it?

    Also apparently my vocabulary doesn't include the words "Stupid" or "bad" because reasons?

    Are you your grandparents?

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Are you your grandparents?
    If I were. If to me the term meant happy. Would you still say it was a big blow to my vocabulary to use the term gay to mean happy?

  9. #169
    Did you add them on friends list and ensure they weren't punished/warned somehow?
    “Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” - Noam Chomsky

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Apparently not as big a blow as someone taking offense of another's actions.

    edit:

    Why should someone restrain themselves because someone else is offended? Cause it seems these days it's expected that some people's offense should be expected but others are told they should take their offense and stuff it. The difference simply being who is getting offended and at what.

    Cause you're not an inconsiderate ass hole? It's not hard to not offend people, and if you do it accidentally so long as you apologize most people wont bite your head off.

  11. #171
    I'm kinda in the middle here.

    I do believe that a lot people are easily offended, and that's their problem. The world is not a perfect place and probably never will be, deal with it.

    And while I think you have the right to say whatever you want, other people also have the right to be offended. It goes both ways.
    If that's the case, just take the punishment. Instead of bitching and calling people snowflakes.

    So own your actions, you faggot.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Cause you're not an inconsiderate ass hole? It's not hard to not offend people, and if you do it accidentally so long as you apologize most people wont bite your head off.
    I'm not sure what's more of an asshole move...

    speaking the words you may or may not naturally use normally OR trying to get other people to tailor their vocab to your own modest sensibilities...

    When it comes to a subject like personal attire, this idea gets tossed out so fast you'd think someone found a way to break the speed of light. But word usage? Oh we should make nice and not use terms some people may get offended by. Maybe it's time to bust out ye olde compendium of terms and call out such pusillanimous benighted individuals so that they might extend their anathema further beyond their current limits.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I'm not sure what's more of an asshole move...

    speaking the words you may or may not naturally use normally OR trying to get other people to tailor their vocab to your own modest sensibilities...

    When it comes to a subject like personal attire, this idea gets tossed out so fast you'd think someone found a way to break the speed of light. But word usage? Oh we should make nice and not use terms some people may get offended by. Maybe it's time to bust out ye olde compendium of terms and call out such pusillanimous benighted individuals so that they might extend their anathema further beyond their current limits.
    Definitely the former. Not saying slurs is like respecting other people 101. If you make excuses not to do that you're definitely an ass hole .

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Definitely the former. Not saying slurs is like respecting other people 101. If you make excuses not to do that you're definitely an ass hole .
    That's your opinion. I take more offense in people determining my choice of word usage is something I need to reign in because of their sensibilities...
    We're already at the point where this:

    ... i mean it's an ok costume idea... but it was deemed offensive to people from south of the border

    Now, you might say "refrain from using slurs" but remember what a slur is: "an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation." or to simplify things... it is the assumption that something is an insult. Now how the fuck do you want to refrain from someone else's interpretation of your own words? It's just another one of those words that's had its meaning muddied up cause people refuse to speak directly. (a fact that I personally take offense with but nevermind my beliefs on this matter cause "it's the current year" and we must tailor our verbage for those that never properly learned)

  15. #175
    Being sensitive to words give those words the power you don't want them to have. Grow a back bone.

  16. #176
    Idk, for me personally i'm for using [deemed as bad] words, however not in a demeaning way directed at an individual in a hateful way. Usually with friends, as when speaking to someone I don't know i'm unlikely to speak quite so casually with.

    I come from New Zealand where words like cunt have lost a lot of meaning, or the punch where the word is elsewhere put up on some magical pedestal not to use, it's used very casually; i.e. "Good cunt" - which essentially just means Cheers mate. Other places use words similarly, the main one people would know would be the word nigger, used in slang e.g. "My nigger", to diminish it's former meaning, removing the punch from the word and wearing that shit like armor. On the flip side you have words that gained meaning overtime (gay, Dick, faggot and so on) changing from their original meaning.

    In my own opinion it's people that give these types of words meaning and raising them to such a high pedestal to be taboo to speak, the words themselves are powerless. While there are other words which are also seen as offensive etc. Which are used more casually so the 'rules' surrounding them are contradicting to what's right and what's wrong.

    But each to there own, I'm not going to tell people what you should or should not say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •