The rise of AI is sparking an international arms race

Source: https://www.vox.com/world/2017/9/13/...telligence-war

Elon Musk thinks it’s the most likely cause of WWIII.

"Artificial intelligence is the future not only of Russia but of all of mankind ... Whoever becomes the leader in this sphere will become the ruler of the world."

Russian President Vladimir Putin made this statement to a group of students two weeks ago. Shortly thereafter, Tesla’s Elon Musk, who has worried publicly about the hazards of artificial intelligence (AI) for years now, posted an ominous tweet in response to Putin’s remarks.

“China, Russia, soon all countries w/ strong computer science,” he wrote. “Competition for AI superiority at national level most likely cause of WW3 in my opinion.”

It’s tempting to dismiss Musk’s tweet as alarmist, but is it? The comparative advantages that the first state to develop AI would have over others — militarily, economically, and technologically — are almost too vast to predict. So the stakes are as high as they get.

To dig a little deeper into Musk’s concerns, I reached out to Peter W. Singer, a strategist and senior fellow at New America. The author of Wired for War: The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century, Singer is a leading expert on 21st-century security issues and has even written a novel about what the next world war might look like.

I asked him if he thinks the race for AI superiority might lead to actual conflict. He’s more measured than Musk, but he concedes that the arms race is underway and the truth is that we simply don’t know what’s coming. “I think of AI technology as comparable to the printing press,” he told me. “It’s going to change the world, but we can’t possibly understand how and when.”

Our lightly edited conversation follows.

[...]
    An interesting conversation at the link... an "arms" race (I see it more like a space race) could be a good thing; it could speed up innovation in this field of computer science.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post

An interesting conversation at the link... an "arms" race (I see it more like a space race) could be a good thing; it could speed up innovation in this field of computer science.
    I agree, the ripple effects of this type of laser-type focus towards such a paradigm changing technology is bound to produce breakthroughs in areas and issues we have no idea could be affected.

It's the one thing that has the power to defeat an army without actually fighting that army in the field. So yeah, it's the next arms race.

The Unstoppable Force Mall Security's Avatar
    Yeah, sometimes I am questioning some of your threads and the ideas that are in them, and sometimes I don't, this is one of those that yeah, there is a lot of meat on this, and the evidence is pretty well understood and all around us.

I have no doubt while A.I in and of itself won't become self aware any time soon, I do believe they will be smart enough just to make this a very real threat. As to specifics like WW3 I think more along the lines of maybe WW4 or 5 perhaps.

That is if we make it that far and don't destroy the earth and all life on it for a while.
    Can gods bleed? I mean to find out! MallSecurity MallTube

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I am questioning some of your threads and the ideas that are in them, and sometimes I don't, this is one of those that yeah, there is a lot of meat on this, and the evidence is pretty well understood and all around us.

I have no doubt while A.I in and of itself won't become self aware any time soon, I do believe they will be smart enough just to make this a very real threat. As to specifics like WW3 I think more along the lines of maybe WW4 or 5 perhaps.

That is if we make it that far and don't destroy the earth and all life on it for a while.
    When I post (new) threads, I am usually emotionally disengaged (at a 0, equanimous, neither happy nor angry, etc), the threads are meant to cause debate, or bring up interesting points, or sometimes just to see what people think.

When I post in threads, usually its going to be tinged with an absurdist view because my view on life is mostly absurdist.

People, as much as I love you all, are just information wells for me.

It will also inhibit regulation and common standards though. Still without competition, the necessary budget (particularly for the massive hardware investments that will be required in creating AI (as in actually self-conscious AI that can autonomously develop itself) would never be allocated. I am just hoping there is at least some transparency in the inevitable subsidies.

So far we haven't found evidence of intelligent life on other planets.

One of the reasons we haven't found intelligent life could be that there is a "trap" for intelligent species. Civilization might advance to a certain point and then they invent something that eradicates them. That something might be a military weapon or even a recreational device that disrupts reproduction.

AI might be a thing that eradicates mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

One of the reasons we haven't found intelligent life could be that there is a "trap" for intelligent species. Civilization might advance to a certain point and then they invent something that eradicates them. That something might be a military weapon or even a recreational device that disrupts reproduction.

While that's certainly a plausible theory, I'd say it's more likely that we're grossly underestimating the technological advancements required for interstellar travel. Even considering how quickly we've advanced in the last 120 years or so, I'd reckon we're still at least a few centuries away. /shrug

That doesn't sound logical.
    So AI will eradicate us and then... itself?
    I find it more likely that it will continue to develop itself and actually meet another species, if it exists.

But I am not afraid of AI. It's as big innovation as the wheel.
    Imagine getting answers to EVERYTHING. Every mathematical problem, every physics question, every space theory out there. AI will create new ways of us to travel faster in the space.
    Do you remember computer revolution? I do.
    Compare year '75 to '95 and then move just 10 years to 2005 and then now. We're talking 20 years difference and what a difference it is!
    Now AI would boost that development hundreds of times faster. Everything we dreamed about and thought would happen in 22nd or later Century would be created within years thanks to unlimited AI learning.

The only thing slowing it down is FUD. Also ethics and morals. Damn I wish people would stop hanging onto ethics and morals.
    "Don't judge us by our methods, but what we seek to accomplish"

China will be the first one to develop a fully functional AI.

It will accelerate innovation but the advancement(s) will be implemented in machines of war before any other use.
    I'm truly sorry man's dominion, Has broken nature's social union,
    An' justifies that ill opinion, Which makes thee startle
    At me, thy poor, earth-born companion, An' fellow-mortal!
    To a Mouse, Robert Burns, 1795

Lol. FYI, intelligent species =/= mankind. Artificial intellect eradicating mankind does not eradicate intellect from the face of the Earth, it simply introduces a new intelligent "species" in the place of homo sapiens.

In fact, if we ever encounter intelligent alien beings those are quite likely artificial in nature and/or origin.
    Last edited by Uzkin; 2017-09-14 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    In fact, if we ever encounter intelligent alien beings those are quite likely artificial in nature and/or origin.
    I think so too. I'm also inclined to think that this is the far future for us. Space is too hostile an environment to harbor life in meat form.

Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    I think so too. I'm also inclined to think that this is the far future for us. Space is too hostile an environment to harbor life in meat form.
    Exactly. It'll be such a disappointment to those who were expecting to see a klingon, or a vorlon, or a wookie to instead meet an AI who chose to use a perfectly human-looking android body for the first encounter.