1. #1

    [SPOILER] Alleria and the stupidity of our Characters

    You.Don't.Help.People.That.Don't.Tell.You.What.They're.Up.To!

    "Oh, hi Alleria! How are you... Void Magic? But why? Not like i'm completely opposed, i mean, my best friend is a Priest, but... oh she's gone. Better follow her and do as she tells me!"

    "Whaddup, strange Void Ethereal dude i've never seen before and have no reason to trust? Would you mind telling me why... What is that? It's her destiny, you want some Staff, and i should go fuck myself? Allrighty then, just lead the way!"

    Come the fuck on. This has happened quite a few times in WoW, and i think it's slowly starting to annoy me. I completely understand that the amount of choice and agency you can give a player in an mmo is limited, and for the sake of the story, you can't just give me the option to say "fuck no, i'm gonna kill you if you try to do that!", but give me some exposition as to WHY Alleria is doing that stuff, WHY i'm supposed to help her and Toilet-Walker. Just telling me that it's her Destiny™ and that i should just go along with the shadiest shit i've seen someone pull off in quite some time just isn't cutting it. Not even a confrontation between Alleria and Turalyon after it happened.

    "Oh, you're blue now Alleria? What is that? It's completely under your control? Nice!".

    Sure it is, Alleria. Sure it is...

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I completely understand that the amount of choice and agency you can give a player in an mmo is limited.
    swtor.com (at least the main storylines you're literally deciding everything that is going to happen)

    edit: Oh, and thanks for the post, 100% agree

  3. #3
    Epic! Lulbalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Barely Duelist
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post

    "Oh, you're blue now Alleria? What is that? It's completely under your control? Nice!".
    That was pretty funny.

    At least as a warlock I don't have to pretend to care about her motives (to an extent) or her well-being. I just /popcorn.

  4. #4
    You expected good writing out of WoW? uhhh.......
    "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire

    If you have to attack a person instead of what they're saying, then you've already lost the argument.

  5. #5
    The problem starts with blizzard (and many players) wanting to convince you that you are the ultimate leader of your class/draenor garrison and yet everybody tells you what to do at all times and you, like, send a few people from a relatively small circle on missions.

    Another favorite of mine is how all NPCs magically seem to know your name. I remember almost being creeped out the first time I freed Gul'dan from the dark portal and he called me by name. I mean, sometimes it's bad enough when NPCs know your race or even class.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    You.Don't.Help.People.That.Don't.Tell.You.What.They're.Up.To!

    "Oh, hi Alleria! How are you... Void Magic? But why? Not like i'm completely opposed, i mean, my best friend is a Priest, but... oh she's gone. Better follow her and do as she tells me!"

    "Whaddup, strange Void Ethereal dude i've never seen before and have no reason to trust? Would you mind telling me why... What is that? It's her destiny, you want some Staff, and i should go fuck myself? Allrighty then, just lead the way!"

    Come the fuck on. This has happened quite a few times in WoW, and i think it's slowly starting to annoy me. I completely understand that the amount of choice and agency you can give a player in an mmo is limited, and for the sake of the story, you can't just give me the option to say "fuck no, i'm gonna kill you if you try to do that!", but give me some exposition as to WHY Alleria is doing that stuff, WHY i'm supposed to help her and Toilet-Walker. Just telling me that it's her Destiny™ and that i should just go along with the shadiest shit i've seen someone pull off in quite some time just isn't cutting it. Not even a confrontation between Alleria and Turalyon after it happened.

    "Oh, you're blue now Alleria? What is that? It's completely under your control? Nice!".

    Sure it is, Alleria. Sure it is...
    Well I did drop mining simply because I didn't want to cram Fel shards into my Pally just to be able to bang on some rocks. At least he's not "THAT" stupid.

  7. #7
    If you think about it - we are the puppets here, because every NPC uses us for whatever they like. Does it sound creepy?

  8. #8
    Alleria is hardly antagonistic here, shes basically doing what Garrosh did with one difference, she didnt screw up.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Alleria is hardly antagonistic here, shes basically doing what Garrosh did with one difference, she didnt screw up.
    yet /10char

  10. #10
    Hey, I'm a Shadow Priest. If she finds new ways to control the void, I can use her.

  11. #11
    My main problem with WoW is, fucking everyone gives us orders, when in reality we can kill any in our ranks if we so desired and no one has the power to stop us

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    Hey, I'm a Shadow Priest. If she finds new ways to control the void, I can use her.
    If you know what I mean...
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    Hey, I'm a Shadow Priest. If she finds new ways to control the void, I can use her.
    Basically this. It's kinda like how the Council of the Black Harvest started going around in MoP trying to find new paths to power in the warlock magics. There were some pitfalls, some setbacks, but all warlocks are now stronger than they were for the work the Council did.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •