Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Sounds to me like the guy who wrote the article needs a heavy dose of git gud

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Actually, what is required to be a movie buff (having watched lots of movie) or a literature buff (having read books) is quite different than what is required from being a ''pro'' gamer.
    Which isn't the case of Dean Takahashi. He is completely inapt and even illiterate regarding video gaming. He is like a blind person watching a movie or an analphabet watching a book.

The worse part? This:

Dean about ME2: "The Co-CEOs of BioWare told me they changed some things because of me. And not just dumbing it down. My ineptitude led to change."

Herald of the Titans Mister Cheese's Avatar

Even Fromsoftware will take no shit.
    "I'm in my happy place."

There are plenty of online communities and people that focus on having fun over having skill. For example I have a cool set of friends I play Overwatch with who focus on having fun and generally not taking the game seriously, mostly because we suck at the game.

Meanwhile I am in a Mythic WoW guild that takes progression and our skill quite seriously and have fun that way.

Find the community you want. That's really all there is to this discussion.

Who gives a fuck what other people are doing, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Have you never heard the term movie buff? That's the exact same thing as someone who describes themselves as a gamer. Your comparison is dumb and you are clueless.
    Someone who dedicate their entire being to movies isn't a thing. Nobody commits to movies as many hours a day as they possibly can, get irritated when they aren't watching movies and watch the same movies over and over again to chase down virtual achievements of their skill at watching movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Someone who dedicate their entire being to movies isn't a thing. Nobody commits to movies as many hours a day as they possibly can, get irritated when they aren't watching movies and watch the same movies over and over again to chase down virtual achievements of their skill at watching movies.
    Ah yes. The good old "this thing doesn't exist because of arbitrary rules I made up" argument.

Herald of the Titans
    Video games are one of the few competitive activities where out of shape mouthbreathers can not only win, but actually be a dominant force. Of course they are going to 'fetishize' their skills.

Take some guy who cant walk up a flight of stairs without fainting and put him in an actual competitive sport, then watch them complain about the "unfairness" of physical activity. Take an ugly person and listen to them complain about the "unfairness" of societies beauty standards.

People bitch about things they themselves do not excel at. Its basic human nature.

As much as i hate seeing that ever so annoying "git gud", it really does cut right to the chase.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2017-09-19 at 01:55 PM.

Video game culture does not need to stop having a skill fetish, both on a tactical and mechanical level of interaction, because it is an interactive medium that people do when interacting with, rather than just watching and following along.

It's totally fine to be bad at video games as a consumer, but some degree of mechanical skill do matter to being a games journalist.