Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So I keep telling friends that current predictions are still pointing on a 2018 impeachment. Is that still accurate? I really don't want it to be in 2019 or a month before his term is over anyway.
    My date has been between February and August 2019, for some time. Unless there is the smoking gun to end all smoking guns... the kind of thing that would wrap this up in a weeks time (from the smoking gun becoming known to his removal), it's going to be tortured and protracted process. Republicans being battered during the 2018 midterms at the State and Local level (which matter so much more than the House or Senate in 2018 due to the coming 2020 census and redistricting) is a pre-requisite for his removal.

But that said Trump is WAY ahead of schedule. His alienation of Republicans the past couple of weeks has been monumentally important, and not something I expected to happen until next Summer.

7+ Year Old Account
    YES, Texan, that's how it works. I see people, I project them onto their nation. Every single one of you is a diplomatic representative of the USA. Behave yourself accordingly. :P

At least nobody here asked me if we actually managed to build up Germany again. Actual, real life Texan in 2002. From Austin. God, vacation has never been that surreal again. :P
    I'm actually a New Yorker, social mobility is an amazing thing.

I don't think Trump will be impeached unfortunately, at least not in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    My date has been between February and August 2019, for some time. Unless there is the smoking gun to end all smoking guns... the kind of thing that would wrap this up in a weeks time (from the smoking gun becoming known to his removal), it's going to be tortured and protracted process. Republicans being battered during the 2018 midterms at the State and Local level (which matter so much more than the House or Senate in 2018 due to the coming 2020 census and redistricting) is a pre-requisite for his removal.

But that said Trump is WAY ahead of schedule. His alienation of Republicans the past couple of weeks has been monumentally important, and not something I expected to happen until next Summer.
    Really? I'm not that surprised, to be honest. He just can't hide his flaws at all, it seems. That much was clear during the campaign. He did so many things that damage him and his party. And he's continuing to do them. I think the hurricane thing may have been the first time he actually managed to cross a bar at the absolute minimum requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I'm actually a New Yorker, social mobility is an amazing thing.

I don't think Trump will be impeached unfortunately, at least not in 2018.
    Your location says Texas. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Really? I'm not that surprised, to be honest. He just can't hide his flaws at all, it seems. That much was clear during the campaign. He did so many things that damage him and his party. And he's continuing to do them. I think the hurricane thing may have been the first time he actually managed to cross a bar at the absolute minimum requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Your location says Texas. :P
    Yes, I do live in the Houston Metro area, but I'm from New York. I think that is mostly an American thing, identifying by our State of origin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Sigh.... Open source intelligence is very good, especially with a bit of fusion.
    Oh you should never, ever go by open source intelligence...

- - - Updated - - -

Hardly. The banner sure. But in context, no way.
    The context of the banner is what is so often (deliberately) missed by the media and forum pundits. The banner had nothing to do with the Bush speech.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The context of the banner is what is so often (deliberately) missed by the media and forum pundits. The banner had nothing to do with the Bush speech.
    That's rather a very poor explanation, because nothing ever had anything to do with whatever Bush ever said.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Yes, I do live in the Houston Metro area, but I'm from New York. I think that is mostly an American thing, identifying by our State of origin.
    Yeah, it is. But it's not unlike me going to Italy saying I'm from Germany. The only difference is really that I don't speak Italian.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious, why do you think Enterprise should have been an America-class LHA? Just consistency with the naming scheme?

My personal favorite crazy politicization-of-the-Navy idea ever was some Congressman wanting to name a carrier "Barry Goldwater".

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I know you're being funny, but seriously... what you're describing has never actually worked. It's kind of a cliche to claim Presidents do that, but there's scant success it is actually successful at distracting. All politics is local after all. Bill Clinton's "It's the economy, stupid" is pretty much the "strat" for things that matter for American voters.

If Trump decided to start bombing North Korea tomorrow, let's say, there would not be any sort of "rally around the President" moment. The country is more bemused by Kim Jong Un than afraid. And those actually afraid need a double dose of Thorazine.

I mean, that's something else I said in the other thread. There is a segment of the American people that the War on Terror went balls deep on. It fucked them hard and fucked them often. They're afraid of everything. Osama bin Laden made them his bitch, and now they're afraid of the things that goes bump in the night... from natural disasters to ISIS to petulant Korean boy-kings and their nuclear arsenals.

Most Americans don't need professional help to get over the truly brobdingnagian anxiety about... well... everything, that's infected our country like a virus, as most Americans' don't suffer from it. Just some do. But it seems those few make the rest of us look completely out of our goddamn minds.
    Yes, consistency with naming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    You forget the USS Carl Vinson... which, incidentally, would be a precedent for the USS John McCain III.
    Yeah, not sure how I missed that one, given I have gone to sea on her......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Oh you should never, ever go by open source intelligence...

- - - Updated - - -

I know how to read the tea leaves, it was my job.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you kinda do since torpedoes are very loud. I'm very aware of how quiet an Ohio class is, I was on one for almost 5 years. But that comes when you drive 3 knots to nowhere. An Ohio class sub can't even go half as fast as a Seawolf class boat, they were built to go that fast for a reason, just took too long to finish it so the cold war was already over so that mission wasn't required anymore. That's why the Virginia class boats have a much smaller beam verse the Seawolf class.
    That's pretty cool you were on one for 5 years - what was your rating?

I think I was a little too bold with my initial statement of Ohio class boats being fantastic hunter/killers. Obviously, they were designed for a much different purpose. I think I should have said that, in a pinch, they would make good hunter/killers, for despite their size and relatively slow speed, their unprecedented quietness will keep them from being counter-attacked.

Good points about the Seawolf and Virginia class boats.