CC Removing DoT's

Player own CC removing player DoT I can understand, but why have it remove ALL DoT's?

I don't know how you all feel about it, but to me it seems like yet another layer of simplification for a game that has been over pruned, over simplified -especially melee wise.

PvP is slowly moving to less 'thought' and strategy towards scripted/rotation. I realize designers would not agree with me .. All I have is how the game 'feel' and fun is definitely going down with the current direction of design.

A simple and easy change:

CC no longer automatically clears all DoT's from external sources.

JUST DO IT!

Deleted
    so what is it you actually want? CC to insta kill?

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    And then CC will become 99% useless in BGs

Quote Originally Posted by drcrack View Post
    It used to be like that and CC worked just fine .. Those who refuse to learn or use mind simply lose ..

I think this is either a troll response or you are just ignorant.

The only CC that used to break on damage instantly was sheep and sap. Because sheep broke instantly on any damage it had a component that removed dots and sap was considered a pre-combat CC. Other CC that were not stuns would break on damage, but there was a threshold of damage to meet first. So things like fear, hex, etc.

I am honestly not sure what has changed from that paradigm, but I would imagine it still is only sheep and everything else has to have a talent in order to remove dots.

Player own CC removing player DoT I can understand, but why have it remove ALL DoT's?

I don't know how you all feel about it, but to me it seems like yet another layer of simplification for a game that has been over pruned, over simplified -especially melee wise.

PvP is slowly moving to less 'thought' and strategy towards scripted/rotation. I realize designers would not agree with me .. All I have is how the game 'feel' and fun is definitely going down with the current direction of design.

A simple and easy change:

JUST DO IT!
    It only happens for the type of CC that breaks when receiving damage, like sheep, sap, ice traps and paralysis. It's dumb for your DoTs to break your allies' CC, because you hurt your own team without attacking a CC on purpose. Stuns and roots don't remove DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    It only happens for the type of CC that breaks when receiving damage, like sheep, sap, ice traps and paralysis. It's dumb for your DoTs to break your allies' CC, because you hurt your own team without attacking a CC on purpose. Stuns and roots don't remove DoTs.
    Not sure why you think its "dumb" but you realize DoT's did break CC for much of WoW history. Slowly, blizz changed that, first for own DoT's and finally for ALL DoT's.

In random BG if you are a DoT's based spec, say Affliction, and an MM hunter uses trap/scatter you just blew 7 or 8 globals for nothing.

Before when DoT's did not auto clear with soft CC, players need to think before using DoT's as well as using CC.

Personally, I like that builds become more accessible sooner (meaning more forgiving learning curve), but what we have today has gone was too far towards the 'make it simple' side.

There used to be a day 'Back Stab' actually required the rogue to be standing BEHIND the target ..

Not sure why you think its "dumb" but you realize DoT's did break CC for much of WoW history. Slowly, blizz changed that, first for own DoT's and finally for ALL DoT's.

In random BG if you are a DoT's based spec, say Affliction, and an MM hunter uses trap/scatter you just blew 7 or 8 globals for nothing.

Before when DoT's did not auto clear with soft CC, players need to think before using DoT's as well as using CC.

Personally, I like that builds become more accessible sooner (meaning more forgiving learning curve), but what we have today has gone was too far towards the 'make it simple' side.

There used to be a day 'Back Stab' actually required the rogue to be standing BEHIND the target ..
    It's dumb because it becomes impossible to use any sort of CC except for stun, on any enemy that is already engaged. Most classes have some sort of DoT, not just you, some of them actually quite long duration. You're only seeing this from your perspective, and you're ignoring how troublesome it is from the CCer's perspective.

Yeah so you realize it was changed as a "fix", right? I'm pretty sure a lot of people complained back then so it was changed accordingly. You are just randomly assuming that most players liked the previous version better. I'll agree that it's not a great fix, I would rather they made the soft CC work as a hard CC instead, but they didn't go for that.

The argument that "you need to think before you use CC" is still valid. They just end up infuriating you because such a large portion of your dps are DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    I think this is either a troll response or you are just ignorant.

The only CC that used to break on damage instantly was sheep and sap. Because sheep broke instantly on any damage it had a component that removed dots and sap was considered a pre-combat CC. Other CC that were not stuns would break on damage, but there was a threshold of damage to meet first. So things like fear, hex, etc.

I am honestly not sure what has changed from that paradigm, but I would imagine it still is only sheep and everything else has to have a talent in order to remove dots.
    incapacitates blind ect. Its far more then sap and sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    It's dumb because it becomes impossible to use any sort of CC except for stun, on any enemy that is already engaged. Most classes have some sort of DoT, not just you, some of them actually quite long duration. You're only seeing this from your perspective, and you're ignoring how troublesome it is from the CCer's perspective.

Yeah so you realize it was changed as a "fix", right? I'm pretty sure a lot of people complained back then so it was changed accordingly. You are just randomly assuming that most players liked the previous version better. I'll agree that it's not a great fix, I would rather they made the soft CC work as a hard CC instead, but they didn't go for that.

The argument that "you need to think before you use CC" is still valid. They just end up infuriating you because such a large portion of your dps are DoTs.
    Very true, the post stems from a personal pov as a pure DoT build -affliction- and over the course of the expansion it got me thinking more and more about the design. I recall how it was before in RANDOM BG's as you are correct, soft CC became pointless. BUT do they not balance for rated game play also? And if so, would rated game play not benefit from adding a layer of strategy back into it?

Like you said, they decided to go a particular direction that yielded a 'no need to think' strategy regarding CC ..

My point is it has gone past 'preference' and into 'fun' .. but like you said I may be in the minority.

So, you would have classes not brought into arena? Boomkins and other whos dots automatically spread? Or you would change the spells so that it would spread in pve but not in pvp, overcomplicating a single spell?

We could also think other way and say that CC removing dots brought strategy and depth into pvp, you have to think before cc'ing that if its worth removing your partners damage from the target or removing target for 3 seconds is better.

But then again, para and sheep and imprison not removing dots would make for a broken pve, where keeping sthing perma cc'd while dots eating the mob would shine or using para or imprison for interrupts.
    Last edited by Tinary; 2017-09-23 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    So, you would have classes not brought into arena? Boomkins and other whos dots automatically spread? Or you would change the spells so that it would spread in pve but not in pvp, overcomplicating a single spell?

We could also think other way and say that CC removing dots brought strategy and depth into pvp, you have to think before cc'ing that if its worth removing your partners damage from the target or removing target for 3 seconds is better.

But then again, para and sheep and imprison not removing dots would make for a broken pve, where keeping sthing perma cc'd while dots eating the mob would shine or using para or imprison for interrupts.
    That's exactly what we had for many years!

They said 'pruning' but what they actually did was clump stuff together .. So now DoT's auto spread with crazy range .. One button does multiple things .. AND CC clears all DoT's!

Surely you must see this is all stemming from the same BAD strategy of over simplifying the game under the guise of 'making WoW more accessible' to a wider range of players?

The entire design philosophy needs to change to a higher skill bar .. What that means is the game was much more fun when it took longer to learn a spec .. By learn I mean muscle memory ti the point I no longer need to look at my key board -almost.

WoW of today is so easy to pick up and so forgiving mistakes wise, ladders change every season and is full of the flavor of the month. Granted Fotm is nothing new to WoW, but today it is beyond easy to switch. Stand in capital city and hit 100 in hours .. 100 to 110 is just as fast ..

WoW looks like an MMO .. has all the bells and whistles of an MMO .. But who actually plays it as an MMO today ..

Luckily we don't balance the game around poor or selfish play.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

This was a interesting change I agree

Deleted
    There's already mechanic for that and I don't know why it's not being used: "pause duration of dots until effect resolves".

Here, done. Fixed the issue.

This ship has sailed a long time ago, together with PvP balance. Mythic+ competitions are the new thing, arena is old and stale. I used to play it fanatically from season 1 until season 12/13, but its time to move on to bigger and better - Mythic Dungeon Invitational. Bigger audience, bigger rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drcrack View Post
    They can make CC pause the DoTs while active.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama