Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

iPhone X - something you should know

So saw this vid from unbox therapy about the quick charge capabilities of the iphone x. Found it interesting.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    What the hell, how is 30 minute charge for 50% of the battery life special? My Oneplus 3 dash charge charges up to 80% if not more in a 30 minute time window depending on what apps I'm running.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just confused how it is a selling point when it's not even the best charging methode on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    What the hell, how is 30 minute charge for 50% of the battery life special? My Oneplus 3 dash charge charges up to 80% if not more in a 30 minute time window depending on what apps I'm running.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just confused how it is a selling point when it's not even the best charging methode on the market.
    because it's apple!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than the fact the facial recognition completely failed, or that Apple completely skipped 2 generations to produce what is essentially everything and the kitchen sink out of desperation. Yeah I'll pass unless they make a smaller one.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Watched it for 2 seconds then thought "why is OP not able to write it down?" Seriously. What's the point, the music? The Glasses? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Watched it for 2 seconds then thought "why is OP not able to write it down?" Seriously. What's the point, the music? The Glasses? What?
    That's not me in the video dude.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    How did the facial recognition fail? At that Apple demonstration? It didn't. The guy picked up the wrong phone - one that had 'enter pin' first.

It failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, no. The phone had been recently reset, and when that happens you have to enter your pin again, which the demonstrator didn't have.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/reall...181213050.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...x-launch-staff
    Yeah, I am going to disagree, not sure if you watched the video, but that explanation doesn't work. He clearly tried to unlock the phone by looking at it, and tried so twice, after which the prompt came up.

Now maybe it wasn't set up for his face, that isn't known, only Apple does, but in either event it's a failure, and it for sure shouldn't have happened at the actual event where they were supposed to be showing off the features.

Deleted
    The package comes with two adapters, light to usb and light to audio jack. Obviously also with the regular charging cable.

Charging wireless to 50% in 30 minutes is pretty much the fastest it supports right now, there's faster industrial wireless chargers/batteries but they aren't very practical to use at home. Next.. faster charging is nice QoL, but it's pretty bad for the battery in both it's performance per charge cycle and lifetime performance.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    The package comes with two adapters, light to usb and light to audio jack. Obviously also with the regular charging cable.

Charging wireless to 50% in 30 minutes is pretty much the fastest it supports right now, there's faster industrial wireless chargers/batteries but they aren't very practical to use at home. Next.. faster charging is nice QoL, but it's pretty bad for the battery in both it's performance per charge cycle and lifetime performance.
    I hope you meant lightning to usb-c... you know, so that the phone can be plugged into their laptops without having to buy an additional cable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, he tried and then realized it was the passcode screen. It's not a failure because some YouTuber says it is. If someone wants to disput it, then present something that factual disproves the technology and shows that it fails.
    I just did, and if you watched it and still say it wasn't a failure, then maybe you don't know what the word means, here I will help you.

fail·ure
    ˈfālyər/Submit
    noun
    lack of success.
    "an economic policy that is doomed to failure"
    synonyms: lack of success, nonfulfillment, defeat, collapse, foundering More
    the omission of expected or required action.
    "their failure to comply with the basic rules"
    synonyms: negligence, dereliction; More
    Or is your contention now that the device whose actual feature was supposed to be demonstrated isn't doing what they intended it to do is what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider that no one owns the phone yet, no one can then say that the technology fails. All the video proves is that some guy watched what everyone else did, and then assumed the facial recognition failed.
    That is why they have demonstrations, to show what the new technology can do, we already know the unlocking features works by putting in the correct passcode, thus the technology failed, and whatever else would, should or could have happened is pretty irrelevant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah, I am going to disagree, not sure if you watched the video, but that explanation doesn't work. He clearly tried to unlock the phone by looking at it, and tried so twice, after which the prompt came up.

Now maybe it wasn't set up for his face, that isn't known, only Apple does, but in either event it's a failure, and it for sure shouldn't have happened at the actual event where they were supposed to be showing off the features.
    Doesn't really matter though, new things always have a chance to fail, when credit cards were invented, there were a lot of problems with both the magnetic strips and the machines itself, and it took them half a decade to fix most of those issues. I'm pretty sure like any tech company, the product might not be launched, but they are probably constantly tweaking the FaceID feature, so it doesn't fail more than 1 in a million times.

Apple is pretty reliable and so will FaceID be. Can't wait til I have my iPhone X.

Deleted
    That is why they have demonstrations, to show what the new technology can do, we already know the unlocking features works by putting in the correct passcode, thus the technology failed, and whatever else would, should or could have happened is pretty irrelevant.
    Technology always has a chance to fail, we are an imperfect race, all our creations reflect that same imperfection, that is no different for technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really matter though, new things always have a chance to fail, when credit cards were invented, there were a lot of problems with both the magnetic strips and the machines itself, and it took them half a decade to fix most of those issues. I'm pretty sure like any tech company, the product might not be launched, but they are probably constantly tweaking the FaceID feature, so it doesn't fail more than 1 in a million times.

Apple is pretty reliable and so will FaceID be. Can't wait til I have my iPhone X.
    Whether things fail is irrelevant, the question is or was does this work. It also has nothing to do with Apples reputation, I know they make great products, that is why I own one, but this was a failure, and there really is no reason to be called something else.

Maybe there are good reasons why, but that isn't my problem, I also said that I would be willing to maybe buy one, when they become smaller, where I assume by then they will have worked out whatever didn't work.

http://bgr.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-f...-demo-failure/

“People were handling the device for stage demo ahead of time,” says a rep, “and didn’t realize Face ID was trying to authenticate their face. After failing a number of times, because they weren’t Craig, the iPhone did what it was designed to do, which was to require his passcode.” In other words, “Face ID worked as it was designed to.”

10+ Year Old Account
    The facial recognition didn't fail. It worked, as is proven on the phone that had it set up.
    Ok well Winter Blossom you show me the video where they demonstrate that it does work then, go on ill wait...

- - - Updated - - -

Technology always has a chance to fail, we are an imperfect race, all our creations reflect that same imperfection, that is no different for technology.
    It's not about if we are an imperfect race, the device didn't know Face ID working, the problem is human error I am sure more than one way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, an excuse that has been given and as far as I am concerned rejected, at least in terms of this, because I was watching to see the Iphone X require a passcode as it should, I already knew it could do that.

Deleted
    Whether things fail is irrelevant, the question is or was does this work. It also has nothing to do with Apples reputation, I know they make great products, that is why I own one, but this was a failure, and there really is no reason to be called something else.

Maybe there are good reasons why, but that isn't my problem, I also said that I would be willing to maybe buy one, when they become smaller, where I assume by then they will have worked out whatever didn't work.
    A failure kind of means that FaceID didn't work at all, which didn't happen, since it worked fine on the other phone.

At most this was a kink or a malfunction, but not really a failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's in the official demonstration video, lol. The guy picks up another phone from the table - one that didn't require the passcode - and the facial recognition worked.

Also, read what @Sentynel posted.
    He picked up another phone, after he wiped his face? So if I order this phone then I just need to buy another one in case it doesn't recognize me?

Better yet why was the one that failed up there in the first place?

Was it another phone it placed on there incase his mom called or something?