Poll: What do you think?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cancer faker 'terribly damaged' by traumatic events and won't go to jail: judge

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ence-1.4295066

A Calgary woman who pleaded guilty to fraud after pretending to have breast cancer and to have lost everything in the Fort McMurray fires will not spend time behind bars if she respects the conditions of her probation.

When she pretended to have cancer, Jennifer Halford was so mentally ill, having suffered trauma after trauma, she'd developed an "overwhelming need to be cared for," according to a psychiatric report prepared ahead of her sentencing hearing.

Halford, 35, sobbed and writhed, shaking her head and leaning against the wall at times throughout the sentencing hearing in provincial court in Calgary on Monday as the details of her life were laid out before Judge Anne Brown.

"She's plagued with feelings of worthlessness and personal failure," said prosecutor Jason Wuttunee.

Good Samaritans rallied to help Halford after she said she had breast cancer and also pretended to have lost everything in the Fort McMurray wildfires in 2016. She pleaded guilty on seven counts of fraud last November.
    Traumatic events

The judge accepted a joint submission made by Wuttunee and defence lawyer Michelle Parhar on Monday. She imposed a suspended sentence, meaning if Halford respects the conditions of her two-year probation, she will not spend time behind bars.

The judge noted several traumatic events "terribly damaged" Halford.

The elaborate fraud began in February 2016 when she told people she had breast cancer.

Three months later, she capitalized on the Fort McMurray wildfires and pretended to have lost everything, including her home.

She lied to two cancer survivors, the Kids Cancer Care organization, a mother whose daughter died and other generous Calgarians from February to May 2016.

Good Samaritans rallied to help her, donating food, gas cards, cash, diapers and child-care services.

The fact that Halford fostered 17 children — many of them high needs — over the years was presented as a mitigating factor to the judge.

Psychological and psychiatric reports found Halford was suffering a major depressive disorder — including anxiety and depression — when she committed the frauds.
    Daughter's death 'extremely detrimental'

Though she'd suffered the loss of several family members, the death of her daughter Abby from mitochondrial disease in 2011 was the most impactful.

"This death — and the experience of dealing with her daughter's illness, deterioration and ultimate death — was extremely detrimental," said Wuttunee.

In dealing with her daughter's death, Halford gained 250 pounds.

After weight-loss surgery, she lost 200 pounds but suffered serious medical side effects including breast pain which required five surgeries between 2012 and 2016. She was scheduled to have a double mastectomy before charges were laid.

Doctors say Halford believed she did have breast cancer and would ultimately be diagnosed with the disease, according to the reports.
    Greed not motive: doctors

Although the doctors say Halford's frauds were intentional, they believe her crimes were not for financial gain or greed, but rather an effort to get support and attention.

Wuttunee and defence lawyer Parhar made a joint submission for a suspended sentence plus two years of probation.

Parhar said her client has attended 19 counselling sessions and is remorseful. Halford will have to pay back about $1,300 to the victims and is banned from social media.

Through statements and communication with the prosecution, some of the victims expressed their concern for Halford.

One said she felt "heartsick" for her former friend and would give to her again. Another told Wuttunee she felt Halford was the victim.

"None of these victims harbour resentment," said Wuttunee.

'You are a compassionate person'

In handing down her sentence, Brown told Halford the ultimate goal of a sentence was to heal the offender and heal community which was harmed.

Brown offered Halford words of kindness and support.

"You are a compassionate person, that's part of the problem in your mental health," said Brown.

"There are all sorts of people who break the criminal law and crucial to your case is the fact that your own mental illnesses [was] an enormous contributing factor to your behaviour."

Brown also acknowledged Halford was the victim of "the most horrible manifestations" of "mob behaviour" when she received "horrible and shocking" death threats from strangers.

"What we strive for is a community that is compassionate," said Brown.
    What a disturbing story. Faking cancer? That is despicable. That said, it is important that we show compassion in certain instances.

So what do you think about this?

My step mom died from Breast Cancer and my nan also had it too!

Fuck this person!!

10+ Year Old Account
    What a mess. At some point you have to take some agency for your behaviors, instead of being ruled by events that come and go. Trauma isn't an excuse.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    is faking an illness a crime???

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Depends if you make money from it

Faking it, No. getting stuff from faking it, yes. It's called fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Nobody should go to jail for a white collar crime anyway. This is a mentally ill person with a deep depression after her daugther death. Jail is clearly not appropriate here.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Nobody should go to jail for a white collar crime anyway. This is a mentally ill person with a deep depression after her daugther death. Jail is clearly not appropriate here.
    She committed fraud and death is no excuse! I lost my stepmom 3 months ago to breast cancer and i have been drinking heavily since but i would no way commit fraud because of it!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well it seems that she faked it mostly because she wanted attention not money and will pay it back also get side a probation for 2 years, so I'm fine with this ending.
    I disagree with the poster that said no white collared crime should result in jail time thou

Deleted
    Where is option 3 that the judge got it right? Cos thats what I would vote for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it's called fraud. You really don't know this? You didn't know insurance fraud was a thing?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Yes it's called fraud. You really don't know this? You didn't know insurance fraud was a thing?
    Never really thought about it really Whitt collar crimes have never interested me in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason to fake an illness is to garner sympathy and money...so yes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I don't see a problem with the ruling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The only reason to fake an illness is to garner sympathy and money...so yes.
    Or skipping school/work.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

This is only beat by behind-the-desk "veterans" faking disability to get compensation.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Lock the bitch up.

Deleted
    What's the purpose of prison? Is it to rehabilitate, keep dangerous people off the streets or just to punish people that do bad things?

I think that's the crucial thing here. Is she a danger to anyone? Probably not. Particularly now everyone knows she's a fraud.
    Could she be rehabilitated? Maybe, but with therapy, not prison time.
    Should she be punished? Sure. She took advantage of the kindness of strangers.

I don't see that prison would serve anyone here. She wouldn't get all the help she needs, she wouldn't learn from it - rather it would likely amplify her perceived victimhood. Her justifications for her actions are somewhat irrelevant to me, we all have our demons.

She's clearly a mess of a person and needs mental health treatment to deal with her issues. Repaying those that helped her based on false information repairs some of the damage she did and she'll have to deal with her demons.

I say the judge made the right call. Let her get the help she clearly requires, make reparations to those she harmed and not make the government pay for her care with prison time.

Deleted
    Poll: neither, she should be punished but not locked up imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    Faking it, No. getting stuff from faking it, yes. It's called fraud.
    its also the resources wasted on this person when the focus should be on people actually suffering from cancer, having doctors and nurses attending someone who doesn't have the disease when people who do aren't being helped or supported due to limited numbers of helpers.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post
    My step mom died from Breast Cancer and my nan also had it too!

Fuck this person!!
    She's not responsible for your losses. And she's got problems on her own. Read into the story instead of just the headline. This is a pretty sensible ruling, tbh. A judge should take the situation into consideration and find the best solution for everyone. Otherwise, we might as well replace those expensive bastards with computers. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.