Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Australia's PM slaps down call for sugar tax as obesity levels reach 'crisis point'

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ia-soft-drinks

Fresh calls for sugary drinks to be slugged with a 20 percent tax have been slapped down by PM Malcolm Turnbull and the nation's food and beverages industry.

The government is being urged to introduce the tax as part of an eight-point plan drawn up by a coalition of health and community groups which want urgent action to tackle the increasing number of Australians who are overweight or obese.

They also want restrictions on TV junk food ads, a national obesity task force and mandatory health star ratings for food packaging by mid 2019.

But Mr Turnbull says while obesity is a major challenge, a tax on soft drinks is not the solution.

"I think we have enough taxes and there are enough imposts on us all when we go to the supermarket and we go shopping," he told 9NEWS

"The other thing is too where do you draw the line? There is a lot of sugar in a bottle of orange juice, are you going to put a tax on that?"

The groups calling for a sugar tax include the Obesity Policy Coalition, Cancer Council, the Heart Foundation and several universities.

They estimate that 63 percent of Australian adults and 27 percent of children are either overweight or obese, with the annual cost to the health budget coming in at around $8.6 billion.

Obesity Policy Coalition executive manager Jane Martin said if the government doesn't act to address the problem, the costs will escalate.

Experts now say obesity poses a greater risk to Australians than smoking.

"The policies we have set out to tackle obesity therefore aim to not only reduce morbidity and mortality but also improve wellbeing, bring vital benefits to the economy and set Australians up for a healthier future," she said.

Ms Martin said part of Australia's obesity problem was that kids were being bombarded with ads for junk food and high-sugar drinks that are cheaper than water.

Many so called healthy foods were also laden with sugar and saturated fat.

"Making a healthy choice has never been more difficult," she said.

Mr Turnbull said he believed the best approach was focusing on making people aware of what they are eating - and the consequences.

"Labelling is very important, health messages through the media, ... but also exercise. Get up and walk," he said.

Australia's food and beverages industry also opposes a sugar tax and argues that a broad and holistic approach is needed to tackle the problem.

"We believe there is no single cause or quick fix solution," a joint statement released by eight major food and drinks groups led by the Australian Food & Grocery Council said.

"Industry continues to demonstrate strong compliance with self-regulatory food and beverage advertising codes which have virtually removed all non-core food advertising primarily directed to children."

Countries like Britain, Ireland, Belgium, France, Fiji, Mexico, South Africa and part of the United States have already or are about to apply a sugar tax.
    What's this guy doing? We really need some better leadership in Australia. This is unacceptable. We can either move forward on the obesity crisis or we can not. Simple choice.

Ms Martin said part of Australia's obesity problem was that kids were being bombarded with ads for junk food and high-sugar drinks that are cheaper than water.
    I didn't know you can buy coke for less than a dollar for a cubic metre. Self control issue which won't be solved with a tax. /dismissed
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smart move we need this to be a forced issue. Otherwise no need to demonize guns or cigarettes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

What's this guy doing? We really need some better leadership in Australia. This is unacceptable. We can either move forward on the obesity crisis or we can not. Simple choice.
    We? Are you Australian or Canadian?

a national obesity task force
    Tennisace, you can be the leader of an international obesity task force!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    All that'd do is make poor people poorer. People would still buy the same stuff, maybe just in a cheaper brand name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    We? Are you Australian or Canadian?
    What difference does it mean, and why does one's views on a global forum need to be only in line with what effects their own backyard, when that isn't an actual rule.

Australia is part of a global community whether you like it or not, so yeah WE, including the U.S and Canada ought to be doing more about the obesity epidemic, one of the primary things as being target those who are targeting the masses and helping to create the harm that is ballooning the need for higher healthcare cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    so did the OP confuse Australia for Canada again? It's a common mistake.
    Yeah your sarcasm aside, Tennis I believe is not consigning her beliefs with just that of her own backyard. If it is good for Canada why isn't it good for the U.S or Australia?

Lol what? He agrees theres a problem just doesn't agree that the tax is the solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    All that'd do is make poor people poorer. People would still buy the same stuff, maybe just in a cheaper brand name.
    Nah you just slap a tax on it like they do with smokers, it will make an impact.

If people are eating too much or drinking too much its on them. Government cant solve your eating habits and taxing food just means they are going to be spending more on it which means less money to spend else where in the long run.

The government knows what is best for you, little peasants! Do not question your benevolent overlords.

in today's insipid tenn thread the wheel landed on... "obesity!" tenn's greatest demon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Nah you just slap a tax on it like they do with smokers, it will make an impact.
    Until what? Sugar becomes a rarity? Leaving us with bland food because a few people lack self control?

At least in America junk food and instant high calorie meals are a lot cheaper than buying low calorie or whole food options. And soda is extremely cheap. I can get a 2 liter of soda for 50 cents. Not main brand although I can get a 2 liter of main brand Pepsi for like 80 cents. I do feel like healthy food should be cheaper than junk food. Maybe not by making the sugary foods more expensive but by making healthy foods more affordable. We have a serious sugar addiction problem, and yes sugar is actually chemically addictive, it needs to be addressed a lot more aggressively than it has been in the past and recently.

"The other thing is too where do you draw the line? There is a lot of sugar in a bottle of orange juice, are you going to put a tax on that?"
    Ummm... juice is HORRID for us. You wouldn't sit there and eat 10 apples in one sitting would you? NO! Why would you squeeze just the sugar out of it and drink 10 apples worth of sugar and not even get the fiber that eating an apple would give you. I hate how companies can get away with saying juice is healthy because it comes from a fruit. Just EAT a goddamn fruit. XD

I agree with cutting back on junk food advertisements and maybe some kind of sugar tax or something to dissuade people from buying junk food but I think the real issue is getting people off of the sugar addiction and making healthy choices more affordable to all. I'm no health food-ologist so I may not know exactly how things would realistically play out irl but I do know we have a major problem not just in the US but worldwide.
    Signature made by Aryiana :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia's lack of a government has fuck all to do with obesity. Can't you fat shame in your other threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Lol what? He agrees theres a problem just doesn't agree that the tax is the solution.
    Which means he isn't taking meaningful action. A problem don't you think?

Sugar taxes are bullshit. Don't want to be fat? Drink water. Exercise.

Which means he isn't taking meaningful action. A problem don't you think?
    Sometimes the best action is to stop and think before you do something reckless and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Until what? Sugar becomes a rarity? Leaving us with bland food because a few people lack self control?
    If you think food without added sugar is bland then it sounds like you too have a sugar addiction. All sorts of foods without added sugar are absolutely delicious. The sugar industry relies on people becoming addicted to their sugary drinks and foods to continue making millions. Everyone would be better without high amounts of sugar even if you aren't obese "yet"
    Signature made by Aryiana :3

Just tax the fat people for being fat instead of raising the cost of sugar.