Chooesing the Best ~250GB SSD

Hi there!

I'm building a custom gaming desktop PC on a website, and the computer will be just for playing WoW, so I was hoping someone could tell me which SSD from the list below is the best. If you could say why that would be cool too.

Thank you!

SSD
    256GB Samsung 850 Pro Series

PCIe M.2
    250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2

SATA M.2
    250GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA M.2

15+ Year Old Account
    They are all Good. However 850s are 2 year old tech and slower than the 960. If money isn't a issue, and I'm assuming its not as you have the 960 Evo listed, that would be your best bet as it is a nvme drive, the others are sata, yes the 850 M.2 is sata, not nvme.

Although to me, 250Gb is small. if your not using a mechanical data drive it will fill up quickly.

There's no point in throwing money on a 960 or even a Pro version if "the computer will be just for playing WoW"

Is go with the pcie m.2. I'd also go for the next size up 500/512 GB. that seems to be the sweet spot right now for price/GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    There's no point in throwing money on a 960 or even a Pro version if "the computer will be just for playing WoW"
    you buy a pro for the warranty. Im happy to know my ssd is warrantied for 10 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    valid point, instead of the 960 Evo, for $25 more you could get a 850 Evo 500GB

10+ Year Old Account
    I also feel M.2, nvme, and Pro versions are a waste of money. The only upsides are warranties.. But personally I wouldn't care if it had a 10 year warranty over 3-5, since I probably wont keep it that long anyway.

I vote Samsung EVO SATA (not m.2)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Highly suggest you also consider the Crucial BX300 and MX300 series SSDs. The MX are the nicer ones. I've had 4 Crucial SSDs over the years and all of them, including the early-firmware edition m4 128GB I bought in 2011 still work great - and the m4 I updated the firmware on multiple times and it's had major installations like OS's reinstalled multiple times. So, Crucial has proven themselves to me.

However, yes, Samsung also make some terrific SSDs. These are really the only two brands you should consider if you want the best.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Unless you're really thrashing your storage and using it for pro applications, NVMe is nearly pointless for just gaming.

While yes, it is quite a bit faster than SATA, it isn't really noticable in real-world performance. So the game loads in 1.124 seconds instead of 2.

Not worth the money, IMO.

Deleted
    I agree on not buying an NVMe drive for performance reasons, as you are unlikely to see a benefit which would offset cost per gb.

Despite knowing this I bought an sm951 a couple of years ago, purely because of the novelty/form factor and cost didn't matter much (business expense) .

Just wanna say thank you all for the great feedback.

Based on my available options and your input, i've decided to buy the:

500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA M.2

Thanks again

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    Just wanna say thank you all for the great feedback.

Based on my available options and your input, i've decided to buy the:

500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA M.2

Thanks again
    Wait a SATA m.2 or NVMe?

I personally don't really get the point going for a SATA m.2, unless you want to get rid of cables, but also screw yourself out of the m.2 slot for a real NVMe drive, in the future...

Also a link to the product would be nice. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Wait a SATA m.2 or NVMe?

I personally don't really get the point going for a SATA m.2, unless you want to get rid of cables, but also screw yourself out of the m.2 slot for a real NVMe drive, in the future...

Also a link to the product would be nice. :P

I agree here, should have gotten the sata drive and saved the M.2 for future use with nvme platform.

PCIe M.2
    250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2

Reason: All the reasons, if your motherboard/cpu is compatible and NVME capable.

If its not nvme capable but still has a m.2 slot, the non-nvme m.2 option is just as good.