Upgrading Current Setup

Hello,

I've built my pc 3-4 years ago, and I feel like it's starting to slow down a lot, whenever I ask someone what could help me fix the slowing part they tell me to upgrade my OS. My current setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    2x Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

What are your suggestion for things I should upgrade, I don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrading everything, but at the very least i plan to get a better OS. Any suggestions for what OS I should get, and another suggestion for things I could change to upgrade my PC further without paying too much?

Thanks,

which OS are you using now? what games are you playing, at what resolution? is that 3-4 years on the original installation?

Errr you never actually said what your operating system is, for it to need upgrading in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by leggit View Post
    Hello,

I've built my pc 3-4 years ago, and I feel like it's starting to slow down a lot, whenever I ask someone what could help me fix the slowing part they tell me to upgrade my OS. My current setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    2x Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

What are your suggestion for things I should upgrade, I don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrading everything, but at the very least i plan to get a better OS. Any suggestions for what OS I should get, and another suggestion for things I could change to upgrade my PC further without paying too much?

Thanks,
    Get an SSD. This will show you the largest upgrade value. The processor is fine but could eventualy get upgrade to an 8th gen (coffeelake) intel CPU or Ryzen (AMD) 1500x. This will be at least 350$ as you need a new mobo RAM CPU and OS as at this point you might as well go to Windows 10. If you go Intel, you should get a K skew CPU and you'll need a CPU cooler.

As for the OS. They're not completely wrong, 10 is faster than 7 as its background processes are more streamlined. A fresh install will probably give you alot of value as well as extra software you may have running can really start to bog down a system.

Recommended upgrade priority SSD>go to 10 > upgrading the CPU/MOBO/RAM. Cheap way is windows 10 from kinguiin get buyers proctect for 40 or buy an oem copy for 90 (remember when you do this, you will most likely need to buy a new copy of windows when you go to upgrade your mobo and CPU as the OEM copy is bound by your cpu and MOBO) Get a 128 or a 250gb SSD around 80$. Install the new OS on the SSD. Using the windows 10 installation, wipe the old hard drive. Make sure to keep any important files you don't want deleted. Reinstall your games on to that hard drive not the SSD. Install the games you are most likely to play on the SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Errr you never actually said what your operating system is, for it to need upgrading in the first place.
    Im going to assume its 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    --snip--
    Don't listen to this post. A SSD is never a priority when gaming (for performance).

Upgrade your Ram from 8GB to 16GB and if you are on any OS besides Win10 upgrade to Win10. After you do those two things if you want get a SSD(Put windows on it if u want). Other then that your rig is fine.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Sorry, I have Windows 8
    I play a lot of games, mostly WoW, League of Legends, and PUBG
    Issue isnt quality too much but rather the time it takes to open the game...takes over 5mins sometimes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    which OS are you using now? what games are you playing, at what resolution? is that 3-4 years on the original installation?
    not exactly sure what you mean by "is that 3-4 years on the original installation?" but i mean i built my pc 3-4 years ago, upgraded my video card and added RAM to it, of course im updating my windows updates too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Don't listen to this post. A SSD is never a priority when gaming (for performance).

Upgrade your Ram from 8GB to 16GB and if you are on any OS besides Win10 upgrade to Win10. After you do those two things if you want get a SSD(Put windows on it if u want). Other then that your rig is fine.
    I have 2x of the 2, sorry if it's confusing but i do have 16GB total RAM

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leggit View Post
    Sorry, I have Windows 8
    I play a lot of games, mostly WoW, League of Legends, and PUBG
    Issue isnt quality too much but rather the time it takes to open the game...takes over 5mins sometimes

- - - Updated - - -

not exactly sure what you mean by "is that 3-4 years on the original installation?" but i mean i built my pc 3-4 years ago, upgraded my video card and added RAM to it, of course im updating my windows updates too.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2x of the 2, sorry if it's confusing but i do have 16GB total RAM
    If loading times are your only problem then you should go for an SSD.

15+ Year Old Account
    if it takes 5 minutes to load up a game you have issues that upgrading wont help. Unless its your hard drive, which it could be, could be heat related.

Troubleshooting time.

Download Western Digitals DL, scan for viruses, trojans etc. and download HWmonitor for temp monitoring.

Your system is fine for gaming, upgrading now would be a waste of money unless you have it to burn. Adding a SSD will decrease load times, but not make games any faster.

OS? Windows 10
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-09-20 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    if it takes 5 minutes to load up a game you have issues that upgrading wont help. Unless its your hard drive, which it could be, could be heat related.

Troubleshooting time.

Download Western Digitals DL, scan for viruses, trojans etc. and download HWmonitor for temp monitoring.

Your system is fine for gaming, upgrading now would be a waste of money unless you have it to burn. Adding a SSD will decrease load times, but not make games any faster.

OS? Windows 10
    thing is im pretty sure that it's not a virus or any sort of issue like that because i do have anti-virus and Best Buy's Geek Squad checked my pc for those stuff. My biggest issue isnt game speed, but loading speed so im guessing SSD will be a big upgrade as well as upgrading to Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

When someone says their computer "feels" like its slowing down, its typically 1 of two things. Either an overloaded/older hard drive or an overheating issue. Typically you wont find an overheating issue in a decently maintained desktop (cleaned heat sinks once a year or so.) 4 years on the same hard drive is a decent amount of wear and it probably hasn't been fresh installed since build date.These are assumptions but normally they are safe assumptions on these forums when someone is asking for help.
    @leggit For loading speeds, the SSD will be big and windows 10 will help even more. I had a PC that had a boot time of 11 minutes with windows 7 and a 7200 spinning drive with a relatively fresh install. Put an SSD and windows 10 on it and the boot time went to 90 seconds. SSDs wont directly help gaming performance, but can make a difference on loading.