Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Trustworthy teen returns wallet full of cash, credit cards

LINK HERE

SACRAMENTO, California -- A teenager from California proved to be a man of integrity when he took a step that some probably wouldn't -- returning a lost wallet full of cash and cards to its rightful owner.

"We don't hear too many good things like this every day," said Melissa Vang, whose wallet was returned.

It was a chance at $1500 in cash and a run on a handful of credit cards. But where honesty can fail some, the moral compass of Tyler Opdyke came shining through.

"I just really thought about what I would want someone to do if I were to drop my wallet," explained Tyler. "And then I thought about the house. I thought about the family who lived there."

The 18-year-old was handing out fliers for his uncle's pest control business when he spotted a wallet in the driveway of Melissa's home. It turn out, her husband accidentally dropped it on his way to his car.

"With that cash, we were planning to go shopping with it for a feast that we had yesterday,” Melissa told us. “But I had no clue had dropped his wallet or how much cash he had carried and was stuck in there."

But when Tyler knocked on the door to hand it over, Melissa admits she was afraid to answer.

"I don't open my door to strangers, or anyone really, that I don't know or recognize,” said Melissa. “So, after he walked away, I checked my camera."

And that security camera showed Tyler flashing her husband's wallet toward the lens before placing it under the doormat and continuing on handing out those fliers without giving the decision a second thought.

"I went back to go see if the money was still there because if it was, I was going to keep knocking,” Tyler said. “And that's when Melissa and her two girls came out and we hugged."

And at a time when kindness can feel like it's in short supply, this trustworthy teen is a reminder that true character -- counts.
    Anyone else think this kid is a tool and an idiot for doing that? Does he not know that the iPhone X is coming out "soon" and will be $999? Not to mention he could have bought a Switch, Xbox One, or even a PS4 after getting the phone. What a friggin idiot if you ask me!
    Since nobody seems to get sarcasm on the internet I had to edit/add to my post. Yeah keeping the wallet with that much cash in it would have been wrong & its great that he gave it back and even went back a second time to make sure someone actually got it. What I said in another reply to this post is that had it been only $20-50 I probably wouldn't have returned the cash but might have mailed the wallet back to the person.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2017-09-21 at 03:39 AM. Reason: people don't get sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I’ve found phones, and a wallet before, and returned them...

Why is he a tool? The money/wallet was not his, he did the honest thing and should be commended for it.
    For the OP to comment in such a way, I feel he doesn't have the highest of moral fibers. What this kid did is what we need more of these days.

Good kid. Plenty of adults could stand to learn from him too.

OP sounds like a kid that needed an ass-whooping but didn't get one.

Deleted
    This is news?
    It's what you teach your children to do.

The way you are writing does make this seem like bait to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    LINK HERE

Anyone else think this kid is a tool and an idiot for doing that? Does he not know that the iPhone X is coming out "soon" and will be $999? Not to mention he could have bought a Switch, Xbox One, or even a PS4 after getting the phone. What a friggin idiot if you ask me!
    Sounds like he dodged a bullet really, you would have to be a consumer whore of Kardashian proportions to want any of those things.

I returned a wallet at work once only for security to come by the next day and accuse me of stealing from it because it was the only reason someone would return a wallet. I was heart broken.

LINK HERE

It's a good thing nobody asked you. Someday I hope you have something worth losing, and I hope you lose it permanently so you understand the feeling. Don't take shit that doesn't belong to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    I returned a wallet at work once only for security to come by the next day and accuse me of stealing from it because it was the only reason someone would return a wallet. I was heart broken.
    I've had that happen to me before. Someone dropped their wallet at the mall, I didn't want to carry it out in the open so I put it into my pocket and walked straight to security. They accused me of stealing it because it wasn't in plain sight the whole time.

Heart broken?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would have kept the cash.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait.. this is a newsworthy thing? I've handed in easily over $5k in lost money over my life. It was just always taught as the respectable thing to do.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's jacked. I could see that happening, though.

I'd likely keep the cash, no bones about it. I've only ever found wallets with 5-20 bucks in it though, I justify a free lunch for returning your non-cash valuables. Certainly wouldn't commit credit card fraud though.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    It's a good thing nobody asked you. Someday I hope you have something worth losing, and I hope you lose it permanently so you understand the feeling. Don't take shit that doesn't belong to you.
    I have had 3 pair of glasses stolen out of my car a different times. All three of them were Ray Bans costing $250-350 and were all prescription glasses (one was prescription sunglasses). I was livid that someone came inside my car and took something that someone else couldn't even freakin use. This kid found money and could have used it. He's a tool for not doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Heart broken?
    Yeah. I lost a little more hope in humanity that day.

I have had 3 pair of glasses stolen out of my car a different times. All three of them were Ray Bans costing $250-350 and were all prescription glasses (one was prescription sunglasses). I was livid that someone came inside my car and took something that someone else couldn't even freakin use. This kid found money and could have used it. He's a tool for not doing so.
    Ah but it is you who are the tool when it comes down to it.

No good deed remains unpunished.

I don't really get out much, but if I found a wallet with ID in it, even if it was stuffed with cash, i'd return it. Just finding like an envelope of money with no identification in or on it whatsoever would make me keep it, but knowing I can easily return the wallet would make me want to do to that.

Just as anyone else should do.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Wait.. this is a newsworthy thing? I've handed in easily over $5k in lost money over my life. It was just always taught as the respectable thing to do.
    Unfortunately being honest and altruistic indeed seems to be newsworthy these days. I haven't found anything that valuable, but yeah, I was raised the same way.

I honestly can't understand how can someone live without feelings of guilt if they steal something. It should be obvious that just because you pick up something that someone else has lost doesn't make it yours.

Speaking of honesty and wallets, it reminds me of this:

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...iment-01_0.png

So instead of using that money to improve his and his family's lives, he returns it to feel good about himself? How selfish.

Are you for real OP? I guess after your smoking thread it kind of confirms my picture of you :P.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol what kind of shit hole do you hail from?