Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Building new rig/upgrade

After having considered building a new rig for a few months, and now sitting here with a borked CPU (bluescreen hell ), it's time to get a new rig. It's been 5.5 years (again) since I build my last rig (thread here), and now I need something new kinda ASAP

Old specs:
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Boxed
    PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    GPU: XFX HD-687X-CDFC 2GB
    MoBo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    HDD: Hitachi HDP725050GLA SCSI Disk Device (2x 500GB disks, kinda ancient [~15 years] but still proficient, SATA ports, is that still a thing? :P)
    SSD: 128GB Corsair Neutron (I believe)

Usage: mostly gaming, WoW, D3, some OW, got Witcher 3 in my directory which I'd like to play on decently high settings.
    Budget: €500-800 (depending on what can be salvaged)
    Nationality: Dutch (I'll most likely be getting my stuff via this compare-site: tweakers.net)

Now obviously I need a new CPU, and it's probably better to upgrade my GPU and MoBo, is there anything else that's in need of upgrading? I haven't really kept up with the latest specs, which I'll read up on in the meantime.

Not asking you to build my rig from the get-go, just start with some pointers in which way I should look, and we can go from there.

Small question: what is the point where I need to buy a new Windows OEM?
    What? Why? When? Who? Which? How? Wait...
    Havoc Demon Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! The thick plottens.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradar View Post
    After having considered building a new rig for a few months, and now sitting here with a borked CPU (bluescreen hell ), it's time to get a new rig. It's been 5.5 years (again) since I build my last rig (thread here), and now I need something new kinda ASAP

Old specs:
    HDD: Hitachi HDP725050GLA SCSI Disk Device (2x 500GB disks, kinda ancient [~15 years] but still proficient, SATA ports, is that still a thing? :P)

Usage: mostly gaming, WoW, D3, some OW, got Witcher 3 in my directory which I'd like to play on decently high settings.
    Nationality: Dutch (I'll most likely be getting my stuff via this compare-site: tweakers.net)

Now obviously I need a new CPU, and it's probably better to upgrade my GPU and MoBo, is there anything else that's in need of upgrading? I haven't really kept up with the latest specs, which I'll read up on in the meantime.

Not asking you to build my rig from the get-go, just start with some pointers in which way I should look, and we can go from there.

You can keep at least the case, PSU and ssd - 15 years old for a HDD is extremely risky and having all of your data disappear overnight without warning is not fun.

Old specs:

What are your BSOD codes, it may be a single component dying. If your lucky its just the RAM. If this turns out to be the case, get new ram and a new GPU like the ones i'll list later on.

If you don't want to go that route, you're looking at replacing your GPU, CPU/MoBo/Ram, and getting a new storage drive and if your PSU is older than 5 years get a new one of those.

For CPU/MoBo/Ram you have 2 options. Intel i5-7600k or i7 7700k a z270 board and 8gb of ram you will need to buy a cooler for these. Or ryzen 5 (1500x or 1600x if you dont want to OC or 1400/1600 if you're willing to) with a B350 motherboard and 8gb of ram @2667hz or higher.
    For Ryzen vs Intel, the intel is technically better for just gaming. If you plan on heavily multitasking, ryzen will pull ahead. Also, Ryzen is going to give you more performance per dollar than the Intel. If your trying to stay more budget oriented, go with the ryzen. If you really need to go budget, Ryzen 3 1300x(1200 OC) may also be an option.
    For GPU, you have 3(4) real tiers if you plan on playing at 1080p. 1050, 1050ti and 1060 either model. If you don't plan on playing higher than 1080p don't go higher than a 1060 6gb model or a RX 580(AMD) 8gb. Since you play some higher end titles like witcher 3, the 1060 3gb should be a safe bet, but that is going to be your call.

For a storage drive get a WD Blue 1TB. It will serve you well.

**Edit I should note, intels new line of CPUs are coming out soon, however, they look to be on the expensive side. If you can wait a month it would be advised. However, based on your needs that may not be possible at which what i listed may be your best options.
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-09-20 at 06:13 PM.

Now obviously I need a new CPU
    Not necessarily. If it was the first generation of i5 then you would need to change it, but Sandy Bridge (2*** series) holds its ground pretty well. In gaming your 2500k (even without overclocking) would be on par with modern i5-7400 or even better because of higher clocks (but it obviously heavily dependent on the game itself).

First you need to locate your bluescreen problem. It could be just memory as already stated above. If you're on Win10 then you can read the bluescreen logs and see the error codes. Windows 7 is even easier as it shows right on its bluescreen messsage.
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-09-20 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Not necessarily. If it was the first generation of i5 then you would need to change it, but Sandy Bridge (2*** series) holds its ground pretty well. In gaming your 2500k (even without overclocking) would be on par with modern i5-7400 or even better because of higher clocks (but it obviously heavily dependent on the game itself).

First you need to locate your bluescreen problem. It could be just memory as already stated above. If you're on Win10 then you can read the bluescreen logs and see the error codes. Windows 7 is even easier as it shows right on its bluescreen messsage.
    This^^. Thanks said it better than i would've.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post

It's definitely my CPU that's causing the bluescreens. I ran a CPU stress test and about 5mins in it bluescreened. I also dropped it off at a repair shop, and they said the same. They tried with a different CPU, and that ran fine. And now it's BSODing at the Windows logo startup screen, so it's dead
    @teamkiller: Solid advice, thanks. Build is 5.5 years old so I guess a new PSU is also in order. I'll do some searching tomorrow and come back at y'all with a component list.
    Last edited by Maradar; 2017-09-20 at 08:33 PM.
    Havoc Demon Hunter

It's definitely my CPU that's causing the bluescreens. I ran a CPU stress test and about 5mins in it bluescreened. I also dropped it off at a repair shop, and they said the same. They tried with a different CPU, and that ran fine. And now it's BSODing at the Windows logo startup screen, so it's dead
    @teamkiller: Solid advice, thanks. Build is 5.5 years old so I guess a new PSU is also in order. I'll do some searching tomorrow and come back at y'all with a component list.
    If you'd like, post a budget target, what games you'd like to play at a resolution and list if you have any preferences (AMD/Intel/nVidia) and i can come up with a few options for you.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    If you'd like, post a budget target, what games you'd like to play at a resolution and list if you have any preferences (AMD/Intel/nVidia) and i can come up with a few options for you.
    If you don't mind doing that, that'd be awesome. Don't have any preferences in brands. Though after having seen this comparison I'm already leaning more towards the Ryzen 5 1500x. But I'd like to see what you can come up with

Usage: mostly gaming, WoW, D3, some OW, got Witcher 3 in my directory which I'd like to play on decently high settings at 1080p. Not really heavy multi-tasking, just some YT or other websites on my other monitor.
    Budget: €500-800 (will probably lean more towards €800)
    Last edited by Maradar; 2017-09-21 at 05:59 AM.
    Havoc Demon Hunter

If you don't mind doing that, that'd be awesome. Don't have any preferences in brands. Though after having seen this comparison I'm already leaning more towards the Ryzen 5 1500x. But I'd like to see what you can come up with

Usage: mostly gaming, WoW, D3, some OW, got Witcher 3 in my directory which I'd like to play on decently high settings at 1080p. Not really heavy multi-tasking, just some YT or other websites on my other monitor.
    Budget: €500-800 (will probably lean more towards €800)
    Im using amazon dutch as its the only known retailer on pcpartpicker.
    Ryzen
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€177.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€71.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€177.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€48.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card (€215.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€54.29 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Total: €746.04
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-21 19:44 CEST+0200

Intel
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (€214.90 @ Caseking)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€32.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€112.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€177.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€48.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card (€215.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€54.29 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
    Total: €855.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-21 19:47 CEST+0200

I'd go with the Ryzen build. I think its brings a good balance and if you can find another way to get windows cheap (kinguiin with buyers protection), I would get a nice new case. If you opt for a new case, just make sure you have at least 1 intake fan in front and an exhuast fan in back. If you really like a case but doesn't have those two, purchase a couple of fans.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome, thanks!

I think I'm indeed going for the Ryzen build. Do you recommend going for Win10? I've got a (used) Win7 OEM but I don't know if I can use that again...
    I will look for a new case as well.
    Havoc Demon Hunter

Awesome, thanks!

I think I'm indeed going for the Ryzen build. Do you recommend going for Win10? I've got a (used) Win7 OEM but I don't know if I can use that again...
    I will look for a new case as well.
    I personally feel 10 is better in most cases than 7. You will continue to get support for it and its boot times are significantly better than 7.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    I personally feel 10 is better in most cases than 7. You will continue to get support for it and its boot times are significantly better than 7.
    Righto.

Not everything on the list is shippable to the Netherlands unfortunately. I'm compiling a list on where I can get it from, might need some different versions that are available to me.
    @teamkiller I've found this PSU, as the EVGA one you recommended isn't available to me: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W, €49. Whadaya think? Around same wattage, also 80+ Bronze (whatever that means )
    Or this PSU: Corsair VS450, 1 euro cheaper than the Seasonic.
    Also, as your RAM isn't available as well: Same specs as yours, except 3.2GHz, €151.95

Total: €749.75, including shipping.
    Thoughts?

Found a Win10 OEM for ~€15, so that's settled.
    Can I put this in my Cooler Master HAF 912 plus (until I find a suitable case if necessary)?

EDIT: From what I read up on, the build I made using your recommendations should be good. In about 20mins I'll buy it, so I can get it delivered tomorrow.
    EDIT2: Bought it . Thanks for all the help! Feedback is still appreciated.
    Last edited by Maradar; 2017-09-21 at 08:26 PM.
    Havoc Demon Hunter

Righto.

Not everything on the list is shippable to the Netherlands unfortunately. I'm compiling a list on where I can get it from, might need some different versions that are available to me.
    @teamkiller I've found this PSU, as the EVGA one you recommended isn't available to me: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W, €49. Whadaya think? Around same wattage, also 80+ Bronze (whatever that means )
    Or this PSU: Corsair VS450, 1 euro cheaper than the Seasonic.
    Also, as your RAM isn't available as well: Same specs as yours, except 3.2GHz, €151.95

Total: €749.75, including shipping.
    Thoughts?

Found a Win10 OEM for ~€15, so that's settled.
    Can I put this in my Cooler Master HAF 912 plus (until I find a suitable case if necessary)?

EDIT: From what I read up on, the build I made using your recommendations should be good. In about 20mins I'll buy it, so I can get it delivered tomorrow.
    EDIT2: Bought it . Thanks for all the help! Feedback is still appreciated.
    No problem, that supply (seasonic) has been recommended quite a bit on these forums so it should be good. I usually go with the EVGA 500bs because they're cheap and efficient in the states at least. The ram should be fine just a warning for when you build your computer, do not be surprised if you don't get the rated speed with Ryzen. Either way you will at least get 2133 speed and the ram will be supported at minimum. The extra speed on the ram does help and is always recommended but if you cant achieve it, you really wont suffer much loss (5-8%) maybe 5-10 frames on really high demands.

As for the rating. 80+ bronze means its better than the standard of 80+ which is an effieceny rating of a PSU. 80+ means its at least 80% efficient along its entire power curve. The bronze means it hits the specs for a bronze rating. To give you an idea of efficiency if you don't understand it. That 520 power supply will put out 520 watts stably. At max draw with a 80+ rating, it will pull 520/.8 (650) Watts of power from the wall. With that set up you should be around 260-300W at most. The standard of bronze at a 50% draw is around 86% efficiency.
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-09-21 at 08:56 PM.