Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Playing tackle football before age 12 linked to neurological problems later in life

Children who start playing tackle football before the age of 12 are twice as likely to develop emotional and cognitive difficulties compared with those who start later in life, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The report by the Boston University School of Medicine further fuels debates about the risk of concussions in contact sports and when, or if, children should be allowed to play.

In British Columbia, tackle football is open to children starting at the age of nine.

Joe Gluska, the president of the B.C. Community Football Association, said although young children are playing the contact version of the sport, the rules have been changed to try to keep them safer.

"We've changed a number of the rules in regards to blocking and tackling and trying to eliminate that with the equipment," he told CBC Early Edition host Rick Cluff.

"At the championship level, we've taken out the kickoff and kickoff return."
    'Rules are better'

Gluska said that in his decades of coaching youth football, the majority of children he saw who suffered a head injury while playing were not tackled.

"The kids that ended up with a head trauma fell on the ground and then they fell back and hit their head but that is everywhere," Gluska said. "Those types of issues can't be eliminated from any sport or activity."

Research by Boston University, however, suggests that athletes who engage in contact sports are more likely to sustain severe and recurring head injuries.

Gluska said there is always risk in sports, but the game is much safer than it was for previous generations of children.

"It's not like when I started playing in 1960," he said. "Rules are better. Equipment is better. Coaches are better instructed — there is no leading with the head. The head isn't a weapon like it was back in that period of time."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...e-12-1.4300830

What kind of parent is gonna allow their kids to play this sport. Stick to cycling, tennis, basketball etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

What kind of parent is gonna allow their kids to play this sport. Stick to cycling, tennis, basketball etc.
    You do know that depending on the data you look at basketball and cycling creates as many or more injuries than football, right?

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...tics_90,P02787

Almost 50 percent of head injuries sustained in sports or recreational activities occur during bicycling, skateboarding, or skating incidents.
    Football. Almost 215,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for football-related injuries.
    Bicycling. More than 200,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries.
    Basketball. More than 170,000 children ages 5 to 14 were treated in hospital emergency rooms for basketball-related injuries.
    https://www.healthgrades.com/conditi...cause-injuries

Basketball Causes the Most Injuries
    Basketball is a popular sport—more than 26 million youngsters ages 12 to 17 play it—but it causes the most injuries for players of all ages. Roughly 570,000 players were treated for injuries in the United States in 2012,
    Football Injuries Are Common in Teens
    In 2012, more than 466,000 Americans were treated for injuries related to football,
    Ice Hockey Causes the Most Concussions
    Ice hockey isn’t as popular as basketball, football and soccer. Nonetheless, of the roughly 3 million teen ice hockey players in the United States, nearly 10,000 are injured every year. Thirty-one percent of those injuries are concussions, which is more than any other team sport.

Still want to let your kids cycle or play basketball? What kind of parent are you?
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2017-09-22 at 02:48 AM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You do know that depending on the data you look at basketball and cycling creates as many or more injuries than football, right?

Still want to let your kids cycle or play basketball? What kind of parent are you?
    I agree. It is truly unfortunate when the Tennisaces of the world care so little for our children's well being. Shame!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I agree. It is truly unfortunate when the Tennisaces of the world care so little for our children's well being. Shame!
    It's tragic... its almost as if they are world leaders in not caring about the well-being of our children or something.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account

The irony here is not lost on me.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess we know what the OP did as a child, eh?

If only Tennisace cared about kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I guess we know what the OP did as a child, eh?
    got stuffed into lockers and received many wedgies.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Lots of sports can be bad for you if you're too young. That's why any kind of sports should be taken lightly as a child.

I raced BMX from 12-17 and played basketball from 0-16 until BMX took up too much of my time. Also played football with friends that entire time too. I have 3 major concussions, a spinal fracture, broken wrist, stitches, and a skin graft from BMX. I wish I had stayed playing basketball and football. Never hurt in either. This includes summer league with college and D league players in my 20s.

Deleted
    I played hockey from like 6. Fun and violent. "And I turned out fine!"

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post

https://www.healthgrades.com/conditi...cause-injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    First post best post.
    Someone has to be that guy so I guess it will be me.

How many people grow up playing basketball or cycle in comparison to football? Statistics are nice unless they're ignorantly used.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I raced BMX from 12-17 and played basketball from 0-16 until BMX took up too much of my time. Also played football with friends that entire time too. I have 3 major concussions, a spinal fracture, broken wrist, stitches, and a skin graft from BMX. I wish I had stayed playing basketball and football. Never hurt in either. This includes summer league with college and D league players in my 20s.
    Likewise. Played basketball and football (JV max) at a SoCal powerhouse and tore my ACL and dislocated my ankle minimum. The way you begin to feel at 30 is huge and I can't wait to see how it is at 50. Some are fine eventually living on painkillers, some aren't--to all their own.

I have to agree with Tenn. I got as field where they practice peewee tackle across the street from me and I've seen more than a few 10-12 year olds KOd on the field, dozens limping off and an ambulance was called when a kid did something to his leg. I do question what parent would let a kid do that.

Sure other sports and activities have dangers, cycling Im going to bet a lot of the head injuries are a result of not wearing a helmet. You can't make contact football more safe, if not possible.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post

How many people grow up playing basketball or cycle in comparison to football? Statistics are nice unless they're ignorantly used.

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise. Played basketball and football (JV max) at a SoCal powerhouse and tore my ACL and dislocated my ankle minimum. The way you begin to feel at 30 is huge and I can't wait to see how it is at 50. Some are fine eventually living on painkillers, some aren't--to all their own.
    by being 'that' guy you didn't bother looking deeper... but thats okay its probably because of the pain in are in.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

A parent with a male child I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted

Why not eSport?

Getting bashed when you're a fragile child can fuck you up... No shit.

Quote Originally Posted by noipmahc-omm View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I was playing ball up until 30, but I got fat, I mean I'm not really fat but when you go from 6 foot 185 to 6 foot 240, athleticism decreases. I still run 5 miles like it's no big deal though, which pisses people off.

BTW, folks, if you don't realize, it's because Donald essentiallly said last night than anti-concussion measures in footballs are for pansies.

We are used to this in Canada, where sport jocks who never put a sake on the ice cried like little girls that goalies wearing face protection were ''pansies''.