Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Any Thai red curry fans?

Got sick of paying restaurant prices for one of my favorite dishes, so I started making it in bulk at home. Now I admit it doesn't match authentic Thai red curry, but it is pretty damn close.

1 Bottle of Thai Red Curry Paste

2 Cans of Coconut Milk

4 Tbs of Premium Fish Sauce

4 Tbs of Brown Granulated Sugar and Black Pepper to taste (I use about 1 Tbs)

2lbs Chicken = cut into bite sized pieces and cook them by boiling it. This is the cheap and easy way to "velvet" chicken. The real way requires cornstarch, oil, and being a master of flash frying - which I am not. A lot quicker with boil method. I find that "grilling" the chicken in regular means (skillet, oven, etc etc) makes it too tough and also takes to long.

The above contents should be poured into a large cooking pan and brought to a simmer and mixed until your "soup" is a nice thick red stuff. You can always alter the contents to taste, but I like the classic sweet/spicy of the coconut milk/paste and some pepper, so I'm pretty generous.

Dump the cooked chicken into it, mix up, cover and let simmer 15 minutes. You can add any type of veggies to this. Peppers, broccoli, or even thinly sliced taters. Eat as is, or with rice. There will be plenty of "soup" in the mix, so most people pour this over the rice.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-09-21 at 10:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    2lbs Chicken = cut into bite sized pieces and cook them by boiling it. This is the cheap and easy way to "velvet" chicken. The real way requires cornstarch, oil, and being a master of flash frying - which I am not. A lot quicker with boil method. I find that "grilling" the chicken in regular means (skillet, oven, etc etc) makes it too tough and also takes to long.
    Seal the chicken in hot oil, so it's the cooked colour all over (but not in the middle), you'll have to move it around a bit but if the oils hot this'll only take a couple of minutes.

Then put it IN with the paste, coconut milk and whatever else you want in there and let is simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through.

It won't dry out because you're cooking it in liquid, and you're not wasting any chicken flavour by boiling it away in the water I can only assume you throw away afterwards?
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2017-08-30 at 06:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's probably 20 Thai restaurants within 10 miles of me, none of them are very expensive so I haven't made much myself.

I like some eggplant in there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    There's probably 20 Thai restaurants within 10 miles of me, none of them are very expensive so I haven't made much myself.

I like some eggplant in there too.
    Eggplant with fried tofu is heavenly with red curry.

Those pre-made pastes have hella salt and fillers. If you already have the fish sauce you can just start up your own paste.
    Fish sauce
    Shrimp Paste or Olive Oil
    Ground bird's eye pepper (or cayenne)
    Lemongrass
    Cumin
    Coriander
    Sugar to taste
    Salt to taste, the fish sauce and shrimp paste already bring some saltiness
    Crushed garlic

Then some lime juice

If you're a fan of Panang or Malaysian curry, just add kaffir lime leaves and some cardamom.

Yellow Curry >>> all others

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm more partial to green curry when it comes to Thai curry dishes. But I'm a sucker for curry in general.

Deleted
    My GF makes it with rice and jumbo shrimps. Without fish sauce.

We were thinking of trying to make a red curry but gave up. We might try it again with this recipe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Went to Thailand. Was never offered red curry. What did I do wrong?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope Tai,Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese Korean food.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We were thinking of trying to make a red curry but gave up. We might try it again with this recipe.
    This was the most simple one I could find. When I originally hunted for a recipe I was really turned off with the amount of ingredients most called for when all I wanted was a quick simple dish.

A lot of recipes call for more detailed stuff like thai basil, or paste made from scratch, blah blah blah.

When I found this recipe the writer was like, "You can add all that other stuff, but I can't damn tell difference. The coconut milk and curry paste should be the primary flavor".

Give it a shot.

I read that curry was originally used to be able to stomach eating meat that had started to go bad since they didn't have refrigeration and were in hot climates, so you can't taste that the meat is starting to rot.

Ever since then I just don't eat much curry. I keep thinking the meat's going to be bad. I know that's not the case anymore. Add to that a couple of times I've had really poor quality chicken when ordering curry, and I've just kinda written it off as a dish.

I eat all type of curry every week almost lol, cultural appropriations!

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Ever since then I just don't eat much curry. I keep thinking the meat's going to be bad. I know that's not the case anymore. Add to that a couple of times I've had really poor quality chicken when ordering curry, and I've just kinda written it off as a dish.
    Dude thats why you gotta make it yourself. Self made Yellow curry is ridiculous good. Im salivating just thinking about it with some vegetables, chicken and a good white rice.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Red curry makes for some fucking awesome soups.

Hmm, Massaman curry looks interesting.

Probably brought to Thailand by Persian traders, it uses cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, cumin, bay leaves, and nutmeg. I'm familiar with most of those through Greek cooking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaman_curry

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Red curry makes for some fucking awesome soups.
    I admit, slurping up the broth at the end of a bowl is my favorite part.

The Thai place across from where I work has green, red and massaman curry dishes. They are all pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    When I found this recipe the writer was like, "You can add all that other stuff, but I can't damn tell difference. The coconut milk and curry paste should be the primary flavor".

Give it a shot.
    That is pretty shocking TBH. I went on a cooking course in Phuket just last year and among other things we hand pounded all our spices in a pestle and mortar. There is simply no comparison, you can make the paste and freeze it for 6 months so it is not really a good excuse. It was hands down the best Thai food I have ever had(cooked ourselves a 3 course meal), even the restaurants in Thailand take shortcuts it seems.

I was also surprised to learn the difference between green and red curry is a. swap the green chilies for red ones(for the red colour) and b. Hold the basil(coriander and basil are what make green curry green) and you have yourself a thai red curry. Other than that it is all the same ingredients.

Oh yeah, Thai basil is slightly sweet so it is not just being picky. Stuff from the tins probably has a boatload of flavour enhancers to hide anything you might add on top of it.

On getting your chicken nice and succulent - on medium heat once you have added your coconut milk to your paste and it has started boiling, lay the chicken on top of the curry sauce in the pan. DO NOT PLAY WITH IT, lay it there and flip it once when you need to to cook it through. The more you stir the more dry the chicken will get. Don't ask me to explain why, it amazes me still. Will be really tough with 2lbs of chicken, you might have to dial the portion size down.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never had Curry what does or is it supposed to taste like, anything to compare it too?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis