Page 1 of 29
... LastLast
    Deleted

Unrest in Spain: the Spanish government is taking control of the Catalan police force

Spain takes control of Catalan police

The Spanish government is taking control of the Catalan police force, the Mossos d'Esquadra. The Catalan police command will therefore be controlled from Madrid, and not Barcelona. The decision implies stripping the Catalan government of its policing powers. The prosecutor has ordered that the Catalan police, the Spanish National Police and Spain's Guardia Civil be managed from the Ministry of Home Affairs in Madrid. The decision, according to the prosecution, aims at "reinforcing the operation to prevent crime and to keep public order" a week before the October 1 independence referendum.

On Wednesday, Spain's Guardia Civil arrested 15 people over the referendum. 13 of them were high-ranking Catalan government officials. They were released, in some cases after 48 hours in custody, and charged with misappropriation of funds, breach of official duty and disobedience.

Source: http://catalannews.com/news/item/spa...catalan-police

This long running conflict and wish for independence seems to escalate rapidly. I wonder what will happen when serious protests will errupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    [B]]

This long running conflict and wish for independence seems to escalate rapidly. I wonder what will happen when serious protests will errupt.
    Nothing.

The whole thing is a political pissing contest between two political power blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Nothing will happen, they won't get full independence.
    Which is a shame imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Which is a shame imo.
    It's not. Seperationism is a sickness that has to be cured. The solution to today's world's problems is solidarity, not walls and borders.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's not. Seperationism is a sickness that has to be cured. The solution to today's world's problems is solidarity, not walls and borders.
    In general, or just in this particular case? I'm not really read on to the details of this one.

Even if you hate the EU with a passion, there is a point where petty nationalism start to get self destructive...

It's not. Seperationism is a sickness that has to be cured.
    It's not a sickness at all. It was an independence movement that created the US and I applaud any entity's rights to succession and independence. Whether it's Kurdistan, Somaliland, Western Sahara, Catalonia, Quebec, Palestine, etc.

Hell, I don't support (nor am I against) states succeeding from the Union, but if Texas wanted to declare itself a Republic, if California wanted to go it's own or if Hawaii wanted to reestablish its monarchy and declare itself a kingdom again, I would wish them good luck.

Who are you to decide about the world mr. dictator. Let each place have elections and chose democratically their own path and fate. For good or wrong, people should be free to choose.

No borders type of people are fringe nutcases that nobody should listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Who are you to decide about the world mr. dictator. Let each place have elections and chose democratically their own path and fate. For good or wrong, people should be free to choose.
    Except that you might overheard that separatism caused terrible strife in Europe

Cue to Basque separatism and Catalan separatism, who spent the Civil War essentially sabotaging the Republican war effort, cue to them being mercilessly crushed by Franco.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    In general, or just in this particular case? I'm not really read on to the details of this one.
    In general. Problems don't vanish if you put a fence around them. Not that fences would work anyway in a globalized economy. Having 194 nations instead of 193 doesn't improve anything, and the bigger bureaucratic overhead is the least of the problems this causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No borders type of people are fringe nutcases that nobody should listen to.
    Borders are a temporary evil that will vanish eventually anyway. Not in my or your lifetime, though. Just look at a map from 100 years ago and compare it to today. That's a development that won't be stopped by a few deluded nationalists.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-09-23 at 12:53 PM.

But if you actually look at the Catalan and various other groups such as Andalusia you will see that they carry different cultures. These autonomous communities have always been rivals and knowing that it’s been only what over 40 years since Franco’s death these people want their own destiny and I don’t blame them. Theirs a lot of oppression and brutality that these people endured and they bitterly carry it like the Hebrew people do with the holocaust. It’s that bad. Secondly even Portugal started off as a distant kingdom related to monarchy of Spain before they broke off and created their own leadership because they wanted to rule themselves.
    Last edited by Taso; 2017-09-23 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    But if you actually look at the Catalan and various other groups such as Andalusia you will see that they carry different cultures. These autonomous communities have always been rivals and knowing that it’s been only what over 40 years since Franco’s death these people want their own destiny and I don’t blame them. Even Portugal started off as a distant kingdom related to monarchy of Spain before they broke off and created their own leadership because they wanted to rule themselves.
    There are hundreds if not thousands of different cultures alone in the city i live in, that is not an argument. Heck, we even have local rivalries with every neighbouring city.
    They want to secede for economic reasons anyway.

Borders are a temporary evil that will vanish eventually anyway. Not in my or your lifetime, though. Just look at a map from 100 years ago and compare it to today. That's a development that won't be stopped by a few deluded nationalists.
    No, they won't. The change that I see is that some borders have changed due to conflicts and acquisition of land by conquest and some places split into several states, such as India to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and Korea into North and South. It's not going to be a no borders world ever. No borders fringe nutcases can safely be ignored.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-23 at 12:59 PM.

No, they won't. The change that I see is that some borders have changed due to conflicts and acquisition of land by conquest and some places split into several states, such as India to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and Korea into North and South. It's not going to be a no borders world ever. Fringe nutcases can safely be ignored.
    Regional conflicts always lead to smaller secessions, that won't reverse the global development. Or do you think that living in a constant state of war for half a century is a good thing? Who knows how North Korea would look today if they hadn't been isolated.

Regional conflicts always lead to smaller secessions, that won't reverse the global development. Or do you think that living in a constant state of war for half a century is a good thing? Who knows how North Korea would look today if they hadn't been isolated.
    There is no global development that will cause borders to cease existing.

There is no global development that will cause borders to cease existing.
    There is. There are new multilateral treaties signed every day. Every single day, a border is weakened somewhere. You have to be very short sighted to deny this. Protectionism doesn't work, as shown hundreds of times in history. Some people still have to be educated on this matters. though. We have to strengthen economic and diplomatic bonds, everything else leads to confllict and suffering. The world has never been more peaceful than today.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-09-23 at 01:07 PM.

There is. There are new multilateral treaties signed every day. Every single day, a border is weakened somewhere. You have to be very short sighted to deny this.
    No, no borders are weakened.

No, they won't. The change that I see is that some borders have changed due to conflicts and acquisition of land by conquest and some places split into several states, such as India to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh and Korea into North and South. It's not going to be a no borders world ever. No borders fringe nutcases can safely be ignored.
    I don't have issue with open borders for continents. I think North America (counting Central America and Caribbean) should have open borders and we should be slightly more politically integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I don't have issue with open borders for continents. I think North America (counting Central America and Caribbean) should have open borders and we should be slightly more politically integrated.
    Good luck maintaining society when half of the world decides to move there then.