Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Any names, items, objects etc. you've pronounced wrong in WoW?

Today I found out I pronounced C'Thun wrong for more than 12 years... Apperently it's pronounced as Kuh-THOON and not Ceethoon as I always called him.

Any WoW related names or words that you found out you were pronouncing wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was new to the game I use to pronounce "Aggro" as "Arggoh" :P

For 13 years I pronounced "rogues" as "stealthingfags"

Fellsbadman.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    For 13 years I pronounced "rogues" as "stealthingfags"

Fellsbadman.
    lul

My friends pronounce sargeras sar-jer-as

7+ Year Old Account
    For the LONGEST time, I thought it was Trisifal (TRISS-ih-fall). Husband still makes fun of me for it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Until Legion I've always pronounced Sargeras as SarJeras.... yeah..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    My friends pronounce sargeras sar-jer-as
    Welp, I'm not alone, it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    In WoW I pronounced Sargeras wrong like the above poster.

But outside of WoW I would pronounce Ether from other RPG's wrong as well. I would say it in my head like you would pronounce the -eth in meth instead of it sounding like a long E sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Draenei.

I pronounced it Dray-knee (with a long flat British a because I'm British), as did all the Yanks I played with back then. (Dray-nor for the world, of course)

At some point, though, Blizzard largely settled on Dran-eye/Dran-or and the pronounciation seems to have been getting increasingly extreme, with them really draeweing iete ouete in the 7.3 cinematics.

Blizzard themselves have been inconsistent though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnXOP_91Mw

Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
    When I was new to the game I use to pronounce "Aggro" as "Arggoh" :P
    Aw man, I remember back in early EU WoW days, "argo" was all over the place. "U take argo", like what dude? I didn't steal a legendary Ancient Greek ship. I seriously remember a discussion about "argo" between two characters in a group back then that utterly mystified my until I realized it was about aggro!#

I mean, why not call it "Threat", which is what WoW actually calls it, but I guess some MMO traditions are hard to break, and EQ's aggro will stick with us for a long time.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2017-09-22 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Aw man, I remember back in early EU WoW days, "argo" was all over the place. "U take argo", like what dude? I didn't steal a legendary Ancient Greek ship. I seriously remember a discussion about "argo" between two characters in a group back then that utterly mystified my until I realized it was about aggro!#

I mean, why not call it "Threat", which is what WoW actually calls it, but I guess some MMO traditions are hard to break, and EQ's aggro will stick with us for a long time.
    Have a guild mate who started off in FF XI instead of EQ/WoW so he refers to it as hate lol.

OT: We have a guildy who pronounces like everything wrong.... Dalaran=Da-lair-ee-on, Chaos=Kei-os, etc.... it wears on you. And before anyone asks, he's american, from the south, and apparently an idiot lol.

Draenei as well for me. We have no diphthongs in Russian so I used to pronounce the "ae" part as two separate monophthongs. The result would look like this: ['drʌə'nei]. I know I suck when it comes to making a transcription but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Dalaran. Apparently it's "dollar-on", but at least I'm closer with "Dala-rahn" than most players, who say "Dala-ran" as in "I ran".

Also, we all technically say "Quel'thalas" wrong, because originally it was meant to be "Kel-thalas" but the VA in Warcraft 3 said "quell".

Deleted
    Had a friend who couldn't pronounce anything right to save his life.

Unfortunately I can't spell out how wrong though. He would pressure on the wrong parts of words, and mispronounce vowels all the time.

The best example I can give is normally you'd pronounce Sylvanas "Syl'va'nas" right? He called her "Syl'vanas" despite everyone saying the former, friends, NPCs etc

Someone in one of Kaif's videos on Youtube pronounced Kil'Jaden "Kil'Jadeen" and it still cracks me up.

I called auction house aduction house, I don't know why.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Everyone in my raid team says 'MEE - LEE' instead of 'may-lay'.

But for me, I actually used to think the 'Vrkyul' was spelled 'Vyrkul', so I used to think to myself "oh, the 'veer-cool".
    Dyslexia (and a mild case of not caring much) is cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Dalaran. Apparently it's "dollar-on", but at least I'm closer with "Dala-rahn" than most players, who say "Dala-ran" as in "I ran".

Also, we all technically say "Quel'thalas" wrong, because originally it was meant to be "Kel-thalas" but the VA in Warcraft 3 said "quell".
    My sister used to say 'da-LAR-en', kind of like Delorean (or however you spell the name of the car).
    She would also say 'kel-THOO-zud' for Kel'Thuzad.
    She had a habit of putting the wrong emPHASis on the wrong syLLABle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    No because i'm not an arrogant prick.
    What does that have to do with the thread? o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're in the wrong thread.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Auchindoun untill wod

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Have a guild mate who started off in FF XI instead of EQ/WoW so he refers to it as hate lol.

OT: We have a guildy who pronounces like everything wrong.... Dalaran=Da-lair-ee-on, Chaos=Kei-os, etc.... it wears on you. And before anyone asks, he's american, from the south, and apparently an idiot lol.
    How the fuck do you pronounce Chaos if not Kei-os?

7+ Year Old Account
    what does mispronouncing a word have to do with being an arrogant prick?

OT: for a long time i didnt realize that redridge mountains had the words red and ridge in it.
    so i kept pronouncing it as re-dri-ge (with a hard g) mountains.

and yes, i know, im an idiot.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2017-09-22 at 03:26 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    How the fuck do you pronounce Chaos if not Kei-os?
    I got the impression the person was pronouncing it was key-os.