Poll: What do you prefer?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you prefer fighting Big Threats or Small Time Outlaws?

Do you enjoy fighting Big Threats like Old Gods or you prefer fighting Pirates, Thiefs, Mad Scientists, Vampires, Werewolves etc

I don't know why but i prefer fighting small time outlaws. My favorite instance is the old Deadmines for example and i have no idea why.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-09-24 at 03:58 PM.

A bit of both, but if I had to chose to only have one kind of threat, I'd go with small. The "I AM OH SO POWERFUL OF A HERO THAT DESTROYED EVERY THREAT AND LOL THE BURNING LEGION ONLY KILLED 4 PERSONS" approach is really not what makes me feel epic, despite hype cinematics.

Both, but neither is the problem.

The problem with WoW villains is that they are all carbon copies

1. They all hate you because they hate all mortals
    2. They routinely call you 'mortal filth'
    3. They all don't just want your destruction, but EVERYTHINGS destruction. The entire universe.
    4. They all die with the line "this is not over" or "fools, you dont know what you're doing!" or some other bullshit.

The villains are not interesting.

Not every villain has to be immortal. Not every villain has to hate all mortals. Not every villain has to want the destruction of the universe. Not all villains have to die by telling us we're idiots and just made a big mistake.

But hey, we're talking about Blizzard writers.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A bit of both! But since latelly we've been fighting universe-ending threats, I want the next xpac to be about a lesser azerothian threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want an entire expansion designed around some pirate lord though.
    That would simply feel ridiculously pathetic, considering that we are now used to operate on a scale of cosmic fate.

If they'd introduce "small threats" now, I doubt any player would be able to take such a threat seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Big threats" were fine when it was limited to people like Illidan and Arthas (with additional help on our end); however, now "big threat" means fighting Titans. Help, at that point, doesn't matter. Warcraft has jumped the shark.

Balance of both. Can't live on a high note all the time, needs variety.

A bit of both is fine but I prefer the smaller threats because I will always see my characters as being "nameless" adventurers helping out those in need occasionally getting in over their head and dealing with bigger threats. I hate what they have turned us into.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That would simply feel ridiculously pathetic, considering that we are now used to operate on a scale of cosmic fate.

If they'd introduce "small threats" now, I doubt any player would be able to take such a threat seriously.
    I dunno why. It would be a blast to play in a pirate filled expansion. Take to thme seas. Try to bring the Pirate Lords to justice. I'd play the hell out of it. The current state of the game being "every boss is a world ender" is stale as fuck.

Van Cleef and Darion Mograine are my two favourite characters in wow. I found them more entertaining than some of the bigger threats we've had to face.

It's important to have both in a game like wow, the main goal and the big threat are supposed to be the pillars of the story, but side characters that we encounter is what makes the entire storyline a great experience, depending on how well they were written and shown in-game.

I'm not sure, there haven't been compelling villains in the whole history of WoW. Being evil for the sake of being evil is boring. This cartoony black/white-thing is superboring.

I don't think WoW can really go back to having any small threats people care about

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the mid-tier threats, like Naxxramas and ZG.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    I don't think WoW can really go back to having any small threats people care about
    If done right, I think it most certainly can be pulled off. It's all about execution.

Kind of funny honestly, people have been wanting "small time outlaws" as you put it since Cataclysm.

I think MoP was PERFECT when it comes to the enemies we should be facing.

> mostly unknown enemies to the players, that are explained to us why we are fighting them/their goal (Mantid/Sha)
    > Yet they advance the lore of the expansion and the game in general, they feel part of the whole of Azeroth (The Thunder King & Zandalari)
    > We feel the brunt of their assault, they don't just keel over and die after mocking us for being mortals (The Vale getting wrecked, Jade Forest getting wrecked)
    > The climactic finale is an important lore figure who isn't dumbly killed, can keep contributing to the story later (Garrosh)

I feel killing off major lore figures is a huge mistake Blizzard keeps making. They really ruined it killing off such big players like Illidan, Kael'Thas, and Deathwing. They at least brought Illidan back, though had to brush some stuff under the rug to make it work (Like the fact he was decapitated, etc).

I think Arthas' death was handled well. Though his entire presence throughout the expac was countless failure. Bolvar is doing way more as an LK and I like him more for it.

If I were in charge of directing the next expansion and if it -hypothetically- was a south seas/OGs expac. Id format it like

Main enemy and Raid 1 for launch - The Bloodsail Buccaneers. Lord Falrevere as the final boss, Plunder Isle as the raid.
    Main enemy and Raid 2 for first patch - The Makrura empire, corrupted by N'zoth. Naga bosses as well, maybe a murloc boss.
    Main enemy and raid 3 for second patch - dealing with Black Empire remnants, various bug bosses, taking place in Silithus/Azjol'Nerub/some "hive" of a sort where they all cohort under N'zoth having taken them from his brother OGs.
    Main enemy and raid 4 final patch - The Zandalari empire, led by king Rastakhan and Prophet Zul. The final boss not being king Rastakhan but N'zoth himself, having risen from the ocean.

This also effectively splits both Azshara and N'zoth getting offed in the same expac. Azshara can carry an expansion so would hate to see her die to a mid-expac raid.

Would lead into a good Azshara expac where N'zoth is killed (He is a weak OG btw, he's just a good mind warper), and Azshara having now realized her "master" was a weakling, decides to do the dirty work herself and the next expac is the naga invasion.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2017-09-24 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I dunno why. It would be a blast to play in a pirate filled expansion. Take to thme seas. Try to bring the Pirate Lords to justice. I'd play the hell out of it. The current state of the game being "every boss is a world ender" is stale as fuck.
    Pirate expansion would be my favorite of all time xD
    I just finished leveling up my rogue and i did some hardcore roleplay as a pirate. Transmoged and picked resembling talents as Outlaw.
    I laughed my ass off when the pirate in the Class Hall told me to do some quests pirate-related

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Warcraft's pirate lord is Duke Falrevere. He is still active, still a nuisance, and still needs to be killed.

Oh, and he's very South-Seas

The other Pirate Lord is neutral/friendly to us - Baron Revilgaz the lord of Booty Bay.

Deleted
    I'd have preferred to fight more factions than just these huge enemies but what I wanted would have required a really different direction for the game almost 10 years ago, I liked how bc did it with how we fought layers of the sunfury & illidari and eventually worked our way up.

A blend. Without the small threats the big threats wouldn't look important.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Pirate expansion would be my favorite of all time xD
    I just finished leveling up my rogue and i did some hardcore roleplay as a pirate. Transmoged and picked resembling talents as Outlaw.
    I laughed my ass off when the pirate in the Class Hall told me to do some quests pirate-related
    I doubt there will be a pirate expansion. Pirates are a very regional and minor threat, hardly worthy the attention of heroes that have bested old gods and dark titans. There may be a small sideplot with a small pirate antagonist, but that hardly suffices for a full blown expansion.