Waypoint Unlock Box

So, new item, Waypoint Unlock Box. Only for core game zones. Goes for 600gems per region (Ascalon, Kryta, Orr, Shiverpeak, Maguuma) or 2000 gems for all.

It says "account bound", but not sure if it applies to all future alts?

We were talking about this a while ago, unlocking some basic waypoints for alts after you've done it on mains. Not going to pay gems for it, since screw it, but the main discussion was about Legendary folks thinking it diminished the effort for world completion?

I"m not opposed to the purchase I guess, just not for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum: Dulfy says it's for only one character. Total rip off, screw that.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the tome for it about right. We also knew it was coming (people asked for it and it was datamined).

The only think I would possibly change is to require at least 1 actual map completion in your account.

Mounts have already trivialized map completion, HOT legendaries are are a lot easier to get in terms of map completion, whats worse than a core? Because that what map completion is for people with more than one legendary, waypoints being the dumbest part of it all.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yeah, but $25 per character? How do you determine which of your alts is worth unlocking everything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Addendum: Dulfy says it's for only one character. Total rip off, screw that.
    LOL, that is a total fucking rip off.

I just bought $100 in gems for a few things and gold conversion for the griffon. I'll just fly around the maps and unlock shit like that later.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Eh, $20ish for a full old-world unlock on a character isn't bad, especially if you consider how much time you'd be saving in terms of either traveling simply to unlock the necessary WP's for your personal story and especially in terms of world completion.

I can see it being a bit pricey for some, but I've no issues with it. It's purely convenience and it's purely optional, doesn't impact me in the slightest.

For the pile of characters I had that didn't have world completion done, this would've been worth it if it were account wide instead of character only.

Opportunity missed, Anet.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I hate these kinds of things in MMO games. It's convenience, yeah, but I don't like it. If you're on your 5th alt, you're probably not going to do map completion anyways, and if you're on your mc, you probably already completed 100% of the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Yeah, but $25 per character? How do you determine which of your alts is worth unlocking everything?
    No idea, I personally wouldnt buy it. If I did I guess I'd just do it how I did when I needed map completion on an alt, just go with the one with the most (well least in this case) stuff completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I hate these kinds of things in MMO games.
    Me too.
    The next thing you know, it is hard to unlock something and you have to pay $20.

I was thinking about buy the new expansion.
    Now I save myself $30.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Me too.
    The next thing you know, it is hard to unlock something and you have to pay $20.

Now I save myself $30.
    Sounds like you just wanted an excuse not to buy the xpac. The waypoints have nothing to do with the xpac since the core game is free and the expansions are self contained. How are the waypoints any different than lvl 80 boosts?

Seems a bit pointless to me. Unless you're a brand new player you probably already have map completion done on your main character (possibly more, I'm about to finish my 3rd personally) and are waypoints for your alts really worth that much money? The main important ones like world bosses, dungeon entrances, and rich ore nodes are all pretty quick to get to now that mounts are a thing.

I'm usually fine with convenience items like this, but this one just feels like it's designed to get money from new players who really should be unlocking those waypoints on their own by exploring the world.

At first I wasn't sure how to feel about this but the more I think about it-- it's whatever. I won't touch this with a 10 foot pole and ArenaNet WILL make money off this from lazy people. That's fine with me.

It's not exactly game changing. It's not the worst they could do to the gem store. And it's still a better deal than Keys.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Me too.

Now I save myself $30.
    All I have to say to this is: You're totally missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sae View Post
    I'm usually fine with convenience items like this, but this one just feels like it's designed to get money from new players who really should be unlocking those waypoints on their own by exploring the world.
    I thought about this a little bit and I kept coming to the conclusion that this will help exploration as much as it could hurt it. Some people are just down-right lazy and those are the people this item targets. Those people are probably going to randomly go to a WP now that they never would've gotten before-hand and this IS GW2. It doesn't take long for the Exploration-bug to kick in no matter where you are.
    Last edited by Siq1ne; 2017-10-04 at 04:53 AM.

I have some shared inventory slots, a few VIP portal things and the Living Story 3 scrolls in the binder thing. With that and mounts I can get anywhere around the world pretty quickly with a new char.

As an altaholic, I routinely run out to grab certain waypoints after maxing out and gearing up. Some of the bosses, and I still do Orr out of habit. The simple fact of it though is that the game IS that running, so I wouldn't be buying these anyway. I'm not building an alt just to do Golem or Svanir Shaman or something, it's because I want an X to do random things with.

What this seems "useful" for is the "endgame" crowd, I think. You just used an insta-80 or two, you're clearing the "important" zones and events, and someone says "Svanir Shaman" and links a waypoint, and you're like "but I haven't been there yet!" or "Why would I explore the starter zones?".

Now you can hop around to the "important" stuff for your Endgame.

Deleted
    It's really useful. Tried it : Full World completion was like 30% faster