10+ Year Old Account

Help with sound on iMac

Hi guys I take phone calls at home through VOIP and the sound on some calls is really low and it's hard for me to hear them.

I have my headphones turned all the way up in the system preferences and the volume in the program turned all the way up.

I've tried other headsets Jabra, Razer, they all seem the same volume.

My question would be is there a external sound card or an amplifier that would be louder than what's on the iMac?

10+ Year Old Account
    First make sure it's in the right port. I've seen some cases where people have it plugged into something like a subwoofer port, or aux or something. Also make sure your preferences are set to that as well.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    First make sure it's in the right port. I've seen some cases where people have it plugged into something like a subwoofer port, or aux or something. Also make sure your preferences are set to that as well.
    Ah yes, I should of mentioned my headset is a USB.

which VOIP software are you using? as it seems as you have tried different headsets that it may be the software that has its own volume settings.
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

Or don't use Apple hardware? I owned a Iphone 4S back in the day and easily the worst phone I ever had. Was forced to use a iMac for a while and it was easily the worst desktop I ever used... well hmm.. maybe it was the second worst behind that linux machine..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post
    which VOIP software are you using? as it seems as you have tried different headsets that it may be the software that has its own volume settings.
    The setting inside the software are already turned up all the way

Or don't use Apple hardware? I owned a Iphone 4S back in the day and easily the worst phone I ever had. Was forced to use a iMac for a while and it was easily the worst desktop I ever used... well hmm.. maybe it was the second worst behind that linux machine..
    I'm forced to use the iMac right now.

I've done pretty much everything I can to increase the volume on the software and the iMac. I am looking to see if there are external solutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think an external solution will help. This is a software issue, not a hardware one. If it were just audio ports, thats one thing. If multiple usb devices are showing the same result, there may be audio software thats conflicting or changing things.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Why do people posts these useless replies. Obviously he has to use his Imac, contrary to what you believe they arent garbage, I own both Mac and Windows, they both work fine, its usually user error when they dont work right....see what I did there?

OT:
    With the program open, open "Sound" under "System Preferences" and see if the volume is greyed out on the selected headphones.

BTW, Are you using Onsip?

Considering it's the exact same intel chips, chipsets, and Realtek audio systems that are in 99% of PCs, you should probably educate yourself before you look more like a moron.

too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't think an external solution will help. This is a software issue, not a hardware one. If it were just audio ports, thats one thing. If multiple usb devices are showing the same result, there may be audio software thats conflicting or changing things.
    This is more likely.

Either that or the VOIP software has internal volume controls that you aren't using/seeing.

Ventrilo (why do people still use that garbage?) does this every single time i start it up on my daily driver Mac. I have to re-set the input volume to something sane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Considering it's the exact same intel chips, chipsets, and Realtek audio systems that are in 99% of PCs, you should probably educate yourself before you look more like a moron.

too late.

- - - Updated - - -
    It is not about the hardware inside (in the case of the iMac), it is about the OS, its UI and especially the file system handling. Maybe you shouldn't assume things yourself before you look more like the thing you said (this isn't worth a infraction).

too late.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is not about the hardware inside (in the case of the iMac), it is about the OS, its UI and especially the file system handling. Maybe you shouldn't assume things yourself before you look more like the thing you said (this isn't worth a infraction).

too late.
    You need to stop.

Your wrong, plain and simple. Mac OS is just fine, some things are better on Mac, some on Windows. They each have their place.

He has a Mac, so shitting on his question topic for help on sound issues is already worth a infraction, where are the mods?

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    You need to stop.

Your wrong, plain and simple. Mac OS is just fine, some things are better on Mac, some on Windows. They each have their place.

He has a Mac, so shitting on his question topic for help on sound issues is already worth a infraction, where are the mods?
    I agree partly with your point but calling someone a "moron" for this isn't "justified", ever. Also he assumed things that were just false, starting to spout stuff about hardware which I was not referring to, and using that as justification for his insults. So while yes, my original point wasn't on point. His reply was totally off the mark.

No matter what, insulting others is worse then someone, appropriate or not, saying his opinion.
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2017-09-27 at 12:45 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    where are the mods?
    Watching everyone make fools of themselves.

Let's count this as a thread warning. Keep it on topic and be civil, or infractions will occur beyond this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree partly with your point but calling someone a "moron" for this isn't "justified", ever. Also he assumed things that were just false, starting to spout stuff about hardware which I was not referring to, and using that as justification for his insults. So while yes, my original point wasn't on point. His reply was totally off the mark.

No matter what, insulting others is worse then someone, appropriate or not, saying his opinion.
    I didn't call you names .. "moron" to be specific. I called you out for calling him basically a "moron".

Watching everyone make fools of themselves.

Let's count this as a thread warning. Keep it on topic and be civil, or infractions will occur beyond this point.
    Calling peoiple "fools" is something I expect from a member, not a moderator.
    These forums are full of other people telling others they bought crap, telling them they are stupid for their choices in hardware, fanboism etc. and nothing happens. I have seen people infracted for a lot less.

Moderators are suppose to moderate, when people come here for advice or suggestions they dont need to be berated for the choice of hardware they use. And when those people do, they lend no help to the person asking for help or the discussion.

Look at all the posts for people asking help and notice that when someone tells them they bought garbage, or berated them for the hardware they never come back to reply.

Those that behave this way are not of any use to the topic and should be infracted. We are all suppose to be here to help, yes our personal preferences come into to play, it is how you present it that makes it worth while.

"Or don't use Apple hardware?" added nothing to the discussion of his problem. Instead insulted him for using a iMac. These are "computer forums" Not PC only forums.

I didn't call you names .. "moron" to be specific. I called you out for calling him basically a "moron".

These forums are full of other people telling others they bought crap, telling them they are stupid for their choices in hardware, fanboism etc. and nothing happens. I have seen people infracted for a lot less.

Moderators are suppose to moderate, when people come here for advice or suggestions they dont need to be berated for the choice of hardware they use. And when those people do, they lend no help to the person asking for help or the discussion.

Look at all the posts for people asking help and notice that when someone tells them they bought garbage, or berated them for the hardware they never come back to reply.

Those that behave this way are not of any use to the topic and should be infracted. We are all suppose to be here to help, yes our personal preferences come into to play, it is how you present it that makes it worth while.

"Or don't use Apple hardware?" added nothing to the discussion of his problem. Instead insulted him for using a iMac. These are "computer forums" Not PC only forums.
    Why are we still going, the moderator told to stop and I was happy to leave it at that yet no, you need to quote me, bring my attention and have it go on resulting in, most likely, a infraction for both. I did NOT say YOU called me a "moron". That other person (Kagthul) did. Literally.

His quote:
    you should probably educate yourself before you look more like a moron.
    too late.

Nowhere in my message I directed that quote to you personally.

With that said and hopefully everything clear now, let us all stop derailing this thread.
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2017-09-28 at 12:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are free to report me to any global mod (blue name) or admin (red name) via PM or by reporting my post. If you want to complain about moderation, that's also the proper route. Complaining within posts will only lead to infractions.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is all so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    You are free to report me to any global mod (blue name) or admin (red name) via PM or by reporting my post. If you want to complain about moderation, that's also the proper route. Complaining within posts will only lead to infractions.
    If you guys were any more out of touch with the posting community here, and the contempt they hold your entire "process" in, it would worthy of inclusion in the World Records book.

"Moderation" is flagrantly biased; in addition, the "DONT TALK ABOUT MODERATION" rule ensures that the entire system is opaque and indecipherable.

Reporting you to a global mod would be pointless. They aren't any more well trained than you are (which is to say, they receive no training of any kind and have no idea what kind of laws, statues, and guideliness apply to the job) and are inclined to simply cover for their fellow moderators since there is no transparency to the process.

So its the worst of all worlds.

Moderators can operate with impunity in a completely biased fashion, moderate threads they are posting in as posters, do whatever they want (including insult people, like you just did in this thread).

Any complaint about said moderator dissappears into a black hole that no one is allowed to see. AND you're not allowed to talk about it. So *poof*, it's just gone.

Oh, have a problem with the infantile excuse for moderation?

You get threatened by the moderators.

Meanwhile, some posters are allowed to endlessly shitpost to their hearts content without ever being infracted; but if you DARE to reply to them, YOU'RE the one that gets infracted.

Fun times.

Infract away, power-trippy insult-mod.

Ive already filed the paperwork to levy another fine against the site with the EU Comission and the FCC.

I think this is a software issue, not a hardware one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinelogixtech View Post
    I think this is a software issue, not a hardware one.
    I agree, but I think the OP abandoned this thread.