Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question How the hell does loot work now?

It's just given randomly to folks? I remember when loot would drop and you would roll need or greed...what happened to that? Not sure I like this new system.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

The new system, loot drops - and it is yours. Loot doesn't drop - and it isn't.

BUT THERE IS A BONUS.

If someone doesn't need something, they can CHOOSE to give it to you.

Best loot system ever

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    group loot, the most entertaining one, still exists but by default it's personal loot

As mentioned you can turn it back on if you want, but most stick with Personal based loot these days.

Works out great and as mentioned again, people can trade it to you if they don't need it.

If you have it set to personal loot then its basically just you have a X percent chance of loot then if you hit that chance the game then gives you a Y percent on what you get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

BUT THERE IS A BONUS.

If someone doesn't need something, they can CHOOSE to give it to you.

Best loot system ever
    Actually, best way to describe it. Haha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    The actual internal workings of it vary from content to content... to the point where it's too complicated to really worry about. Most flex raid content gives you 20% chance of an item per person on the tag when the boss dies (so killing a boss with 10 gives you 200% = 2 items and killing a boss with 13 = 260% = 2 items and 60% chance of a third). Then the items are randomly rolled out to random people, and then the actual item is decided based on the loot spec of the winner.

However on some things (like old LFR raids) everyone who kills a boss gets a piece of loot every time, and meanwhile some other content has a fixed number of drops, or in the case of m+ the number of drops is affected by what you did (you get more loot drops if you beat the timer)

The simple answer is... don't worry about it. Kill the boss, and you get loot or you don't. Trade the loot around if people don't need what they got. (You will always get loot relevant to your class and spec, but it might not necessarily be an upgrade)
    Looking for laid-back casual raiding on EU?
    Our community is looking for more players: Take a look and hit me up for info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

BUT THERE IS A BONUS.

If someone doesn't need something, they will REFUSE to give it to you. Or the game won't let them.

Best loot system ever
    Fixed that for you.
    Great improvement over the system that let anyone who could use and need/wanted that gear and could have a stake in getting it. Now it's based even more on chance and the hope that someone doesn't immediately vendor/DE something you've been grinding for. /rolleyes
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Broke that for you.
    Why did you do that for ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    The actual internal workings of it vary from content to content... to the point where it's too complicated to really worry about. Most flex raid content gives you 20% chance of an item per person on the tag when the boss dies (so killing a boss with 10 gives you 200% = 2 items and killing a boss with 13 = 260% = 2 items and 60% chance of a third). Then the items are randomly rolled out to random people, and then the actual item is decided based on the loot spec of the winner.

However on some things (like old LFR raids) everyone who kills a boss gets a piece of loot every time, and meanwhile some other content has a fixed number of drops, or in the case of m+ the number of drops is affected by what you did (you get more loot drops if you beat the timer)

The simple answer is... don't worry about it. Kill the boss, and you get loot or you don't. Trade the loot around if people don't need what they got. (You will always get loot relevant to your class and spec, but it might not necessarily be an upgrade)
    What old LFR gave EVERYONE an item? can you tell me, because cata when it was introduced didnt, it would give you a bag if you didnt get a peice of loot, and that could have stuff like flasks, gold, gems, and i heard even BOE's in them, but no way "everyone got loot"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Great improvement over the system that let anyone who could use and need/wanted that gear and could have a stake in getting it. Now it's based even more on chance and the hope that someone doesn't immediately vendor/DE something you've been grinding for. /rolleyes
    The chance isn't really any lower than it was before. It's just done in reverse.

Before: Boss dies. Roll to decide the items which dropped. Roll to decide, of the people who can use it, who gets the item

Now: Boss dies. Roll to decide who gets the items. Roll to decide which item from the list items the person who won can use.

So before you picked the item, then who gets it. Now you pick the person, then what they get. That's all.

The actual chance of getting one specific item you want isn't that much different from then till now, assuming you have a balanced raid setup in both cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    What old LFR gave EVERYONE an item? can you tell me, because cata when it was introduced didnt, it would give you a bag if you didnt get a peice of loot, and that could have stuff like flasks, gold, gems, and i heard even BOE's in them, but no way "everyone got loot"
    I mean if you run outdated LFR content. I'm talking about the Live game. Go run LFR SoO in Live right now with personal loot, for example. If you two-man it, you should both get loot from each boss

Deleted
    What i want is to be able to set 30 man raid when solo SoO and WoD normals and heroics to get more than two items when farming transmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    What i want is to be able to set 30 man raid when solo SoO and WoD normals and heroics to get more than two items when farming transmo.
    Yeah, that was always confusing for me. I run say ToT heroic-25, and get 5-7 pieces per kill. What happened when I do SoO under the new flex rules?

you get loot then type in chat i need it and /roll if necessary take all items people trade you

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    It's just given randomly to folks? I remember when loot would drop and you would roll need or greed...what happened to that? Not sure I like this new system.
    But you liked having someone roll need against you for their offspec and taking your gear? This system is better, you get roughly the same amount of gear as before, but people can't take it from you.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

It's called personal loot and it's very good for pugs, because it killed ninjas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Yeah, that was always confusing for me. I run say ToT heroic-25, and get 5-7 pieces per kill. What happened when I do SoO under the new flex rules?
    You have to make a raid group through the premade finder and then set group loot to get 2 items from a boss. Otherwise, you are forced to personal loot. where you cant receive items which are not in you loot tables but you can still wear them. like melee weapons with hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    SoO was when flex became a thing which is why u only get 1 or 2 pieces without a full group

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erinhia View Post
    The chance isn't really any lower than it was before. It's just done in reverse.

Before: Boss dies. Roll to decide the items which dropped. Roll to decide, of the people who can use it, who gets the item

Now: Boss dies. Roll to decide who gets the items. Roll to decide which item from the list items the person who won can use.

So before you picked the item, then who gets it. Now you pick the person, then what they get. That's all.

The actual chance of getting one specific item you want isn't that much different from then till now, assuming you have a balanced raid setup in both cases.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean if you run outdated LFR content. I'm talking about the Live game. Go run LFR SoO in Live right now with personal loot, for example. If you two-man it, you should both get loot from each boss
    I dont think yo ucan change the looot tpye on lfr
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I dont think yo ucan change the looot tpye on lfr
    You can't. That's the point. It's always on personal. But in legacy LFRs they give you loot when you're doing it in a small group.

Good lord why are you being so difficult lol