Alejandro Villanueva, hero of the NFL

By Cheryl K. Chumley - The Washington Times - Monday, September 25, 2017

When the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to stay their sorry selves in the locker room during the playing of the national anthem at Sunday’s game, the entire NFL fanbase, minus the Friends of Colin Kaepernick crowd, gave a collective sigh — a heavy, frustrated, “here we go again” sigh.

Then came Alejandro Villaneuva, jogging onto the football field to stand and place hand over heart as the anthem played. Alone.

And now Villaneuva’s the hero; his teammates, the dark-hearted.

Villaneuva is a U.S. Army veteran who served three tours in Afghanistan. It’s sad that his fellow teammates couldn’t put aside their partisan politicking for messages that aren’t based entirely on truths for the playing of the one song that’s supposed to unite all of America — for the one song that recognizes the great sacrifices of those who went before, those who gave so much, those who served as Villanueva did.

The Steelers were reportedly surprised that Villaneuva didn’t stay in the locker room with the rest of the team. According to ESPN, the plan was that the entire team would snub league rules that required on-field presence for the playing of the anthem, and instead stay in the locker room. The logic was that no single player could then be targeted for criticism.

But Villanueva chose country over team. And really, given his past criticisms of Kaepernick, king of the on-field political protest, it’s really not that surprising after all.

“I agree that America is not perfect,” he said, in response to last year’s bended-knee antics by Kaepernick. “I agree that there are a lot of issues with minorities in this country. I agree we should do something about it. But I don’t know if the most effective way is to sit down when the national anthem of the country that is providing you freedom and providing you $60 million a year is the best way to do it when there are black minorities that are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and protecting our freedom for less than $20,000 a year.”

Ouch. Good point, yes?

These NFL players who stand down on the anthem and take a knee in protest aren’t going out on a limb for their principles. They’re not risking their lives. They’re not even spending any money. And they’re certainly not displaying any type of valor or bravery. But you know who has and who is?

Villaneuva. First in the military and now, taking the lone voice in the wild approach to stand, in the stunned face of his Steelers‘ teammates, for his country, for his fellow veterans, for his patriotic fans and, most important, for a unifying principle that really matters.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ueva-hero-nfl/

It's nice to see that there are some players in the NFL, who are not the terrible, terrible human beings that Colin Kapernick, and his compadres are. Petulant millionaires kneeling for fake, or exaggerated causes are not heroes. This is a real hero, who picked up a real gun, and fought in a real war, putting his real life on the line. Nobody will make him disrespect what he has fought for.

When people protest the US flag, they are protesting the thing that allow them to protest at all: Freedom.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-09-25 at 01:51 PM.

I think you should update your sig bro.

Again, folks, again.

Not standing up during the national anthem is a perfectly admitted form a politic protest. It's a non violent protest too.

If you don't accept what, what kind of protest is acceptable for you ?

Getting sick of people using veterans as a talking point when its convenient to them. As a veteran, I dont care what they do. I served so they can stand, sit or kneel. Veterans served so people arent forced to do something. Remember how many times we have gone to war with countries that tried to do that shit...

So to correct your last sentence "When people protest the US flag, they are doing exactly what they have the freedom to do".

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think you should update your sig bro.
    Please don't derail the thread before anyone can discuss the topic. I will update my sig when it becomes untrue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    Getting sick of people using veterans as a talking point when its convenient to them. As a veteran, I dont care what they do. I served so they can stand, sit or kneel. Veterans served so people arent forced to do something. Remember how many times we have gone to war with countries that tried to do that shit...

So to correct your last sentence "When people protest the US flag, they are doing exactly what they have the freedom to do".
    You don't think it was brave to not participate in the misguided and unpatriotic display of his team mates? Regardless of his TRUE bravery, this act alone was more brave than anything his team mates have ever done.

Also, please don't mislead readers by using quotes around fake statements.

Also, him being a veteran doesn't magically make him not longer someone we are allowed to talk about. He made news yesterday, and we are discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    When people protest the US flag, they are protesting the thing that allow them to protest at all: Freedom.
    Careful, you'll be banned for baiting if you say that. American pride is a sin on these boards.

Please don't derail the thread before anyone can discuss the topic. I will update my sig when it becomes untrue.
    So you are denying the fact that Donald Trump is being investigated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    No, they protest against their freedom, and henceforth renounce to it.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Careful, you'll be banned for baiting if you say that. American pride is a sin on these boards.
    LOL

Yeah, anything pro American will be derided. But we haven't quite reached the point where they ban you for it. Close, but not quite.

LOL

Yeah, anything pro American will be derided. But we haven't quite reached the point where they ban you for it. Close, but not quite.
    I'd have to disagree with that. It happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    So you are denying the fact that Donald Trump is being investigated?
    There is no source on the record, as of yet, that has stated that Donald Trump is the subject of an FBI investigation. The other three are confirmed. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that. It happened to me.
    It's about to happen again, if you keep discussing moderation. Don't anger our Text Over Lords.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't think it was brave to not participate in the misguided and unpatriotic display of his team mates? Regardless of his TRUE bravery, this act alone was more brave than anything his team mates have ever done.

Also, please don't mislead readers by using quotes around fake statements.
    How so? by serving sure. By standing up? no it wasnt. Standing up is the generally accepted thing to do. Kap was brave by being that first person to do something he knew would be controversial. and i see nothing unpatriotic about it. Its sad people are more concerned about the protest than what is being protested. People arent mad about it being unpatriotic or disrespectful to those who served. People dont give a shit about veterans any other time. No, they are mad that the elephant in the room is finally blocking the door and has to be discussed. Call it unpatriotic or whatever, but it got people talking...and listening.

Jesus fucking Christ so any of the players that take a knee as a silent protest to issues they feel are important are terrible human beings. So because they don't treat the flag like a sacred cow praising at it's feet every day they are terrible people fuck off with that jingoistic cult bullshit. Guess what protest is American it is free speech get the fuck over it. You say these guys are un-American but if the way you are acting if this was during the Revolutionary War you would be a British loyalist. You would be calling out American Revolutionaries for daring to go against the crown. So be happy in the irony that you are in fact un-American stating these guys are being un-American by protesting.

Deleted
    Even Stevie took a knee. I think killing people unnecessarily is more devisive than kneeling down.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says freedom like compulsory patriotism, right?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already a thread discussing the Trump/NFL players conflict, that did not need another thread. Closing this.

CLOSED.